Jump to content

A Roman Nail, Celtic Coin, and a Salute to General Agricola


LONGINUS

Recommended Posts

  • Benefactor

 

August 23 is the anniversary of the death of Gnaeus Julius Agricola in 93 AD.

I’ve chosen today to post my first Celtic coin from Britain and a poster

featuring the general and one of his forts.

 

image.jpeg.4d18dd7fcf65891bb5855c02a1fa67b3.jpeg

image.jpeg.fcfe6b31787bf1af6683d5723f4bf417.jpeg

image.jpeg.898cf06d728659ec44b1e988a696da46.jpeg

image.jpeg.66043baaa9b12200fffb595dbe1b8081.jpeg

image.jpeg.28f6b9ef10c6b255f792b3502b528e80.jpeg

 

I’d love to see your Celtic coins from Britain and your Roman coins of the period.

 

 

 

Edited by LONGINUS
  • Like 10
  • Yes 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice coin and nice writeup.  Durotrigan coins are my favourite.

37 minutes ago, LONGINUS said:

I’d love to see your Celtic coins from Britain and your Roman coins of the period.

Here are some of my Celtic coins (both sides are shown, so it's only half as many as it looks):

coincollage-forfb.jpg.cfbd58577138bdb9a194772b05eebea8.jpg

Edited by DCCR
  • Like 5
  • Gasp 1
  • Heart Eyes 3
  • Shock 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Benefactor
8 minutes ago, DCCR said:

Nice coin and nice writeup.  Durotrigan coins are my favourite.

Here are some of mine (both sides are shown, so it's only half as many as it looks):

coincollage-forfb.jpg.cfbd58577138bdb9a194772b05eebea8.jpg

That’s a great collection and a beautiful coin montage, @DCCR! Thanks for posting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super presentation as always! Agricola isn't mentioned enough in these forums.

I can contribute a Domitian denarius struck in 83, the year of the battle of Mons Graupius, Agricola's crowning achievement. A recent acquisition.

 

 

D162.jpg.25af1c34d32b4a1aec50c74fc8eea6a1.jpg

Domitian
AR Denarius, 3.48g
Rome mint, 83 AD
Obv: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG P M; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r.
Rev: TR POT II COS VIIII DES X P P; Minerva adv r., with spear and shield (M1)
RIC 162 (R). BMC spec. acquired 1988. RSC -. BNC -.
Ex eBay, March 2023. Formerly in NGC holder #6330610-037, grade VF.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LONGINUS said:

 

August 23 is the anniversary of the death of Gnaeus Julius Agricola in 93 AD.

I’ve chosen today to post my first Celtic coin from Britain and a poster

featuring the general and one of his forts.

 

image.jpeg.4d18dd7fcf65891bb5855c02a1fa67b3.jpeg

image.jpeg.fcfe6b31787bf1af6683d5723f4bf417.jpeg

image.jpeg.898cf06d728659ec44b1e988a696da46.jpeg

image.jpeg.66043baaa9b12200fffb595dbe1b8081.jpeg

image.jpeg.28f6b9ef10c6b255f792b3502b528e80.jpeg

 

I’d love to see your Celtic coins from Britain and your Roman coins of the period.

 

 

 

Great presentation & acquisitions ☺️!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, DCCR said:

Nice coin and nice writeup.  Durotrigan coins are my favourite.

Here are some of my Celtic coins (both sides are shown, so it's only half as many as it looks):

coincollage-forfb.jpg.cfbd58577138bdb9a194772b05eebea8.jpg

Yikes 😮! I'm in a state of shock viewing this photo, what an incredible collection. You must have been working on this a long time 🤔.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...