Constantinopolis medallion protocontorniate

Heliodromus

This interesting medallion is currently being offered on eBay for $2200.

image.png.c265ff7acce6ae4940e5a944bd27200c.png

It's RIC VII Rome 301, but with a hammered up edge making it a protocontorniate (gaming piece?), and significantly reducing the size.

The above coin is listed as 28mm 20.25g and appears to be a double die match to this one sold in The NY Sale XI (#357) which is 36mm 27.25g.

image.png.a35f0128a0f3a14ed5422c18b43a382c.png

I'm not sure where RIC gets the 327-333 AD date range for this type from. I suspect it may be a bit later 337-340 since there is a "poor man's" version of it from that date in form of a Constantinopolis commemorative, RIC VIII Rome 42, that has same VICTORIA AVG legend and Victory with palm and wreath (vs usual Constantinopolis sceptre and shield). I have the same type without the VICTORIA AVG legend (RIC VIII Rome 41), below.

image.png.40b5f4f63200216e55c2993d6e48970b.png

Edited by Heliodromus
  • Like 14
  • Cool Think 2

• Heliodromus changed the title to Constantinopolis medallion protocontorniate
9 hours ago, Celator said:

Strangley 3 entries for this one. 20, 31, & 42

Yes - three different issues with leaf, star and palm branch respectively in exergue, and supposedly three different varieties of Constantinopolis in each issue: normal victory with shield + sceptre, victory with wreath + palm, victory with wreath + palm and VICTORIA AVG legend. I'm not convinced the three types exist in all three issues, although they do at least for the palm in exergue one.

21 hours ago, Limes said:

I should start selling on eBay 🤑

..haha!...well, its a good place to 'offer' your coin at a inflated price and still be able to keep it! ^^...i've got cons in my watch list as such that have been there over 20 years...6_6...but i hear ya...:)