Seeking help to identify this piece of a coin, please.

Topcat7

I have this piece of a coin and while I think that it may be Byzantine, it could be Medieval, or something else.

It is bronze AE20.3mm., and (the piece I have weighs 0.84gm., which would put the whole coin at around 1.6gm.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. TIA.

Magical Snap - 2023.12.19 14.51 - 009.jpg

Magical Snap - 2023.12.19 14.53 - 010.jpg

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

On 12/19/2023 at 5:09 PM, ambr0zie said:

Medieval and World Crusader States, Antioch (Principality). Raymond of Poitiers, Æ Follis. 1136-1149. R-A-M in ornamental style within triangular pattern / AN TIOC HIЄ in three lines. CCS 17; Metcalf, Crusades 1995, 462. 

image.png.2c9d1a3658aa2a2e6f51659e99e86b42.png

@ambr0zie I don't know how you do it, but Thank you so much. I didn't know where to start so I 'floundered' around for a while.

Much appreciated.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Topcat7 said:

I don't know how you do it, but Thank you so much. I didn't know where to start so I 'floundered' around for a while.

Much appreciated.

You're welcome, glad I could help. I know how frustrating is to search and search and search without success and when I can, I try to help. 

• Like 3
  • Smile 1

• 4 weeks later...

...Oh, Blast --but in the best possible way.  Being this late to the party to start with, I got as far as going from the reverse legend to CCS.  But, Just Forget it, @ambr0zie nailed it so summarily that, no less summarily, I have to shut up. 

...Well, except that, just for the ostensible entertainment value, here's more of what happened.  Reflexively, I began at the opposite end of Malloy's listings for Antioch; the anonymous AEs at the very end of the series, from the mid-13th century.  Going backward from there, it was frankly surprising to find out (yes, effectively for the first time) how early these fun little minors were integral to the entire collective issue of the principality.

(And, well, um, @Topcat7, if you ever wanted to consider parting with your example, you'd be cordially welcome to message me from this forum. 

(Raymond of Poitiers has exactly no representation in my collection.  And I have no idea of the scarcity or price range of the issue.  (In safely presumed, pronounced contrast to @ambr0zie --no, you get No Points for false modesty!) 

(Except, between the operant reign, your brilliant pictures, and the aggregate funness of the thread, I'm liking it more the more I look at it.  ...Who knows how, as a coin, it became the metaphorical equivalent of, we could start with a veteran of WWI.  (...'The War to End All Wars' --more like, 'the Precedent to Begin All Precedents.')  But what's there is Brilliant.)

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 3

On 1/18/2024 at 1:21 PM, JeandAcre said:

(And, well, um, @Topcat7, if you ever wanted to consider parting with your example, you'd be cordially welcome to message me from this forum. 

(Raymond of Poitiers has exactly no representation in my collection.  And I have no idea of the scarcity or price range of the issue. 

@JeandAcre If you would like to send your address to me, I would be happy to 'gift' the coin to you.

• Gasp 1
  • Clap 1

On 1/18/2024 at 5:21 AM, JeandAcre said:

And I have no idea of the scarcity or price range of the issue.  (In safely presumed, pronounced contrast to @ambr0zie --no, you get No Points for false modesty!) 

To be honest, many of the coins I help in attributing (here or other places) are unknown for me. I just like detective work. This coin was certainly unknown for me. 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

Just now, ambr0zie said:

To be honest, many of the coins I help in attributing (here or other places) are unknown for me. I just like detective work. This coin was certainly unknown for me. 

I like the concept of "paying forward".

• Clap 1

3 hours ago, Topcat7 said:

@JeandAcre If you would like to send your address to me, I would be happy to 'gift' the coin to you.

@Topcat7, you succeeded in summarily, completely blowing my mind.  Your generosity is heroic.  THANK you.  ...WOW.

Messaging you is the next thing on the agenda.  Huge, Massive, Profound Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

3 hours ago, Topcat7 said:

...Oops, now the messaaging here is saying that you can't receive messages!  That happened recently when I tried to send an apology to @DonnaML for some rhetorical excess in a thread over the past couple of days.  Even tried sending it to myself, to keep as a draft, and that didn't work either!  This never happened before.  No idea....

• Cool Think 1

In reference to our messaging from the forum (which did eventually work --the ongoing electro-neural dementia of this desktop, still with Windows 7, was as likely the culprit as anything else), you're just That Good.  There needs to be an imogee for flinging your hat into the air.

• 3 weeks later...

@Topcat7, the coin got here today, and is (pun retroactively intended) an unalloyed joy.  Massive, Huge, Demonstrative Thanks.

Indian man saying thank you, holding hands in namaste gesture

In light of your demonstrably expert labelling of the (traditional, cardboard) flip, I'm in exactly no hurry to take it out.  But (otherwise) in hand, the edges of the flan, bordering on the missing bits, along with the remarkable clarity of the existing legends, begin to suggest that this may have begun life on a partial flan. 

This is when I wish I knew anything about how the flans themselves were generated, in this specific of a context .  There are plenty of Medievals guys here (and, I can't doubt, others in the Ancients camp) who are literate (and, from here, fluent) in this sort of thing.  ...I'm just not one of 'em!  

...Anyway, though, @Topcat7, Please receive my ongoing gratitude for your summary generosity.  Coins were meant to be as multi-facetedly Fun as this!  This is the only reason why anyone in their right mind should collect.  Thank you again ...and I'll shut up, finally.

• Like 3