Roman provincial?

Xeno

This is part of a bulk unattributed lot I’ve been going through and slowly ID’ing. With this one I’m a bit stuck because I can’t identify the emperor but he looks familiar. Anybody have any ideas on who this emperor is and where the coin could be from? I’m guessing it’s Roman provincial because of the reverse but not sure. Coin is 20mm and 5.29g

IMG_8066.jpeg

IMG_8067.jpeg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, CPK said:

Tiberius? Lycia, Termessus ad Oenoanda - 

RPC I, 3358 (ox.ac.uk) (laureate head)

RPC I, 3359 (ox.ac.uk) (bare head)

Not sure which one yours might be, but I'd lean towards 3358 (looks like the barest hint of wreath-ties at the back of the neck)

Nice portrait, despite the wear. 

Thank you so much @CPK you rock. Looked at it under the loupe and it does look like a tie at the back of the neck but could be the corrosion pattern. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Xeno said:

Thank you so much @CPK you rock. Looked at it under the loupe and it does look like a tie at the back of the neck but could be the corrosion pattern. 

Yes, now I'm second guessing myself: the style of the horse looks a little more like the bare-headed variety. Hard to tell at that level of wear!

Edited by CPK
  • Like 2