A historical figure I like added to my album

ambr0zie

In a galaxy far far away, more than 20 years ago, I was in high school and I borrowed a book from a colleague. It was "La dame de Monsoreau" by Dumas (I think in English it was translated as Chicot the Jester"). I ended the first volume in a night (just to see it's just the first volume) and impatiently waited to ask the 2nd volume. And I read it at the same pace. 

The book tells the story of the last Valois king - Henri III (1574-1589), an eccentric (and weak) king in a turbulent era of France, where the political fight for power was at its peak and also the religious conflicts were a big problem - between Catholics and Huguenots, one of the very bad episodes being the infamous night of St. Bartholomew, right before Henri's reign, when the king was his brother, Charles IX. 

The main character is the king's jester, who is depicted as a very brave and smart man (and of course, with a fantastic sense of humor). This lead to a small obsession about court jesters and I was able to understand more about this kind of characters and their roles. And there is a love arc but let's not provide too many spoilers. 

After finishing the book I tried to read everything I could about the period - including the successor, the great king Henri IV of Bourbon and the predecessors. And for me it is one of the fascinating periods of world history. 

But let's talk about coins. Owning a Henri III coin became a goal for me as soon as I started collecting (many years after). I even had the idea to start collecting French coins in an organized way  but for the moment it's not a priority. But a Henri III coin - that's a different story!. 

About 10 years ago I bought this very bad example from a small numismatic show. And after a few days I just had a wild thought - wouldn't that be a Henri III?!

image.png.7390cd1dc7f4ded2534193878f93e9b5.png

(sorry about the poor image, I found this picture in my mailbox). 

And it was! the visible L in the legend can only be from FRANC ET POL as he was the only king with this legend. For me it was a fantastic discovery. 

Sure, even if I am a budget collector, some limits are ... too low so I wanted a presentable Henri III. This happened on Christmas, 2019, when I gifted myself a 1/4 ecu 

image.png.e79c713b7bd72dc5f6517185a92a7f14.png

27 mm, 9,3 g.
France. Henri III 1574-1589. AR 1/4 ecu. Bayonne. 1583.
HENRICVS. III. D. G. FRAN. E. POL. RX. 1583, stylized cross / SIT NOMEN. DOMINI. BENEDICTVM (MM) (ANCRE). - L, (legend starts at 6 o clock), Ecu of France crowned, accosted of II - II.
Mintage 119045.
C.1438; L.973; Dy.1133; Sb.4662 (8 ex.).

Well, now we're talking. Clear legend, easy to attribute, good aspect. 
Still I still wanted a coin with his portrait. This wasn't a major target especially since French coins rarely appear in the auctions I frequent ... until, at the end of December, I saw a very good candidate. 

image.png.7293ca27a61c8caae1e798cd608af6a0.png

From the moment I saw this coin I knew it would be a good addition. And I also suspected that it's not toning, it's an ugly case of silver horn. I am not the biggest fan of cleaning (especially since I am not an expert) but in some cases, you just have to do it. 

The coin was not correctly attributed. I strongly think this auction house just uses random descriptions with copy/paste. It was listed as a franc, but the size and weight - 26.4 mm and 6.4 g - suggested a demi franc. Wrong legends, wrong year .... (A few months ago it was listed as 1/4 ecu, so they keep trying). 

The small flan made a clear attribution a little challenging but in the end, two forum colleagues - @Ursus and @Qcumbor (I want to take this opportunity to thank them both for their expertise and time) confirmed my assumption and I was able to attribute the coin correctly. 

Today it arrived and I think the cleaning was a good decision. It only took a small 30 seconds soak in thiosulphate. The coin was uglier than in pics - the black "toning" was fdarker and obscuring the design. 

image.png.5aea06f9e03f1c9fee1d57e4f64c13a7.png

26,4 mm, 6,48 g.
France. Henri III 1574-1589. AR demi franc au col plat. Bayonne. 1580.
HENRICVS. III. D. G. FRANCOR. ET. P. REX. L (mintmark), laureate and cuirased bust right / + SIT. NOMEN. DOMINI. BENEDICTVM, cross fleurée around H.
Duplessy 1131; C. 1430-1431; L. 971; Sb. 4716.

The best example? Of course not. But it filled the gap in a good way - a coin with a good portrait, from one of the kings I really wanted in my collection. 

Please post coins from a similar period OR (and I would be very glad to see these) - coins from rulers or periods that you like after reading about them, so you decided to buy some coins from their reigns.

• Like 15
  • Clap 1

I already liked the coin when I looked at the pics you sent me via PM, but now that I see how it cleaned up I have to say it is indeed a very nice example of the type! Most Henri III demi-francs I have seen online, including those owned by the BNF, are in worse shape. To illustrate the point, the big majority of the examples currently offered on MA-Shops have way less obverse detail left.

Here are two slightly earlier 16th century coins from my collection that I particularly like. The first one came to me as a Secret Saturnalia gift from @Qcumbor:

FruheNeuzeitFrankreichHeinrichIIdouzain1550Lyon.png.2b4cb7842ca6aaa5b3c289cf53743ab0.png

Kingdom of France, under Henry II, AR douzain aux croissants, 1550 AD, Lyons mint. Obv: + HENRICVS 2 · DEI · G · FRANCORV · REX · F · (lis); crowned French coat of arms; to l. and r., crown above crescent. Rev: + SIT · NOMEN DNI · BENEDICTVM · 1550 · (lis); pellet below 12th letter; cross fleurée with H and crown alternating in quarters; D below. 27mm 2.46g. Ref: Duplessy 997.

