Anyone receive anything from Jesus Vico 18 ?

Heliodromus

Just curious if anyone yet received their purchase, or even a shipping confirmation, from last month's Jesus Vico auction # 18 ?

I got an e-mail from them 3-4 days after the auction asking for an ID per Spanish regulations, but have heard nothing since.

Be prepared for a good 6 or even 8-10 weeks with Jesus Vico. That's completely normal for them. It's the same with Tauler & Fau.

That's how you know it's a serious Spanish auction house. 

For the export of each coin, they need a certification from the state. That alone can take 4 weeks or more. Only then is the export licence ready.

There is also a well-known Spanish dealer - whose name I will not mention. He delivers from Spain within 3-4 days. And if you are honest - that is not serious. Because the Spanish documents are never ready so quickly.

Therefore - Jesus Vico delivers, you don't have to worry about that.
But they can't be held responsible for the delays.

But don't write them an email about where the goods are 😄 ... unless you want to get an angry e-mail back. It already happened to a collector colleague and me.

But I still like to climb there. I know that it sometimes takes 6-8 weeks. But I also know that they don't make fake papers, but real export papers. And that I get serious goods. Then it just takes a little while.

• Like 3

• Benefactor
5 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Be prepared for a good 6 or even 8-10 weeks with Jesus Vico. That's completely normal for them. It's the same with Tauler & Fau.

That's how you know it's a serious Spanish auction house. 

For the export of each coin, they need a certification from the state. That alone can take 4 weeks or more. Only then is the export licence ready.

There is also a well-known Spanish dealer - whose name I will not mention. He delivers from Spain within 3-4 days. And if you are honest - that is not serious. Because the Spanish documents are never ready so quickly.

Therefore - Jesus Vico delivers, you don't have to worry about that.
But they can't be held responsible for the delays.

But don't write them an email about where the goods are 😄 ... unless you want to get an angry e-mail back. It already happened to a collector colleague and me.

But I still like to climb there. I know that it sometimes takes 6-8 weeks. But I also know that they don't make fake papers, but real export papers. And that I get serious goods. Then it just takes a little while.

I have bought ancient coins at retail from two or three different Spanish dealers who've send them right away via Federal Express without any export permits. I have been told that permits are not required under certain circumstances, having to do with (1) low value, and/or (2) the existence of documentation that the coin did not originate in Spain.

On the other hand, after my experience with never getting my coin from Cayon Subastas that I bought at auction in February, which was lost in the mail after it took them more than a month to get the export permit to begin with  -- and given that the exact same thing happened to several other U.S. buyers at that auction -- I am so disillusioned that, even though I did get a refund, I don't think I'll ever buy anything at auction from a Spanish dealer again.

• Like 1

The high end auction houses in Spain started getting serious about the export licenses a couple of years ago.  The requirement has been in place for several years.  Not sure what occurred that caused nearly all of them to start requesting export licenses suddenly.  I won a lot in Vico 161 and had a similar experience.  They sent me an email requesting an ID, either a passport or a drivers license ID.  The coin arrived about 4 1/2 weeks after the auction.

Just a note on Vico.  In my nearly 50 years of active collecting, I've lost 2 coins in the mail.  One was from Vico in a 2013 auction.  They gave me a full refund when the postal trace failed.  They are an old and well established auction house.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I don't think I'll ever buy anything at auction from a Spanish dealer again.

9 hours ago, SteveJBrinkman said:

Just a note on Vico.  In my nearly 50 years of active collecting, I've lost 2 coins in the mail.  One was from Vico in a 2013 auction.  They gave me a full refund when the postal trace failed.  They are an old and well established auction house.

Absolut - Jesus Vico and Tauler & Fan are very serious houses - you can trust them!