Hrefn Top Ten 2023

Hrefn

4 hours ago, Rand said:

Just to confuse PF vs PP discussion further...

a presumably pre-Totilla Ostrogothic tremissis in the name of Justinian. 

https://www.biddr.com/auctions/pliego/browse?a=799&l=840396

That is MEC I 123.  A certain celator of Athalaric would leave off the second crossbar of the F in PFAVC on the OBV, so it looks like a gamma.  In adddition, the A and V are conjoint in “AVC”.   

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hrefn said:

That is MEC I 123.  A certain celator of Athalaric would leave off the second crossbar of the F in PFAVC on the OBV, so it looks like a gamma.  In adddition, the A and V are conjoint in “AVC”.

True. It also means Ostrogoths did not completely abandon PF in the legend in Rome replacing by PP - even before Totila.

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/1/2024 at 7:19 PM, Rand said:

After your previous feedback, I accepted another series of VGC tremisses as non-Gepidic. However, I am still curious if Gepids could have minted gold coins (why could they not). A growing number of VGC series are not imperial and outside Ostrogothic Rome/Ravenna/Milan. Demo attributes a couple of tremisses to Siscia/Sisak, but the only justification I can see is that they were found in the region.

Good morning.
At the moment, from an archaeological point of view, there is no evidence of gold coins that can be ascribed with certainty to the Gepids and belong to them.
Unfortunately, from a scientific point of view, at least 85% of the coins of the so-called "Sirmium group" (that set of silver coins that are conventionally defined as 1/4 siliqua or 1/2 siliqua) do not come from scientific stratigraphic excavations therefore studies are certainly not facilitated.
At the moment, with the evidence that exists, scholars believe that only silver coins were minted in the Sirmium area between the Ostrogothic age and the defeat of the Gepids by the Lombards. But we are open to any revision when there is data to this effect.

• Like 4