Artemis Bronze 246-225 BC

thenickelguy

I think this is my first official post?

I know nothing or next to nothing when it comes to ancient coins.

Half the fun of my collecting has been figuring out what I have. I had to have an Artemis coin and this is one of my favorites in my small 25 ancient coin collection. (so far)

I became fascinated with the Greek goddess Artemis when I found a beautiful and scarce sterling medal showing Augustus Saint-Gaudens "Diana" sculpture.

Diana was equated with the Greek goddess Artemis in Roman mythology.

1975FranklinMintAmerArtTreas1892DianaStGaudensGallery.jpg.79d0efa15d51d836d3343529e7a611dd.jpg

I believe this obverse shows the bust of Artemis facing right with quiver and arrows. Apollo is standing on the reverse with a bow touching the ground in left hand.

ArtemisMaybePergeOBV.jpg.7e33f00a76abfd694e81c19e3ec05a97.jpg

ArtemisMaybePergeREV.jpg.16a219d8ed3ccee2704d8597853ee2bc.jpg

Edited by thenickelguy
  • Like 6

Artemis and  Apollo

ArtemisMaybePergeArt.jpg.129faea95be791fe6583d44511439bc1.jpg

These two were twin brother and sister. The father was Zeus and mother, Leto.

Artemis is the twin sister of Apollo. In most accounts, the twins are the products of an extramarital liaison.
In myth and literature, Artemis is presented as a hunting goddess of the woods, surrounded by her followers who is not to be crossed.

Apollo is the Olympian god of the sun and light, music and poetry, healing and plagues, prophecy and knowledge, order and beauty, archery and agriculture. He is harmony, reason and moderation personified, a perfect blend of physical superiority and moral virtue.

Apollo is the only major god who appears with the same name in both Greek and Roman mythology. Artemis would be known as Diana in Roman mythology.

Both Artemis and Apollo had used golden bows and were expert archers.

I don't hunt very much anymore, I am not an archer, that's for sure but I can launch an arrow if necessary.

Edited by thenickelguy
adding info.
  • Like 7

Aeolis, Kyme, c. 165-90 BC. Æ (16mm, 3.84g, 12h). Zoilos, magistrate.
Obverse...Draped bust of Artemis right, hair in sphendone, quiver and bow over shoulder.
Reverse...Single-handled oenoechoe (Kyme's cup) with KY above (Kyme), flanked either side by laurel branches.
Magistrates name left to right across central field Z-Ω / I-Λ / O-Σ..Zoilos.
SNG München 507-9; SNG Copenhagen 108; SNG von Aulock 1642.

1983550822_ARTEMIS_BLACK(2).jpg.ea18d27229768c50cb46cde45a854905.jpg

• Like 6

Welcome to the dark side, @thenickelguy! Artemis is a common subject of coins, and she has many guises: Artemis Tauropolos, Artemis of Ephesus, Artemis phosphoros, etc.

[IMG]

Otacilia Severa, AD 244-249.
Thrace, Bizya Æ 23.5 mm, 6.89 gm, 7 h.
Obv: M WTAKEIΛIA CEBHPA CEB, diademed and draped bust, right.
Rev: ΒΙΖVΗΝΩΝ, Artemis Phosphoros standing right, holding arrow and torch; stag at her feet.
Refs: Tachev, Bizija 5 (this coin); Moushmov 3514; Sear GIC 3991; Varbanov 1592; Lindgren II 759; Jurukova 147; Mionnet Suppl 2, 193; RPC VIII, (unassigned; ID 48718); CN 3897; Milano IV/3 --; BMC Thrace --; SNG Tubingen --; SNG Copenhagen --;Wiczay --.
Notes: Double die-match to RPC specimen and to Lindgren II 759.

• Like 6