Tickets and tags thread

Rand

I would appreciate suggestions on what dealer could have produced the envelopes and tickets below. I have not found previous sales for the coins. The envelopes are likely from previous sales as there were also separate plastic Stack's envelopes - unless the paper envelopes were used to send coins for PCGS grading. Salton Collection on the PCGS tickets refers to the latest sale. Thank you.

Stack's Bowers Galleries. January 2023 NYINC Auction. 13/01/2023

Lot 26313

image.jpeg.8bd2bef46de5b988a485caceab7702b6.jpeg

image.jpeg.be63db04b0193abf6e5e864f4d07aa86.jpeg

Lot 26312

image.jpeg.9f4e7ca560a08200c888c192ad419c1e.jpeg

image.jpeg.c126244e429a18713092e8d72488e710.jpeg

Edited by Rand
  • Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Yes 1

This article about Mark and Lottie Salton includes a picture of one of their envelopes. Looks identical to your envelopes with the same A-XXX numbers.

https://muenzenwoche.de/die-sammlung-von-mark-und-lottie-salton-in-kooperationsauktion/

There is also a english version of this article but without the envelope picture.

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

Is there a page of identified tickets somewhere?

There are previous posts about tickets (which I consulted), but they were about specific tickets and appeared closed. Unless I missed a generic one, which would be good to have.

• Like 2

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Rand said:

There are previous posts about tickets (which I consulted), but they were about specific tickets and appeared closed. Unless I missed a generic one, which would be good to have.

These links are focused on the identification of tickets of dealers in British coins, but they're useful for ancient coin collectors as well, given that many dealers have sold both:

https://www.britnumsoc.org/images/BIOGRAPHIES/6_Coin_Tikts/Coin-Tickets-Main-List-008.pdf

https://www.britnumsoc.org/images/BIOGRAPHIES/Coin-Tickets-Recent-Additions-011.pdf

See also this CT thread, with examples posted by @Curtis JJ and @Curtisimo:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/a-game-then-a-resource-old-collector-tags-tickets-envelopes-how-many-do-you-recognize.407126/

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @DonnaML, @Curtis JJ and @Curtisimo

My envelopes and tags match those from "3. Manilla 2x2 coin envelopes PLUS circular white tags, handwritten." (Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/a-game-then-a-resource-old-collector-tags-tickets-envelopes-how-many-do-you-recognize.407126/) that leads again to the Mark and Lottie Salton Collection. From how I read them, the envelopes and tags do not mention previous sales. Although I cannot determine what ML.II.7 and ML.II.15 refer to, ML is likely be a reference publication.

I see at least one of my other tags differently now. I thought it was the latest seller's tag. It has multiple handwriting, possibly from writing the new price (in pencil) on an old tag.

It would be helpful to have a thread on the topic. If there is no designated thread for the topic, shall I rename this one as the 'Thickets and tags thread'?

Edited by Rand
  • Like 3
  • Yes 1

• Rand changed the title to Tickets and tags thread
  • Benefactor
On 12/26/2023 at 7:31 AM, Rand said:

From how I read them, the envelopes and tags do not mention previous sales. Although I cannot determine what ML.II.7 and ML.II.15 refer to, ML is likely be a reference publication

I wonder if this refers to Mateu y Llopis' 1936 catalog of Visigoth coins. Attaching the Clain-Stefanelli entry. 

20231231_113443.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, @rNumis It may do. I hoped to get this catalogue for better pictures of some tremisses republished in Tomasini's book. These tremisses are not in the MAN online catalogue. I have yet to be able to get Mateu y Llopis's catalogue, but I will keep trying.

• Like 2

Thank you very much, @rNumis

I have compiled a list/images of coins from Tomasini's book. 
It does look like the ticket references were made to Mateu y Llopis' 1936 catalogue of Visigoth coins!!! Coin no. 15 was attributed correctly. Coin no. 7 was attributed as closely as possible - except that since Tomasini's book, we attribute them to Burgundians rather than Visigoths.

The finding could imply that the coin tickets were made before the 1964 Tomasini book.

Despite not being shown in the online catalogue, I hope the coins survived WWII in the same museum. I have not seen any coins plated below in the trade.

image.png.a53b8753891132ef70a2ffaee5c399a8.png

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

• Benefactor
8 hours ago, Rand said:

It does look like the ticket references were made to Mateu y Llopis' 1936 catalogue of Visigoth coins!!!

Excellent.  It looks like the question is answered, but if you need anything else from that catalog, let me know. Cheers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1