MY 1ST COIN PURCHASE!...A NEW YEAR AND A NEW FOCUS...THE MEDICI...GODFATHERS OFTHE RENAISSANCE

ominus1

just made a purchase..i have two budding Artist in my family that i'm am a patron & benefactor of, and of late i've refreshed my learning of those who in the past brought us out of the dark ages (amongst others things for some :P) with art, architecture, knowledge about our place in the very universe, to name a few.. so here's some art of my Artists  and the coin of Cosimo De Medici, l i just paid for (sellers pics, i'll give the lowdown gets it!^^)

ADD YOUR COINS N COMMENTS PEEPS! ;D

a holed guilio coin 1572, of Cosimo De Medici l

Cosimo l.jpg

IMG_1883.JPG

IMG_1884.JPG

IMG_1879 - Copy.JPG

Edited by ominus1
  • Like 11
  • Clap 2

• ominus1 changed the title to MY 1ST COIN PURCHASE!...A NEW YEAR AND A NEW FOCUS...THE MEDICI...GODFATHERS OFTHE RENAISSANCE

Fantastic artwork, @ominus1!  I have to especially like the upper picture in the middle photo.  There's a serious colorist in the house!

I don't have anything at all from the period (apart from, um, Tudor), but that Cosimo is very cool.  I need it how the Medici's arms were six pills. 

In heraldry, that's called a 'canting device;' granted, they could've just said 'visual pun.'  They go back to the 12th century.  Here's a favorite early example.  This is of Richard de Luci, a Chief Justiciar of Henry II from 1154 to 1179.

image.png.ce2bc9404f11faea37ee5e9310c66c47.png

Gules three lucies (a kind of fish I'd never heard of) or.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@ominus1, thanks for the illuminating comments!  You succeeded in prompting a little Googling. 

And, Yep, I'm busted!   Regarding the heraldry, this proposes coins (/bezants)  --the likelier candidate as a possible origin, along with pills; but the consensus seems to revolve around around something completely different.

https://www.thoughtco.com/interesting-facts-about-the-medici-coat-of-arms-4070875 

The lucy, as it turns out (all news to me), is a species of pike.  This Wiki article gets into the related heraldry, with a later variant of the arms, but from the same family.  From here, the gar was a good guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esox 

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

Great coin and even better art!
I'm especially a fan of the Moana/Ariel/Rapunzel piece. I'm pretty certain my daughter has colored a similar if not the same picture. 
Unfortunately, I don't have it framed but I do have it stored away somewhere. With 4 kids (3 who have reached and passed coloring age), we have quite a lot of artwork around the house. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Smile 2
  • Smile 1

...I need how Picasso said, likely at some point in his later life (...and this will be the loosest of paraphrases, even from translation; You Were Warned) that all great art originates in someone beginning from childhood.  In effect, the people who do the best of it are the ones who never stop.

• Like 1
  • Cool Think 1