FruheNeuzeitFrankreichKarlIXsolparisis1566.png.851e776f96d3f34b4fed3a85ce95013c.png

Kingdom of France, under Charles IX, AR sol parisis, 1566 AD, Poitiers mint. Obv: +CAROLVS•IX•DEI•G•FRAN•REX; crowned French coat of arms. Rev: +SIT•NOMEN•DNI•BENEDIC 1566; cross fleury with mint mark G in center. 21mm 1.51g. Ref: Duplessy  1083.

Edited by Ursus
  • Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1

I was aware of the existence of Byzantine hexagrams, of course.  They often are very crudely struck, and the obverses are similar to contemporary solidi.  Solidi from the Heraclian dynasty are common, and available in outstanding condition.  And until recently, with the increased emphasis on condition which is sweeping through Byzantine numismatics, the outstanding solidi did not command much of a premium.  So why think about hexagrams?

Then, I read this paper https://www.academia.edu/39929430/A_note_reconsidering_the_message_of_Heraclius_sliver_hexagram_circa_AD_615 on Academia by Douglas Whelan. His thesis is that the inscription on the reverse of the hexagrams has been interpreted incorrectly.  The inscription reads DEUS AdIUTA ROMANIS, usually translated as “God help the Romans,” expressing the dread at this perilous juncture in history when the armies of the Caliphate were conquering the Eastern provinces which Heraclius had only recently recaptured from the Persians. 

Whelan draws on many sources, including the Strategikon of Maurice Tiberius, to suggest an alternative interpretation.  An interesting fact is that the Byzantine troops were still using Latin military commands.  And the battle cry, just before engaging, was AdIUTA….DEUS!  So the reverse inscription on the hexagram is less a desperate plea for help, and more an expression of defiance.  More akin to Mountjoie! St Denis! Or God, Harry and St. George! Or Beauseant! Or Charge! Or Banzai!…..Well, you get the idea.

I found the paper so convincing that I wanted an example of the hexagram for myself.  It was speedily apparent that a coin with the whole motto was not easy to find (nor cheap) owing to their careless striking.  But this example suited me.

2024.3. CONSTANS II 641-668 AD HEXAGRAM.

-partial brockage of reverse and partial reverse emphasizing the inscription dEUS AdIUTA ROMANIS.  Usually read as God help the Romans, alluding to the desperate condition of the empire;  alternatively it is an echo of the East Roman battle cry of the army.    Teutoburger Münzaktion 14 Dec 2023

image.png.135fd6198e9f99efeacfaab73f02f352.pngimage.jpeg.2b1eacf105f95bfe4f78432eb5fcc104.jpeg

DEUS ADIU…MANIS on the reverse, …MANIS in retrograde on the obverse.  My imagination is happy to supply the rest.  

Edited by Hrefn
Grammar
  • Like 8

Neat topic! I have zilch from Henri III...

That French movie, "Queen Margot" was about that event.

But I have some from Charles IX and Pope Gregory XIII.

Papal States/ Bologna

AV Scudo d'oro ND

Bologna Mint

Pope Gergorio XIII 1572-85

France/ Valois Kings

AV Ecu d'or 1567-C

Saint-Lô Mint

Charles IX 1550-74

Some French Protestants that escaped the massacre of Saint Barts fled to Germany. Two of the best fighter aces in history (Hans Joachim Marseille, "the Star of Africa" 158 victories and Adolf Galland 106 were of French Huguenot ancestry. Shows how intermingled the World is.

16d073e3d0c61197f7f9ba1d9b6d1005 (1).jpg

e81eda2478cf0c7efb0f003d8aa1e1c1 (1).jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Hrefn said:

I was aware of the existence of Byzantine hexagrams, of course.  They often are very crudely struck, and the obverses are similar to contemporary solidi.  Solidi from the Heraclian dynasty are common, and available in outstanding condition.  And until recently, with the increased emphasis on condition which is sweeping through Byzantine numismatics, the outstanding solidi did not command much of a premium.  So why think about hexagrams?

Then, I read this paper https://www.academia.edu/39929430/A_note_reconsidering_the_message_of_Heraclius_sliver_hexagram_circa_AD_615 on Academia by Douglas Whelan. His thesis is that the inscription on the reverse of the hexagrams has been interpreted incorrectly.  The inscription reads DEUS AdIUTA ROMANIS, usually translated as “God help the Romans,” expressing the dread at this perilous juncture in history when the armies of the Caliphate were conquering the Eastern provinces which Heraclius had only recently recaptured from the Persians. 

Whelan draws on many sources, including the Strategikon of Maurice Tiberius, to suggest an alternative interpretation.  An interesting fact is that the Byzantine troops were still using Latin military commands.  And the battle cry, just before engaging, was AdIUTA….DEUS!  So the reverse inscription on the hexagram is less a desperate plea for help, and more an expression of defiance.  More akin to Mountjoie! St Denis! Or God, Harry and St. George! Or Beauseant! Or Charge! Or Banzai!…..Well, you get the idea.

I found the paper so convincing that I wanted an example of the hexagram for myself.  It was speedily apparent that a coin with the whole motto was not easy to find (nor cheap) owing to their careless striking.  But this example suited me.

2024.3. CONSTANS II 641-668 AD HEXAGRAM.

-partial brockage of reverse and partial reverse emphasizing the inscription dEUS AdIUTA ROMANIS.  Usually read as God help the Romans, alluding to the desperate condition of the empire;  alternatively it is an echo of the East Roman battle cry of the army.    Teutoburger Münzaktion 14 Dec 2023

image.png.135fd6198e9f99efeacfaab73f02f352.pngimage.jpeg.2b1eacf105f95bfe4f78432eb5fcc104.jpeg

DEUS ADIU…MANIS on the reverse, …MANIS in retrograde on the obverse.  My imagination is happy to supply the rest.  

• Thanks 1