Jump to content

The Morris Collection


Al Kowsky
 Share

Recommended Posts

Does anyone remember a large collection of Roman imperial & provincial coins that sold at a number of auction houses several years ago, calledĀ The Morris Collection, & sometimesĀ The Phil Peck CollectionĀ šŸ¤”? For the longest time it remained a mystery who MorrisĀ or Phil PeckĀ was šŸ¤Ø. Then it was brought to light that Phil Peck was a life-long coin collector who worked as a curator of The Money Museum at The Chase ManhattanĀ Bank in NYC. He also worked as a librarian in NYC. After being admitted to a senior care facility his coin collection was auctioned off. It was also suggested that Morris was his brother, but I have never seen confirmation of this. Never the less, I ended up winning four coins at auction from the Morris or Phil Peck collection, two of which I ended up selling at auction about a 18 months ago. Pictured below are the two coins I keptĀ šŸ˜Š.

2000133261_NGC4884217-008AWKCollection.jpg.10097480dcec1393bb29a63010071f1d.jpg

This coin was put into an "economy" slab, most likely by Heritage, fortunately it come with a paper 2 X 2 envelope that had the weight & diameter written on it by Morris or PeckĀ šŸ™‚.

1482001123_Emmett3593PhilipII24.37mm12_50gm.jpg.e8cd76034ab923721f9c2098b6fbd4ea.jpg

Egypt-Alexandria, Philip II, AD 247-249 (dated year 6, AD 248/9). Billon Tetradrachm: 24.37 mm, 12.50 gm, 11 h.Ā  Reverse: Homonoia withĀ cornucopia. Emmett 3593.Ā 

This coin was also put into an "economy" slab,Ā NGC 4884217-005, AU*, again most likely by Heritage. The coin looked terrible in the slab so I cracked it outĀ šŸ˜.

Pictured below are the two coins I sold at CNG 453.

1040492032_NGC4884131-010PhilPeck.jpg.6b708ed4dd4e3f6438e4682fea9ca260.jpg

This coin sold for $325.00

1260008998_NGC4884203-001.jpg.aa90ddb0ed3eab58cba96e486c195aad.jpg

This coin sold for the bargain price of $106.00

Do any otherĀ NVMIS FORVMSĀ members have coins from theĀ MorrisĀ orĀ PeckĀ collectionsĀ šŸ¤”?

  • Like 15
  • Heart Eyes 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Nice coins as always Al. Ā Here is my ex Phil Peck.

0B048ABE-DB14-4825-AE87-9796F9091A9D.jpeg.d06a3b9ae17695aed22b3366ee927d7d.jpeg

Roman Empire
Severus AlexanderĀ 
AR Denarius, Antioch mint, struck AD 223
Dia.: 18.38 mm
Wt.: 3.20 g
Obv.: IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev.: LIBERALITAS AVG, Liberalitas standing left, holding counting board and cornucopia
Ref.: RIC IV 281 Antioch
Ex Phil Peck (aka Morris Collection) with collectors envelope, private purchase from Herb Kreindler (Jan. 2005)

Edited by Curtisimo
  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Benefactor
Posted · Benefactor

I don't seem to have any coins from the Phil Peck Collection, but the name is very familiar. Perhaps I've seen it in some of the JAZ auctions that John Anthony used to conduct?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Curtisimo said:

Nice coins as always Al. Ā Here are my ex Phil Peck.

0B048ABE-DB14-4825-AE87-9796F9091A9D.jpeg.d06a3b9ae17695aed22b3366ee927d7d.jpeg

Roman Empire
Severus AlexanderĀ 
AR Denarius, Antioch mint, struck AD 223
Dia.: 18.38 mm
Wt.: 3.20 g
Obv.: IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev.: LIBERALITAS AVG, Liberalitas standing left, holding counting board and cornucopia
Ref.: RIC IV 281 Antioch
Ex Phil Peck (aka Morris Collection) with collectors envelope, private purchase from Herb Kreindler (Jan. 2005)

The portrait on this denarius is finely engraved, which is no surprise coming from the Antioch mintĀ šŸ˜Š. The coin is also graced with attractive "rainbow" toningĀ šŸ˜‰.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Sulla80 said:

