Any ideas on this Spanish cob?

lordmarcovan

I was wondering if anybody could provide attribution information and/or a rough date range on this Spanish cob? It is not my coin, and not in hand. Nor do I know the diameter and weight yet, though I have sent a request for that information to the seller.

What I find intriguing is that it apparently comes with an old collection envelope, showing that somebody paid a dollar for it in 1943.

It looks like it might be pretty small, so I'm guessing a half-real, maybe? Or one real? There's that "I" on there. But from which country/mint? And when? I'm out of my depth here.

Thanks!

s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg

Edited by lordmarcovan
  • Like 9

It's a 1 real, upside down. The first image is the obverse with lions and castles. There might be a date at the bottom (when it's turned around). The second is all the information. There would have been 9 squares and you have the top rows. The I is a 1. The letters in the square above (below) that are SVL, which with the adjacent squares spell PLV SVL TRA (Plus Ultra).The mint would be a letter in the top left next to the 1. Possibly Potosi, definitely South America, 1650-1750-ish.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 4
  • Smile 1
  • Cool Think 2

...it was a Habsburg...9_9......i lQQked at a million of'em, but i couldn't say for sure exactly....John above seems to have a good idea melord...:)  (and btw, that's a super kool historic in itself envelope with it Sir 🙂 )

Edited by ominus1
  • Like 1
  • Smile 1

Ok well that's good the ID was the same 🤣

I don't think it's worth too much. The value comes if you have more of the lettering. But you can work out the denomination, mint and assayer so that's pretty good. You see them for all sorts of prices even in this condition ($40-200) but I think it should be at the lower end. Good for a giveaway anyway.

• Like 2
  • Cool Think 2

2 hours ago, lordmarcovan said:

buying it for my giveaway stash

...well, you get it put me down!...i don't have a 'real' real in my collection (but not from lack of trying)..AND that envelope raises the value in my opinion! ^^  or shoot me a price and i'll send you money for the coin and put a lil profit on it and you can buy more coins for you giveaway!  thanks melord! 😄

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ominus1 said:

...well, you get it put me down!...i don't have a 'real' real in my collection (but not from lack of trying)..AND that envelope raises the value in my opinion! ^^  or shoot me a price and i'll send you money for the coin and put a lil profit on it and you can buy more coins for you giveaway!  thanks melord! 😄

Somebody else bought it, as it happens.  Maybe I tipped them off with the discussion threads about it.  The buyer got it for less than $35.

• Like 1
  • Cry 2

3 hours ago, lordmarcovan said:

Somebody else bought it, as it happens.  Maybe I tipped them off with the discussion threads about it.  The buyer got it for less than $35.

Good price. Probably because the seller didn't ID it. Now if they'd called it 'pirate treasure cob from the Bolivian silver mines' and put it on for $200...

• Laugh 2

6 hours ago, ominus1 said:

..well darn...it wasn't me melord...and curses to whoever got it!!

Nahhh, more power to ‘em.  I would have made an offer, but you snooze, you lose.  Would’ve been fun to add a cheap silver cob to my giveaway stash, and that 1943 envelope was cool, but I’m not sweatin’ it.

• Smile 2
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor
23 hours ago, lordmarcovan said:

I’m thinking of buying it for my giveaway stash.  It’s not terribly expensive.  Thanks for the information, y’all.  It pretty much echoes what I was told over on Collectors Universe.  1 real from Potosí.

On CT, I was told @robinjojo knows something on this subject?

Sorry not to chime in sooner, but the posts about this 1 real cob are spot on.  As a lower denomination coin, it saw much more circulation as evidenced by the wear.  I agree that it is a mid to later 18th century coin.  Technically the coin should weigh around 3.3841 grams, but I am sure the OP coin weighs quite a bit less.

One and two reales cobs are popular for use in jewelry. The denominations under two reales do not attract as many collectors compared to the larger "pieces of eight".   However, these collectors are very dedicated to collecting these diminutive minors; the last Sedwick auction had some pretty spirited bidding for many of the one real cobs from the Clyde Hubbard collection. 

I think a one real or even a half real cob would make a nice prize coin.  Worn examples are plentiful so you shouldn't have difficulty finding one for under $20.  I can check with my local coin dealer to see if he has any, if you wish.  

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 3

On 1/12/2024 at 5:28 PM, robinjojo said:

I think a one real or even a half real cob would make a nice prize coin.  Worn examples are plentiful so you shouldn't have difficulty finding one for under $20.  I can check with my local coin dealer to see if he has any, if you wish.  

That would be nice.  Thanks!