What a great book

Coinmaster

That series has always appealed to me, though I haven't delved into it yet. I possibly have a bigger purchasing problem with books than I have with coins. My reading list seems to have an infinite scroll at the bottom. It never ends and never seems to be complete. My wife tells me that I could have worse problems.

• Like 3
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor
17 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Sounds interesting, but needs some elucidation.  How is it great?  What's the book like?  Is it a Sear-like reference book?

They're not reference books. They're closer to history books, but are told through coins. I've only read the Hellenistic and Athenian ones. The Hellenistic was extremely good and used coins to show how the Diadochi became ever-bolder, then their kingdoms waned and cities started minting larger denominations. The Athenian book was interesting, but a bit dry.

• Like 5

• Benefactor
11 hours ago, Coinmaster said:

What a great book this is, just received it this morning. Happy with it!

IMG_20230826_163812.jpg.624e5684d1157c2eeb59b6ea16166194.jpg

Agreed! I've cited the book here and on Coin Talk numerous times. Professor Yarrow also has a very interesting blog on Roman Republican coins.

• Like 3

On 8/26/2023 at 4:37 PM, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Sounds interesting, but needs some elucidation.  How is it great?  What's the book like?  Is it a Sear-like reference book?

This is a great book.  It is well illustrated with coins, maps, and diagrams.  It is not a price guide like Sear nor will you find an exhaustive list of types, but it relates coins to history quite well.  It addresses the symbology and why it was important at the time and discusses mints, hoards and  why the coins changed from one age  of the republic to the next.   A synopsis of topics would be very long here, so I won't try it, only to say that I enjoyed the read and learned a lot.

• Like 2
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor

This Google Books link should take you to the cover, Table of Contents, table of Figures, list (by Crawford numbers) of coins illustrated, list of coins discussed but not illustrated, etc.:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Roman_Republic_to_49_BCE/5PMgEAAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1

That ought to give a good idea of the scope of the book.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 12:35 PM, kirispupis said:

I've read their books on Hellenistic and Athenian coinage and they were very good. I've intentionally avoided the Roman part of the series in order to not be tempted at yet more coins. 🙂 

What was the title of these two books?