The catastrophic flood in Derna, Libya - part of ancient Cyrenaica

robinjojo

• Benefactor

In addition to the tragic loss of life, made worse by the failure of a dam that sent a 25 foot wall of water through the center of the city, Derna has a long history as part of the eastern part of Libya known in ancient times as Cyrenaica or Kyrenaika.  The ancient Greek city of Cyrene or Kyrene (now Sahhhat, Libya) to the west of Derna, was the source of the now extinct silphion plant, whose image adorns the reverse of the didrachms issued by this city.

I don't have any information on the impact on Sahhhat by storm Daniel (the same system that struck Greece last week).  

Kyrenaica, Kyrene, temp Magas, didrachm, 294-275 BC.

BMC 253 corr. (head right)

7.57 grams

D-CameraKyrenaicaKyrenetempMagasdidrachm294-275BCBMC253corr.(headright)7.57grams9-14-23.jpg.9552a43954a0de765edce3939924bf1d.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 9

• Benefactor

What's happening there and in Morocco is horrible. FWIW, here's my Kyrene

Magas.jpg.0921ef5663bf6e6c097e20ab90fcce69.jpg

Kyrene, Magas
Ptolemaic governor, c. 300-282/75 BC
AR Didrachm 20mm, 7.30g, 12h
Head of Karneios r. R/ Silphion plant; ZE monogram to upper l., crab to upper r., KY-PA across lower field.
BMC 256; cf. SNG Copenhagen 1243

The earthquake in Marrakech particularly affected me because we enjoyed visiting the city several years ago. Everyone was friendly and I do hope they are all okay.

Here are a few photos from the trip. Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to visit Libya yet.

Morocco3.jpg.fa1957a53ed4b285c661ef15f1e06254.jpg

Morocco2.jpg.46b962d69df998477f2da9ed70910cc7.jpg

Morocco1.jpg.93d20cceecd439bc8c65348f52ffa452.jpg

• Like 5

• Benefactor

Nice coin, especially the nice patina.  The photos, as usual, are wonderful!

Years ago, when I was collecting agates, some very nice specimens were acquired from Morocco, in an area very close to the epicenter of the earthquake that occurred last week. 

The people in that mountainous and remote area  had so little to begin with, and now many have absolutely nothing, including the loss of family members, friends and entire towns and communities.

Morocco, Atlas Mountains, Asni, nodular agate.

166.7 grams

MoroccoAtlasMountainsAsninodularagate166.7grams9-14-23.jpg.8f46f24d85f1fba001f8cff942b92d6b.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor
7 minutes ago, robinjojo said:

Years ago, when I was collecting agates, some very nice specimens were acquired from Morocco, in an area very close to the epicenter of the earthquake that occurred last week. 

The people in that mountainous and remote area  had so little to begin with, and now many have absolutely nothing, including the loss of family members, friends and entire towns and communities.

You probably bought them in a shop that looked like this. 🙂 

Morocco5.jpg.2a23aed72958cc102e2cbf02f8cca3e5.jpg

I believe they don't let you leave the country until you buy at least one rock and one pair of slippers. We did our part. I still have a geode I bought there next to my while I type this.

Here's a town that was close to the epicenter. I fear what it looks like now.

Morocco4.jpg.45276b6f7613a0401d3faa990a0eef1e.jpg

• Like 2