Maximinus Thrax - Sestertius

Tejas

I just bought this sestertius, partly out of frustration. I was watching a very nice Maximinus Sestertius in an auction with a reserve price of EUR 200, which is currently bit up to a rediculous EUR 1700 (and rising I suppose). So I set myself the task of finding a nice sestertius at a fraction of that price and this is what I came up with on a fixed price site.

Maximinus I (235-238). Sestertius (31mm, 24.25g, 1h). Rome, AD 236. Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust r. R/ Mars standing l., placing r. foot on helmet, holding branch and spear. RIC IV 55.  

While the quality of the coin is not quite at par with the one that is currently running at EUR 1700, I think this one has a better portrait and a more interesting (and perhaps scarcer) reverse (the other one is a PAX AVGVSTI). But as I said, the big difference is the price. Mine was just a fraction of the 1700.

1.PNG

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 16
  • Cookie 1
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Tejas changed the title to Maximinus Thrax - Sestertius
20 hours ago, Tejas said:

I just bought this sestertius, partly out of frustration. I was watching a very nice Maximinus Sestertius in an auction with a reserve price of EUR 200, which is currently bit up to a rediculous EUR 1700 (and rising I suppose). So I set myself the task of finding a nice sestertius at a fraction of that price and this is what I came up with on a fixed price site.

Maximinus I (235-238). Sestertius (31mm, 24.25g, 1h). Rome, AD 236. Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust r. R/ Mars standing l., placing r. foot on helmet, holding branch and spear. RIC IV 55.  

While the quality of the coin is not quite at par with the one that is currently running at EUR 1700, I think this one has a better portrait and a more interesting (and perhaps scarcer) reverse (the other one is a PAX AVGVSTI). But as I said, the big difference is the price. Mine was just a fraction of the 1700.

1.PNG

Help me out here. Why is the other coin that expensive? I think it has eye appeal, but Im a bit sceptical about the surfaces. Looks a bit smoothed. Also there is a spot that looks like inactive corrosion on the obverse, at 6 clock. Both obverse and reverse are slightly double struck. Nevertheless, overall a nice coin, but imho not worth 1700 or up. 

I really like your coin, the portrait is very subtle and interesting, and different from many of his other portraits with the big chin. I think you made a very good frustrated purchase! 

• Like 1

I think the PAX AVGVSTI-sestertius has been cleaned and repatinated, which is not unusual. The surfaces of my sestertius look rather untouched to me, or any cleaning that was done seems to have been rather light and superficial.

Edited by Tejas