Temple of Jupiter Redux

David Atherton

Last week I shared a rare as struck for Vespasian in 71 AD when he had begun rebuilding the Temple of Jupiter.

https://www.numisforums.com/topic/5046-rebuilding-the-temple-of-jupiter/#comment-64410

This week I would like to share another as depicting the temple, this one struck after its completion.

V1239d.jpg.32180962880b78dd121ca19e7e1176d9.jpg

Vespasian
Æ As, 9.80g
Lyon mint, 77-78 AD
Obv: IMP CAES VESPASIAN AVG COS VIII P P; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.; globe at point of bust
Rev: S C in field; Temple of Capitoline Jupiter with six columns
RIC 1239 (C). BMC 850. BNC 852.

Ex Harlan J Berk BBS 225, 30 November 2023, lot 454.

In December 69 AD the Temple of Capitoline Jupiter was set ablaze and destroyed during factional warfare in the city of Rome between Vitellian and Flavian forces. Upon Vespasian's victorious arrival in October 70, one of his first acts was to rebuild the temple, supposedly carrying the first basket of rubble from the site himself. He spared no expense on the new temple, lavishly rebuilding it along the same foundational lines and increasing its height. This as struck half a decade later perhaps commemorates the completion of the structure. Although rated as 'common' in RIC, this variety is very rare in trade.

In hand.

I've longed to have a bronze coin with a temple of Jupiter reverse ... what a shock it was to acquire two(!) in one week.

As always, thank you for looking!

Edited by David Atherton
  • Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 5