Best way to refuse an international package?

kirispupis

• Benefactor

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately, after further research and consultation, a coin I've purchased recently on VCoins has been determined to be a fake. The seller has agreed to issue a refund upon receiving the coin back, but it was shipped via Deutsche Post today.

Ideally, I'd like to avoid the hassle of opening the package and shipping it back. I'd prefer to just refuse it. As I understand from reading online, I can go to my local post office with the tracking number before it's delivered and refuse it. IMHO it would be even better to refuse it before it arrives at customs. One issue is I'm not quite sure how refused international packages work. Will it go back to the seller in Germany, or will it wind up in US postage limbo?

Does anyone know if there's a way to send a mail to Deutsche Post to just return the package to the sender before it leaves Germany? I can read and write (mit Fehler) German, but I couldn't find any info on their site.

I wouldn't open the box. I would just put the box in a bigger box, with padding around the smaller box to ensure that the smaller box doesn't flop around within the bigger box, and ship it back. Of course, if you could somehow refuse the package, in a way that would ensure that the package returns to the seller in a reliable, tracked manner, then that may be even better.

Edited by sand

2 minutes ago, sand said:

I wouldn't open the box. I would just put the box in a bigger box, with padding around the smaller box to ensure that the smaller box doesn't flop around within the bigger box, and ship it back. Of course, if you could somehow refuse the package, in a way that would ensure that the package returns to the seller in a reliable, tracked manner, then that may be even better.

And take photos of the smaller box, and its shipping label. And photos of you, putting the smaller box into the bigger box.

• Yes 1