Gallienus - Restitutor Generis Humani

Tejas

I bought the Gallienus Antoninian below in a recent auction. The type had been on my wish list for a long time and I never thought I would get one for just 17 Pounds (about 20 dollars), because I think the reverse is quite scarce and certainly interesting and unusual.

Obv: IMP C P LIC GALLIENVS AVG

Rev: RESTITVT GENER HVMANI

RESTITVTOR(i) GENER(is) HVMANI translates as: to the  restorer of Humankind

Mint: Viminacium (or more likely Antioch or Samosata)

The figure on the reverse is sometimes identifed as Sol, but I think it is more likely to depict the emperor. But then again, the figure's dress is quite unusual for both Sol and a depiction of the emperor.  I think the whole pose of this figure is quite unusual in Roman numismatics. It seems that the die engraver tried to capture movement, with the figure swinging around and raising his arm in this blessing gesture.

In any case, this reverse was an innovation in the 250s. It was used on coins for Valerian I and Gallienus, but seized to be used as soon as Gallienus became sole emperor. Indeed, the formulation is quite unsual in Roman history. It reminds me of Galba's coins with the legend SALVS GENERIS HVMANI. The only other known instance of this epithet is apparently on a statue base of Constantine I, which dates to AD 314 and on which he is called RESTITVTOR  HVMANI GENERIS. 

I think the choice of this legend and the depiction of the emperor (or whoever the figure represents) must have had some significance. Perhaps Valerian and Gallienus wanted to indicate that the times of unrest and insecurity were over and that they wanted to restore the glory of earlier times.

1.PNG

I also wonder, what the figure on the reverse is holding in its hand. I guess the assumption should be that it is an orb that represents the world. On my coin above this object looks more like an egg, though.  

I found this coin on acsearch (sold for EUR 280!)

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=9567654

Here the object looks like a litte hut or house.

Heinrich.PNG

... and on this coin (sold for USD 489!) - also from acsearch - the object in the hand of the figure looks again quite different, but not like an orb.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=354631

Heinrich.PNG

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 9
  • Yes 1
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

There is a similar representation of the reverse figure on the Eastern SOLI INVICTO for Maximinus, Constantine and Licinius ca. 312, also from Antioch. It is probably meant to represent a local version of Sol Invictus dressed in Eastern garb.

Edited by seth77
  • Like 2

Great score for $20 ☺️! I agree with seth77, the reverse figure is most likely Sol. If the figure was the emperor he would most likely be dressed in military clothing like the coin of Severus in my collection. The reverse depicts Severus sacrificing over an altar, & the inscription RESTITVTOR VRBIS translates "Restorer of the city (Rome)".

1883246-009AKCollection.jpg.e229654fbf2e55ce98064634be078af6.jpg

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

10 hours ago, seth77 said:

There is a similar representation of the reverse figure on the Eastern SOLI INVICTO for Maximinus, Constantine and Licinius ca. 312, also from Antioch. It is probably meant to represent a local version of Sol Invictus dressed in Eastern garb.

Thanks all for your posts. To me at least two questions have been answered:

1. The figure is Sol (in Eastern garb) rather than the emperor. The coin seth77 refered to below convinced me of that. (If one wanted to argue that it is the emperor then we should assume that Gallienus wore this eastern priestly dress, similar to Elagabalus.)

2. The mint is Antioch rather than Viminacium. The general style and the representation of Sol convinced me of that.

The coin below is not mine, but from acsearch:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5860212

Heinrich.PNG

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 3