More fun stuff from Viking-age Scandinavia

JeandAcre

Thanks are due to @DLTcoins for his/your link to this website,  in your latest OP. 

...Which is where I saw this terrific segment.  https://www.medievalists.net/2023/10/runestones-reveal-story-of-viking-queen/

This, humbly reposted, is my later, commoner 'half-bracteate' of Harald Bluetooth, evoking contemporary Viking stylistic conventions in other media, notably (wait for it:) runestones.

image.jpeg.3c534818b3aff43666d88d4c5017895a.jpeg

...This is complemented by a no less terrific BBC video.  If you're here already, just watch the video!

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p0gr4csj/jelling-stone-3d-scans-reveal-power-of-viking-queen

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 15

That's a lovely example @JeandAcre.  The early Viking coinage from Scandinavia is stunning but I am concerned at some recent pieces - please take care.  The following (spectacular and extremely rare) early Danish coin from Hedeby was for sale in Bruun Rasmussen's sale last weekend (Auction 916 lot 59 on 7 Nov 23):

image.png.1fe38e3ffcd55422c9f1e27d77fc67ee.png 

The coin had a starting price of 70,000 DKK (c. US$10k) but did not sell.  Today, Solidus Numismatik list the following coin in their Auction 126 on 21 Nov 23, lot 1191 with a starting bid at EUR1800 : 

image.png.8e55f5a84fe4651fd27f5e9fa7dd062f.png 

The coincidence of these coins appearing for sale in such proximity seems a red flag to me. These coins show signs of false distress and the similarities between the two seem incredible for hammered coins (even if struck from the same dies).  I wonder whether some reputable auction houses may be offering these for sale without seriously challenging their origin; I do not mean to question any of the wonderful and provenanced coins in the Peter Preuss collection that were sold in the same BR auction.

Edited by Grimulfr
  • Like 7
  • Yes 1
  • Gasp 2
  • Mind blown 1

Thanks for the heads up, @Grimulfr.  Mine was from Dom Aukcyjny Numimarket.pl, Auction 9, going back to late 2021.  They were selling lots of cool Salian, Anglo-Saxon and Scandinavian stuff over the course of several auctions.  ...And which few if any outright duplicates. 

Very impressionistically, I have to agree with your points on the presumably even earlier (in prototype?) neo-sceatta ones.  It almost looks as if the false distress you note was, as you say, in effect, in compensation for not really being able even to make hand strikes without a modernesque degree of regularity to them.  But these two could almost make you nostalgic for all the laughably atrocious fakes of the same period that have been coming out of eastern Europe for years on end.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

On 11/14/2023 at 3:11 PM, Grimulfr said:

That's a lovely example @JeandAcre.  The early Viking coinage from Scandinavia is stunning but I am concerned at some recent pieces - please take care.  The following (spectacular and extremely rare) early Danish coin from Hedeby was for sale in Bruun Rasmussen's sale last weekend (Auction 916 lot 59 on 7 Nov 23):

image.png.1fe38e3ffcd55422c9f1e27d77fc67ee.png 

The coin had a starting price of 70,000 DKK (c. US$10k) but did not sell.  Today, Solidus Numismatik list the following coin in their Auction 126 on 21 Nov 23, lot 1191 with a starting bid at EUR1800 : 

image.png.8e55f5a84fe4651fd27f5e9fa7dd062f.png 

The coincidence of these coins appearing for sale in such proximity seems a red flag to me. These coins show signs of false distress and the similarities between the two seem incredible for hammered coins (even if struck from the same dies).  I wonder whether some reputable auction houses may be offering these for sale without seriously challenging their origin; I do not mean to question any of the wonderful and provenanced coins in the Peter Preuss collection that were sold in the same BR auction.

As an extremely rare coin, this is certainly deserving of scrutiny.

I did not bid on the coin in BR and I recommended a friend also not bid, because I was worried about authenticity, even with the metal analysis that was provided.  I continue to remain worried about authenticity.  The second example only heightens that worry.

Given the otherwise strong prices in the BR sale, and the lack of any bids on this one, I doubt I was the only one with concerns.

• Like 3
  • Cool Think 1