Licinius, varieties of GENIO AVGVSTI

Valentinian

Licinius was Augustus 308-324. He is not very interesting and his coins are common, so prices are generally low for his copper coins. You might buy one GENIO AVGVSTI reverse type for Licinius and quit:

LiciniusGENIOAVGVSTI2015.jpg.5c154803a1b1caf504dd8cb5a9a986a9.jpg 
GENIO AVGVSTI for Licinius as Augustus, with Genius holding Victory on globe and cornucopia. Other varieties are below. Licinius's name is spelled with two N's (IMP C LIC LICINNIVS PF AVG), although it is commonly spelled with one.
21-20 mm. 4.69 grams. Struck 311-312. Fieldmarks  *   S, mintmark ANT. RIC Antioch 162a. This issue is shared with Maximinus II (Antioch was in his territory) and Constantine.

However, you might notice that they do not always have "Victory on globe."  A search of RIC shows five varieties (not counting different mints) [EDIT: the next post shows there are actually six]. Cheap coins and only five varieties mean I think about getting them all. I did, and made a web page on them:

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/tetrarchy/LiciniusGA.html

If a series has a hundred coins, you have to be very serious to attempt to complete it. Five in a series makes it a merely a fun project.

Comment are solicited, and if you have a short project completed, or nearing completion, we'd love to see it.  

Edited by Valentinian
The next post showed the number was wrong.
  • Like 14

There is also the first issue from Daia's mints which has eagle in field. Antioch with eagle was Daia-only, but the type exists for Licinius at Nicomedia and Cyzicus.

The Licinius Thessalonica specimen on your page is interesting in that it includes Licinius's bald spot... present on many, but not all, Thessalonica dies (even in gold) and some Siscia ones too. An oddly personal detail that is only seen at Licinius' own mints.

I wrote about this bald spot depiction a while back on the FORVM board:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=122896

Here's my RIC 72a with eagle:

image.png.0594e91a0550f65a698ed103a1480ab9.png

Edited by Heliodromus
  • Like 8
  • Cool Think 1
  • Popcorn 1

4 hours ago, Heliodromus said:

There is also the first issue from Daia's mints which has eagle in field. Antioch with eagle was Daia-only, but the type exists for Licinius at Nicomedia and Cyzicus.

The Licinius Thessalonica specimen on your page is interesting in that it includes Licinius's bald spot... present on many, but not all, Thessalonica dies (even in gold) and some Siscia ones too. An oddly personal detail that is only seen at Licinius' own mints.

I wrote about this bald spot depiction a while back on the FORVM board:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=122896

Here's my RIC 72a with eagle:

image.png.0594e91a0550f65a698ed103a1480ab9.png

Very interesting! I’ll be checking my early Licinius coins for that bald head! I love these cool details that may give a bit more insight into what these people looked like. Until today, I thought Carus was the only late empire emperor brave enough to show he was balding. 
CarusUnknown.JPG.d5dd694a6149b95953a7874787cd1cad.JPG

• Like 7

Ok… so a follow up… I DO have two going bald Licinius coins! Both from Thessalonica. Only one is photographed. I never noticed!

LiciniusThessalonicaRIC37b.jpg.be4d829a2c564eff37fd39e13142151d.jpg
Thessalonica RIC VI 37b

…and then not to derail the thread further, back to your regularly scheduled Licinius GENIO AVGVSTI programming.

LiciniusAlexandriaRICVI-160a.JPG.dcd627be54c0f15473cf48dcde8b381a.JPG
Alexandria RIC VI 160a

• Like 7

Bronze coin (AE Follis) minted at SM.TS. =Thessalonica during the reign of LICINUS I between 308 -310 A.D. Obv. VAL.LICINVS.P.F.AVG. laur. hd. r. Rev. GENIO.A-VGVSTI Genius stg. l. modius on head, naked but for chlamys over l. shoulder, r. holding patera, l. cornucopia.  RCS #3793. RICVI #30b pg.514.

image.png.cfa9f2f61b1ad6595bf9a1da63763632.pngimage.png.e621b98f5855a262cf3bbc30ec8de91a.png

• Like 5

Fun project, @Valentinian, and an informative write-up on them on your web page!

Here are a couple of IOVI CONSERVATORI folles.

[IMG]
Licinius I, AD 308-324.
Roman silvered billion follis, 2.98 g, 20.2 mm, 6 h.
Heraclea, 313-314.
Obv: IMP C VAL LICIN LICINIVS P F AVG, laureate head right.
Rev: IOVI CONS-ERVATORI AVGG, Jupiter standing left, holding Victory on globe and scepter; eagle at feet to left. -/Γ//SMHT.
RIC vii, p. 542, 6; RCV --.

[IMG]
Licinius I, AD 308-324.
Roman silvered billion follis, 3.32 g, 22.1 mm, 1 h.
Siscia, AD 315-316.
Obv: IMP LIC LICINIVS P F AVG, laureate head right.
Rev: IOVI CON-SERVATORI, Jupiter standing left, holding Victory on globe and scepter; eagle at feet to left. -/Є//•SIS•.
RIC vii, p. 424, 17; RCV 15212.

And a campgate!

[IMG]
Licinius I, AD 308-324.
Roman billon follis, 2.71 g, 18.3 mm, 11 h.
Heraclea, second officina, AD 317-18.
Obv: IMP LICI-NIVS AVG, Laureate and draped bust right, holding globe, scepter and mappa.
Rev: PROVIDEN-TIAE AVGG, three-turreted gateway of military camp; Λ in right field; SMHB in exergue.
Refs: RIC vii, p. 547, 48 var. (bust right); Cohen 145; RCV 15268.

• Like 7