Help to ID this coin, please?

Topcat7

I have this small bronze coin that appears to have the head of a (peasant) man wearing a hat, on one side and a (prancing) horse left with a 'P' behind the forelegs on the other. Of course I may well be wide of the mark in my assessment, as my eyes "aint what they used to be". I am guessing the 'Greek' part, too.

Any assistance is appreciated

The measurements are AE16.6mm.,  2.43gm.

Magical Snap - 2022.06.29 12.25 - 055a.jpg

Magical_Snap_-_2022.06.29_12.20_-_053-removebg-preview.jpg

Magical_Snap_-_2022.06.29_12.21_-_054-removebg-preview.jpg

Edited by Topcat7
  • Like 2

Did you mean 16.6 mm, TC? The obverse is helmeted - and the helmet may be crested. The style is crude. It may be a contemporary imitation of a Pella, Macedon issue with Athena/cow grazing. Some of those counterfeits had cows facing left. (The official prototypes had right-facing cows.)

Another possibility - perhaps worth looking at given the wear (and how unclear the reverse is, as a result) - might be Phliasia issues of Phlious, with Athena/butting bull combo.

Edited by Kamnaskires
  • Like 3

I too am getting an Athena/Cow(or Horse) grazing vibe as well.  I think that @Kamnaskiresis likely spot on here. 

The one other coin type that the reverse reminds me a little of are the ones that were minted in Pontos, Amisos (under Mithradates VI); portraying Perseus on the obverse, and Pegasos grazing on the reverse.  However, I'm not too confident it's a match, as the helmet in the OP looks more Corinthian in style than that of a Phrygian cap.  These also vary in size from around 22-25mm, so.....

I have an example of the type, but it's not yet photographed. 

Here is another example recently offered by Savoca:

image00043.jpg

Edited by Herodotus
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Kamnaskires said:

Did you mean 16.6 mm, TC? The obverse is helmeted - and the helmet may be crested. The style is crude. It may be a contemporary imitation of a Pella, Macedon issue with Athena/cow grazing. Some of those counterfeits had cows facing left. (The official prototypes had right-facing cows.)

Another possibility - perhaps worth looking at given the wear (and how unclear the reverse is, as a result) - might be Phliasia issues of Phlious, with Athena/butting bull combo.

Yes, I did. Sorry. I have corrected the listing.

Thank you Bob. It gives me somewhere's else to look.

Appreciate you coming in.

19 hours ago, Herodotus said:

I too am getting an Athena/Cow(or Horse) grazing vibe as well.  I think that @Kamnaskiresis likely spot on here. 

The one other coin type that the reverse reminds me a little of are the ones that were minted in Pontos, Amisos (under Mithradates VI); portraying Perseus on the obverse, and Pegasos grazing on the reverse.  However, I'm not too confident it's a match, as the helmet in the OP looks more Corinthian in style than that of a Phrygian cap.  These also vary in size from around 22-25mm, so.....

I have an example of the type, but it's not yet photographed. 

Here is another example recently offered by Savoca:

image00043.jpg

@Herodotus  Thank you, too. Another lead to follow.