Two coin puzzles

kirispupis

• Benefactor

Lately, I've been purchasing what I call "coin puzzles" here and there. The idea is to pick up a coin at a very low price, then spend some effort attributing it. The idea is the effort spent in attribution should realize whatever I paid for the coin and if I happen to pick up something rare, all the better.

Recently, I picked up these two coins. I believe I have one attributed, but the other remains a mystery. I'm therefore reaching out for help to see if anyone else has a clue.

Here's the one I believe I know.

53294062990_329ddb2796_o.jpg.94adf20b4701aeb0fa6a21530f91e15b.jpg

Thrace, Maroneia
398-348 BCE
Æ 15 mm, 3,28 g
Obv: Jumping horse
Rev: MAR-WNI-TWN around a vine in a square
SNG Cop 632

And here's the one that's got me stumped. Since my photo sucks because it's too dark, I've included the original seller's photo.

53293598291_5ef3ab8a84_o.jpg.080bbdc8b1cb338378851132ede407e1.jpg

4697054_1697272267.jpg.d278f7db7b1797f1c0570b43ed522884.jpg

The coin is 12mm and 1.14g. 

The reverse looks to be some sort of monogram with a Π, but I haven't been able to find anything there. It appears that there's an E to the left of it.

On the obverse, I'm not sure what animal it is. My best guess is a goat, but it could be a horse, ram, or centaur. It appears to have been a relatively busy image, though most details are now smudged. Based on the designs, I'm guessing it's 1st century BCE Greek, but I really have no idea.

I'd appreciate the help if anyone has any clues/ideas.

• Like 8
  • Clap 1

...a noble, worthwhile (and less expensive) cause  🙂   with all the collectors here (and over there) not too much will go unIDed...they figured out what this was when i thought i maybe i had a Poor Knights of Jesus coin...9_9...(i love it for what it is..^^)

Levon mamluke triblute overstruck tarvo.jpg

• Like 6

• Benefactor

So, my latest thinking is this may be some Roman provincial.

I no longer believe the reverse is a monogram. I think it's some temple or arch. The "notch" at the very top is roughly where a statue would be.

An id would be easier if I could guess what type of animal is on the obverse. Possible options seem to be: horse, ram, goat, centaur, and bull.

Admittedly, I picked this up on a major whim. The previous coin I felt could be identified (and I did) and so I won it at 10 Euros. When this one came up, I noticed no one bidding on it so I figured "why not?" It does appear to be an uncommon type.

• Benefactor
10 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

Could they be the same coin? The top one is unusual in having the horse jump left, but there seems a bit of variety in these. There are even contemporary imitations with horses that look less like horses.

I've thought of this, but I haven't found an example from Maroneia where one part of the square is "missing". Also, the stance of the horse is completely different. On the mystery coin, there's also a lot more apparent lettering and the "sod" on which the horse(?) is standing is different.

FWIW, here's another Maroneia example of mine.

Maroneia.jpg.a446a8f69ec3eae06e6703d0b6655373.jpg

THRACE. Maroneia
Circa 398-346 BCE
Æ 16mm, 3.92 gm, 6h
Obv: Horse prancing right; below, monogram.
Rev: ΜΑΡ - ΩΝΙ - ΤΩΝ. Legend around grape arbor within linear square border; below, monogram.
Evelpidis 962-3; SNG Copenhagen 632; Schönert-Geiss, Maroneia 721-923; BMC__

• Like 2