Gordian III Limes or Fourree?

Victrix

That is an interesting coin. My vote would be a limes antoninianus but this is the first I see. All the limes coins I saw were denarii. 

Fourree antoninianii are not that rare. Here is one in my collection (difficult to photograph)

image.png.35d1592f03ff75014eb92e316208a6ad.pngimage.png.ef545c30f7561f9e8bbf61a76e94f2e3.png

20,6 mm, 4,2 g.
Gordian 239-244 AD. Fourree antoninianus. Rome.
IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, bust of Gordian III, radiate, draped, cuirassed, right / P M TR P V COS II P P, Apollo, nude to waist, seated left, holding branch in extended right hand and resting left elbow on lyre.
Cf RIC IV Gordian III 89.

Here are examples of limes antoninianii

RIC_0090_Limes.jpg

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/moonmoth/coins/gordian_iii_005.html

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 5

It could also be a cast forgery. Like this one:

Elagabalus Contemporary Cast Imitation Denarius, 218-220
image.png.0ae8cfcd5a8794dfcb02ca8622a20a4e.png
Imitating Rome. Base metal, 18mm, 1.90g. Laureate, horned, draped bust right; IMP ANTONINVS PIVS AVG. Elagabalus, in Syrian priestly robes, standing left, sacrificing out of patera in right hand over tripod, holding club in left hand; behind tripod, bull lying down; star in field to left, erased star in field to right?; INVICTVS SACERDOS AVG (RIC IV, 88b). Found in the UK.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

That is an interesting coin. My vote would be a limes antoninianus but this is the first I see. All the limes coins I saw were denarii. 

Fourree antoninianii are not that rare. Here is one in my collection (difficult to photograph)

image.png.35d1592f03ff75014eb92e316208a6ad.pngimage.png.ef545c30f7561f9e8bbf61a76e94f2e3.png

20,6 mm, 4,2 g.
Gordian 239-244 AD. Fourree antoninianus. Rome.
IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, bust of Gordian III, radiate, draped, cuirassed, right / P M TR P V COS II P P, Apollo, nude to waist, seated left, holding branch in extended right hand and resting left elbow on lyre.
Cf RIC IV Gordian III 89.

Here are examples of limes antoninianii

RIC_0090_Limes.jpg

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/moonmoth/coins/gordian_iii_005.html

That would be my best guess too. It seems to be of too 'high' quality to just be a fourrée core. It also seems to have circulated a good amount by the wear so that would exclude it as a plated forgery.

• Like 1