Great coins, Al - I especially like theĀ  Philip II Tetradrachm. Ā  Here's one of mine from the Phil Peck/Morris collection - from one of the usurpers in Gallienus' regnal year 8.

image.png.df017339d55dc29b75bf6f414b12e13c.png

image.png.8b47e7061f61dc183f6d61a32eacab98.png

Sulla, Nice score on this very scarce Alexandrian TetĀ šŸ˜Š! I too was very impressed with the Philip II Tet šŸ˜‰. It's rare to find such a clean coin struck from fresh dies on a late Alexandrian Tet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I don't seem to have any coins from the Phil Peck Collection, but the name is very familiar. Perhaps I've seen it in some of the JAZ auctions that John Anthony used to conduct?

Donna, As diverse as your collection is, I'm surprised you haven't added a Morris or Peck coin to your collection yetĀ šŸ¤”.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My only coin from the "Morris Collection" is this Sestertius of Gordian II:

1.jpg.bbe7c13e60690d8d03657fd7e4021172.jpg

IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AFR AVG - laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian II right, seen from behind
VICTORIA AVGG S C - Victory advancing left, wreath upward in right hand, palm in left; S-C across fields.
AE Sestertius, Rome, April 238 aD
30mm / 17.21 gr / 1h
Banti (I Grandi Bronzi Imperiali, Vol. IV-2) Nr. 6 (4 specimens listed, this coin illustrated on p. 238); RIC 7 (plate XII, Nr.4, same obverse die); BMCRE 29 (plate 42, Nr. 29, illustrating specimen from Naples, same obverse die); Cohen 13 (citing specimen in Paris); Sear 8472.
From the collection Richard van de Vyvere-Colens (1837-1912); Charles Dupriez Sale Nr. 112 Bis (M. van de Vyvere), 07.04.1913; lot 1527; Heritage Sale 3071, 07.01.2019 (Morris Collection) lot 32194 (graded NGC VF 4/5 - 4/5)

2.jpg.d4ecead7ee123780b28355dc1cecc09c.jpg

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Julius Germanicus said:

My only coin from the "Morris Collection" is this Sestertius of Gordian II:

1.jpg.bbe7c13e60690d8d03657fd7e4021172.jpg

IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AFR AVG - laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian II right, seen from behind
VICTORIA AVGG S C - Victory advancing left, wreath upward in right hand, palm in left; S-C across fields.
AE Sestertius, Rome, April 238 aD
30mm / 17.21 gr / 1h
Banti (I Grandi Bronzi Imperiali, Vol. IV-2) Nr. 6 (4 specimens listed, this coin illustrated on p. 238); RIC 7 (plate XII, Nr.4, same obverse die); BMCRE 29 (plate 42, Nr. 29, illustrating specimen from Naples, same obverse die); Cohen 13 (citing specimen in Paris); Sear 8472.
From the collection Richard van de Vyvere-Colens (1837-1912); Charles Dupriez Sale Nr. 112 Bis (M. van de Vyvere), 07.04.1913; lot 1527; Heritage Sale 3071, 07.01.2019 (Morris Collection) lot 32194 (graded NGC VF 4/5 - 4/5)

2.jpg.d4ecead7ee123780b28355dc1cecc09c.jpg

J.G., That's a good example of this rare sestertiusĀ šŸ˜Š.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Al Kowsky said:

J.G., That's a good example of this rare sestertiusĀ šŸ˜Š.

Thanks, Al !

As I demonstrated on the other forum a couple of years ago, this type is indeed very rare even for Gordian II with only eight published specimens that were all struck from the same obverse die.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/2/2022 at 8:14 PM, Curtisimo said:

Nice coins as always Al. Ā Here is my ex Phil Peck.

