Hadrian As - Difficult Reverse For Me

Furryfrog02

This was a pick up from Harlan J. Berk's pick bin at the Baltimore show a few weeks ago.  I figured it would be fairly easy since the ruler (Hadrianus) and the reverse could be made out even though there isn't much legend. I was wrong.

The reverse looks to be Abundantia or Ceres seated left, holding a cornucopia and with a modius filled with corn ears at her feet. 

The problem I am running into is that in exergue, it clearly says COS I--- and I can't find anything with that in the reverse. 

What am I missing? It has to be something easy. I think I've just been looking at this coin for too long.

slazzer-edit-image(1).png.2dd4a331313acbcd96f9797ff81678f4.png

20231130_195629.jpg.019e16c46a366586d524ac0493f577d7.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

I'm not convinced it says COS I. Have you looked for COS with some other number?

I couldn't find anything with a COS in exergue. There are legends with COS (blah blah) but none that I could find with it below like mine.

9 minutes ago, ominus1 said:

dupondius..i've got one about like it  i can make out a radiate crown i do believe...:)..sorry i don't have any clue for the reverse

I wasn't sure if it was a dupondius or As. I thought dupondius were orichalcum and tended to be that yellow color whereas asses were struck in bronze which would then end up with a green patina like mine. 

I forgot to add the weight/diameter in the original post, not that it probably matters much. 11.90g/27-28mm

Interesting! I can't find anything exactly like it either.

Might the modius/corn ears be a globe and rudder? Like on this coin:

6397183.jpg.f38252c42f4d1703d9b3401b276cd3b0.jpg

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=6397183

Is there any way the exergual legend on your coin might be something other than "COS --"? It does look like it from the photo, but just to make sure, it couldn't be something else?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, CPK said:

Interesting! I can't find anything exactly like it either.

Might the modius/corn ears be a globe and rudder? Like on this coin:

6397183.jpg.f38252c42f4d1703d9b3401b276cd3b0.jpg

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=6397183

Is there any way the exergual legend on your coin might be something other than "COS --"? It does look like it from the photo, but just to make sure, it couldn't be something else?

It has to be something else right? I tried making it into FORTVNA but I can only see COS. Perhaps the rudder is just really worn? I'm not sure. Gotta be my eyes/mind playing tricks on me.

16 hours ago, Furryfrog02 said:

Thanks all for confirming my (in)sanity. I was really losing it. 

It's still hard for me to see anything but "COS" in that exergual legend. But I guess it's either a totally new type or else a deceptive-looking legend.

• Like 2

So, not to beat a dead horse....but I've been looking for a match on wildwinds and Acsearch. There is only 1 that I can find which is kind of interesting to me. All of the radiate crowned Hadrian dupondius(es?ai?) have a much longer legend than mine, which looks to be HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS PP.

Here is the one obverse match I could find on acsearch:
HADRIAN, A.D. 117-138. AE Dupondius (27mm, 10.41 g), Rome Mint, A.D. 132-134. Ob...

From N&N London Auction 14
https://www.biddr.com/auctions/nnlondon/browse?a=3325&l=3800839

• Like 5