Jammu & Kashmir/ Post Kidarite Successors)

panzerman

Not a pretty coin....but cheap.

Had a good day today! Won this one + 1 from Tauler & Fau/ 4 from Varesi Auction🤩

From CNG e-auction today.

AV Dinara ND 

Sri Duriahba (late 5th Century AD)

obv: Abstract Kushan style King standing L/ to R "jaya (ti) above monogram of Kidara in Brahmi

rev: Abstract Ardoxsho seated facing/ holding filleted investiture garland & cornucopia/ "vi" in Brahmi L/ sri durla(bha) down R

Unknown Mint

7.69g.  21mm.   12h

Donum Burns 1614

Can anyone tell me the mint name and gold content

Please add your stuff from Jammu & Kashmir

228_1.jpg

• Like 5

Nice coin @panzerman.  Here's another:

3990364.jpg.126fcb15397f09a638b1055291b71099.jpg

INDIA, Post-Kushan (Jammu and Kashmir). Kidarite Successors. Yasovarman. 5th century AD. Pale AV Dinar (23mm, 7.58 g, 12h).   From the William F. Spengler (1923-2005) Collection.

The Canandian numismatist John Deyell wrote a book about these coins, TREASURE, TRADE AND TRADITION: POST-KIDARITE COINS OF THE GANGETIC PLAINS AND THE PUNJAB FOOTHILLS, 590–820 CE.  It may have the answers you seek.  I have a copy but seem to have misplaced it.

The example pictured above was issued by Yasovarman, and is considered the earliest, with the highest gold content.  There are tables in the book of average gold content for each ruler.  The gold content went down over time.

Edited by Ed Snible
  • Like 4

Thank you Ed!

John Deyell is a friend of mine/ he is  member of our coin club. I will send him an e-mail to find out/ 

Your coin is very nice! Still need that King.  Strange how books denote these Dinara as AV coinage/ while EL coinage from Kyzikos with 70%+ gold content are electrum?

John

I attended a great talk by John Deyell on these coins at an ONS meeting during the New York International.  Unfortunately, it was before the ONS was recording talks for YouTube.  He is the world expert on these coins.

Your coin looks to have a little red.  My understanding is that red color on these coins may indicate they were used in a religious event.  Don't clean it.

Dealers like to call coins that are a mix of gold and silver "electrum".  They like to call a mix of gold and copper "base gold".

I must warn anyone else collecting these that I saw -- and even purchased -- a modern fake of this coin at the New York International about six years ago.  Luckily I showed it to some folks at the ONS dinner who explained the problems.  (I was able to return it.)

• Like 1