0B048ABE-DB14-4825-AE87-9796F9091A9D.jpeg.d06a3b9ae17695aed22b3366ee927d7d.jpeg

Roman Empire
Severus AlexanderĀ 
AR Denarius, Antioch mint, struck AD 223
Dia.: 18.38 mm
Wt.: 3.20 g
Obv.: IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev.: LIBERALITAS AVG, Liberalitas standing left, holding counting board and cornucopia
Ref.: RIC IV 281 Antioch
Ex Phil Peck (aka Morris Collection) with collectors envelope, private purchase from Herb Kreindler (Jan. 2005)

That Philip II tet has immaculate surfaces for a Alexandrine Provincial coin

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/2/2022 at 6:24 PM, Al Kowsky said:

Does anyone remember a large collection of Roman imperial & provincial coins that sold at a number of auction houses several years ago, calledĀ The Morris Collection, & sometimesĀ The Phil Peck CollectionĀ šŸ¤”? For the longest time it remained a mystery who MorrisĀ or Phil PeckĀ was šŸ¤Ø. Then it was brought to light that Phil Peck was a life-long coin collector who worked as a curator of The Money Museum at The Chase ManhattanĀ Bank in NYC. He also worked as a librarian in NYC. After being admitted to a senior care facility his coin collection was auctioned off. It was also suggested that Morris was his brother, but I have never seen confirmation of this. Never the less, I ended up winning four coins at auction from the Morris or Phil Peck collection, two of which I ended up selling at auction about a 18 months ago. Pictured below are the two coins I keptĀ šŸ˜Š.

2000133261_NGC4884217-008AWKCollection.jpg.10097480dcec1393bb29a63010071f1d.jpg

This coin was put into an "economy" slab, most likely by Heritage, fortunately it come with a paper 2 X 2 envelope that had the weight & diameter written on it by Morris or PeckĀ šŸ™‚.

1482001123_Emmett3593PhilipII24.37mm12_50gm.jpg.e8cd76034ab923721f9c2098b6fbd4ea.jpg

Egypt-Alexandria, Philip II, AD 247-249 (dated year 6, AD 248/9). Billon Tetradrachm: 24.37 mm, 12.50 gm, 11 h.Ā  Reverse: Homonoia withĀ cornucopia. Emmett 3593.Ā 

This coin was also put into an "economy" slab,Ā NGC 4884217-005, AU*, again most likely by Heritage. The coin looked terrible in the slab so I cracked it outĀ šŸ˜.

Pictured below are the two coins I sold at CNG 453.

1040492032_NGC4884131-010PhilPeck.jpg.6b708ed4dd4e3f6438e4682fea9ca260.jpg

This coin sold for $325.00

1260008998_NGC4884203-001.jpg.aa90ddb0ed3eab58cba96e486c195aad.jpg

This coin sold for the bargain price of $106.00

Do any otherĀ NVMIS FORVMSĀ members have coins from theĀ MorrisĀ orĀ PeckĀ collectionsĀ šŸ¤”?

That Philip II tet has immaculate surfaces for a Alexandrine Provincial coin

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

This is my only ex-Morris collection coin:

[IMG]
Faustina II, AD 147-175.
Roman orichalcum sestertius, 23.49 g, 29.0 mm, 11 h.
Rome, AD ca. 174-175.
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
Rev: MATRI MAGNAE S C, Cybele seated right, holding drum in left hand on left knee; to left and right of throne, lions, seated right.
Refs: RIC 1663, BMCRE 932-935; Cohen 169; Sear 5281; MIR 25; ERIC II 205.
Notes: One of the last lifetime issues of Faustina II. Ex-Morris collection.

Edited by Roman Collector
I have OCD
  • Like 6
  • Mind blown 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Roman Collector said:

This is my only ex-Morris collection coin:

[IMG]
Faustina II, AD 147-175.
Roman orichalcum sestertius, 23.49 g, 29.0 mm, 11 h.
Rome, AD ca. 174-175.
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
Rev: MATRI MAGNAE S C, Cybele seated right, holding drum in left hand on left knee; to left and right of throne, lions, seated right.
Refs: RIC 1663, BMCRE 932-935; Cohen 169; Sear 5281; MIR 25; ERIC II 205.
Notes: One of the last lifetime issues of Faustina II. Ex-Morris collection.

R.C., That's a beautiful sestertius with a very unusual reverse compositionĀ šŸ˜Š

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

Ɨ
Ɨ
  • Create New...