CoinsWeekly Special FAKES, COUNTERFEITS & IMITATIONS

• Benefactor

I raised an eyebrow at the headlined article's assertion that "Today, it is almost impossible to buy or sell an expensive coin without a holder in the U.S. or Asia." The author is Ursula Kampmann, and I suppose the accuracy of her statement depends on what she means by "expensive," and exactly what kind of coins she's talking about. For me, it means anything more than a few hundred dollars, and using that definition, her statement certainly isn't remotely true of ancient coins. In fact, one can buy plenty of "raw" ancient coins in the USA that cost in the thousands of dollars.

• Like 3
  • Yes 2

I cannot say I found this article terribly helpful. Sworn experts, experience, experience and so on, as usual.

• 'This guarantee means that collectors do not have to worry about their purchases.', and 'In Germany, for example, many dealers' associations even go one step further: they offer an unconditional warrant for the authenticity of the coins they sell. In this context, unconditional means that if, at some point in the distant future, a coin turns out to be a counterfeit after all, the buyer will receive a full refund. This guarantee means that collectors do not have to worry about their purchases.'

A full refund in the distant future means a fraction of the purchase value of the same money today... if the firm still exists. It would be different if the refund was complimented by additional compensation to account for inflation, expenses of the sworn experts and frustration. 

• International buyers are particularly vulnerable, and foreign companies could be out of reach for legal pursuits. It would help if the industry had a single body with fees paid by dealer members to compensate for sold forgeries. 
  • It would be good if the article gave more insights into modern analytics, which still sound like weighing, microscopy and X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy.
  • 'Do not choose just any expert, but one who specializes in the very area of the coin that you want to have examined.'

How do I do this?

Edited by Rand
  • Like 2

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Rand said:

I cannot say I found this article terribly helpful. Sworn experts, experience, experience and so on, as usual.

• 'This guarantee means that collectors do not have to worry about their purchases.', and 'In Germany, for example, many dealers' associations even go one step further: they offer an unconditional warrant for the authenticity of the coins they sell. In this context, unconditional means that if, at some point in the distant future, a coin turns out to be a counterfeit after all, the buyer will receive a full refund. This guarantee means that collectors do not have to worry about their purchases.'

A full refund in the distant future means a fraction of the purchase value of the same money today... if the firm still exists. It would be different if the refund was complimented by additional compensation to account for inflation, expenses of the sworn experts and frustration. 

• International buyers are particularly vulnerable, and forcing companies could be out of reach for legal pursuits. It would help if the industry had a single body with fees paid by dealer members to compensate for sold forgeries. 
  • It would be good if the article gave more insights into modern analytics, which still sound like weighing, microscopy and X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy.
  • 'Do not choose just any expert, but one who specializes in the very area of the coin that you want to have examined.'

How do I do this?

It's a very superficial article, I'm afraid. 

• Like 1