SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS and JULIA DOMNA Denarius Coins

thenickelguy

Having recently acquired my Geta denarius, I had to find Mom and Dad.

SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS 145–211 AD
Roman emperor from 193 to 211 AD

12RSeptimiusSeverus193-211ADSilverDenariuswithVictory.jpg.84d301b03f9fe660545ad322d8f0a635.jpg

Septimius Severus Denarius. 197-198 AD. L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP X, laureate head right /
VICT AVGG COS II P P, Victory walking left holding wreath and palm. RIC 120c, RSC 694.

The assassination of Commodus on New Years Eve 192 AD brought about quite the struggle for 5 men to become the Roman Emperor.
It began "The year of Five Emperors"
Pertinax, Didius Julianus, Pescennius Niger, Clodius Albinus, and Septimius Severus

First to lose by being murdered after only three months was Pertinax who was assasinated by the Praetorian Guard when he refused to pay their bonus and took away privileges given to them by Commodus.
Second was Didius Julianus, a wealthy senator who bid for the throne by promising to better pay the soldiers but did not. His reign lasted 66 days. He was killed by a soldier.
This left three, Septimius Severus allied with Clodius Albinus and made a deal that they would be co-rulers and left him to take care of business in the west.
Septimius Severus raced with his army into Italy and when he was near Rome he was declared Emperor by the Senate.
Pescennius Niger and Septimius Severus men fought a civil war and Pescennius Niger lost. He was beheaded and Septimius Severus brutally ordered many of his supporters to be killed.
Septimius Severus also defeated his ex-partner Clodius Albinus in Western Europe in Gaul. Clodius Albinus either committed suicide after being defeated in a huge battle or was executed on orders by Septimius Severus after capture.

in his 40's Septimius Severus met Julia Domna whom he had heard that she believed she would one day marry a king. They traveled together while Septimius Severus and his men fought battles.

SeptimiusSeverus193-211ADSilverDenariuswithVictoryArt.jpg.48510556fe9b479007af870b905fb84d.jpg

Listing Desc:
Septimius Severus, 193 - 211 AD, Silver Denarius with Victory
Septimius Severus, 193 - 211 AD
Silver Denarius, Rome Mint, 18mm, 3.48 grams
Obverse: L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP X, Laureate head of Septimius right.
Reverse: VICT AVGG COS II P P, Victory advancing left holding wreath and palm.
RIC 120

13RJuliaDomna193-211ADSilverDenariusFortuna.jpg.ff63247c229dcfdf6301f2ac828a3ed9.jpg

Julia Domna 160-217 AD

Her horoscope predicted she would marry a king. Syrian-born Roman empress married Roman emperor Septimius Severus. She traveled with him on campaigns and was called “Mother of the Camps” and she was well educated. She herself came from a family of kings.

She was also the mother of the emperors Geta and Caracalla. Julia was in Eboracum (York) with Severus when the emperor died of an illness in 211 AD, and according to his will, Caracalla and Geta, took over as joint emperors. Julia favored Geta. The shared rule did not last. Caracalla and Geta plotted against the other and both feared for their safety. They lived at different ends of the city. 
Julia attempted to mediate between her sons, and when Caracalla expressed a desire for reconciliation with Geta, Julia granted his request for a meeting with his brother in Julia's private apartments.
There without the protection of guards in the meeting, Caracalla stabbed Geta and he died in his mothers arms. She herself was stabbed in the hand during the attack. She showed no grief for fear of Caracalla having her killed as well.
Still, Caracalla entrusted Julia with much of the empire's administration while he oversaw a brutal crackdown against Geta's followers and anyone he deemed a threat. Julia carried out these duties largely from Antioch, a major Syrian city near her hometown of Emesa.
While away for 6 years, Caracalla's own men murdered him.
It is believed that Julia have had breast cancer but dealing with that and the death of Caracalla, she chose to commit suicide by starving herself to death at age 57.
She was one of the most powerful and active empresses in Roman history. 

JuliaDomna193-211ADSilverDenariusFortunaArt.jpg.c97c487b4e9be7f367c341615dffd2eb.jpg

Julia Domna, AR denarius. IVLIA AVGVSTA, draped bust right / FORTVNAE FELICI, Fortuna seated left, holding cornucopiae and rudder on globe, child standing before her. RIC 554; Sear 6584 var.

Listing desc.

Julia Domna 193 - 211 AD
Silver Denarius Rome Mint 19mm 2.97 grams
Obverse: IVLIA AVGVSTA Draped bust of Julia right.
Reverse: FORTVNAE FELICI Fortuna seated left holding cornucopia and rudder child standing on left reaching up towards her.
RIC 554

My nice Geta and not so nice Caracalla coins

14RGETADenarius.jpg.6a94ce4313a06bd17b73c22bd2fda221.jpg

15RCARACALLA198-217AD.JPG.b2e37e9df61830efce8a49ef6c345657.JPG

• Like 13
  • Clap 2

I see Finn just "liked" with a "clap"

I acquired my first small batches of ancient coins from him. Still very happy to have those coins in my collection.

It's all your fault LOL, seriously though, I have enjoyed the introduction to this area of collecting and the history I have learned has been awesome.

You all have been awesome! Thank you!

Remember this one Finn235 ?

Gallienus 253-268 AD Rome Antoninianus Mars God of War

20RGallienus253-268ADRomeAntoninianusMarsGodofWar.jpg.02596daada56019fee58cb60effd0ce9.jpg

Edited by thenickelguy
  • Like 5
  • Cookie 1

On 9/16/2023 at 10:16 PM, thenickelguy said:

I see Finn just "liked" with a "clap"

I acquired my first small batches of ancient coins from him. Still very happy to have those coins in my collection.

It's all your fault LOL, seriously though, I have enjoyed the introduction to this area of collecting and the history I have learned has been awesome.

You all have been awesome! Thank you!

Remember this one Finn235 ?

Gallienus 253-268 AD Rome Antoninianus Mars God of War

20RGallienus253-268ADRomeAntoninianusMarsGodofWar.jpg.02596daada56019fee58cb60effd0ce9.jpg

I do indeed remember it - it feels like a lifetime ago but I'm glad to see your collection is still growing and growing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1