A Rare Titus Caesar Pax Sestertius

David Atherton

I've mentioned before how scarce Vespasianic sestertii become as the reign rolls forward. After the massive sestertius issue of 71 the Rome mint struck the denomination less and less. By 73 a 'common' sestertius Pax type can be considered rare ... such is the case with my latest addition.

V608.jpg.004f9c90a3103ea56ef54b49904a10b9.jpg

Titus as Caesar [Vespasian]
Æ Sestertius, 26.55g
Rome mint, 73 AD
Obv: T CAES VESP IMP PON TR POT COS II CENS; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
Rev: PAX AVGVSTI; S C in field; Pax stg. l., with branch and cornucopiae
RIC 608 (R2). BMC 667A. BNC -.
EX Harlan J Berk BBS 225, 30 November 2023, lot 42. Ex Curtis Clay Collection. Ex CNG E139, 10 May 2006, lot 284.

A rare Pax sestertius variety struck for Titus Caesar in 73 when he and Vespasian held the joint censorship. Pax is seen here holding a cornucopiae symbolising the emperor's gift of peace and prosperity to the empire. Missing from the Paris collection.

In hand.

Although this is a rare variety, it was the portrait that initially attracted me. A fine example of early Flavian portraiture.

As always, thank you for looking!

Edited by David Atherton
  • Like 17
  • Heart Eyes 2

1 hour ago, David Atherton said:

I've mentioned before how scarce Vespasianic sestertii become as the reign rolls forward. After the massive sestertius issue of 71 the Rome mint struck the denomination less and less. By 73 a 'common' sestertius Pax type can be considered rare ... such is the case with my latest addition.

Once again a great coin and a great video from you!

I only have a Vespasian with Pax to show - a certain David 😄 wrote the following about it: "Vespasian's seated Pax type is normally seen with a COS VI date, struck in conjunction with the opening of his Temple of Peace in 75 (probably Vespasian's most common denarius type). Here is a fairly rare COS VII seated Pax from 76. Owing to its rarity, the COS VII Pax could not have been struck for any length of time and likely dates to the first few weeks of 76 soon after Vespasian became COS VII on 1 January. Perhaps it was struck as a stop-gap until new reverse designs were produced and approved for the new year?"

VESPARIC852.jpg.fcbd0965281633793fb87c5f7a0da835.jpg

Titus Flavius Vespasianus, as Imperator Caesar Vespasianus Augustus; Reign: Vespasian, Roman Imperial; Mint: Rome; Date: 76 AD; Nominal: Denarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 3.23g; Reference: BMC 160; Reference: Cohen 373; Reference: RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Vespasian 852; Provenance: Künker Numismatik Osnabrück, Germany; Obverse: Head of Vespasian, laureate, right; Inscription: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG; Translation: Imperator Caesar Vespasianus Augustus; Reverse: Pax, draped, seated left on throne, holding out branch in extended right hand and resting left in her lap; Inscription: PON MAX TR P COS VII; Translation: Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate, Consul Septimum; Translation: High priest, holder of tribunician power, consul for the seventh time.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Once again a great coin and a great video from you!

I only have a Vespasian with Pax to show - a certain David 😄 wrote the following about it: "Vespasian's seated Pax type is normally seen with a COS VI date, struck in conjunction with the opening of his Temple of Peace in 75 (probably Vespasian's most common denarius type). Here is a fairly rare COS VII seated Pax from 76. Owing to its rarity, the COS VII Pax could not have been struck for any length of time and likely dates to the first few weeks of 76 soon after Vespasian became COS VII on 1 January. Perhaps it was struck as a stop-gap until new reverse designs were produced and approved for the new year?"

VESPARIC852.jpg.fcbd0965281633793fb87c5f7a0da835.jpg

Titus Flavius Vespasianus, as Imperator Caesar Vespasianus Augustus; Reign: Vespasian, Roman Imperial; Mint: Rome; Date: 76 AD; Nominal: Denarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 3.23g; Reference: BMC 160; Reference: Cohen 373; Reference: RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Vespasian 852; Provenance: Künker Numismatik Osnabrück, Germany; Obverse: Head of Vespasian, laureate, right; Inscription: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG; Translation: Imperator Caesar Vespasianus Augustus; Reverse: Pax, draped, seated left on throne, holding out branch in extended right hand and resting left in her lap; Inscription: PON MAX TR P COS VII; Translation: Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate, Consul Septimum; Translation: High priest, holder of tribunician power, consul for the seventh time.

Bravo! You have to have a keen eye to spot this rarity!