A very nice joint reign follis of Justin I and Justinian II, Constantinople, 527 AD

robinjojo

• Benefactor

This coin is a fairly recent arrival.  I've been looking for a single bust follis of this very brief period when Justin I and Justinian I were co-emperors.  I have a follis from Antioch, so now that task is done.

Justin I and Justinian I,  Æ follis of 40 Nummi, Constantinople, officina A, April-August 527 AD.

MIBE 4; DOC 10; Sear 125

17.25 grams; 31mm.

The obverse legend is complete and generally quite legible.

D-CameraJustinIJustinianIfollis40Nummi.ConAAD527MIBE4DOC10Sear12517.25g31mm8-15-23.jpg.d21438fae96f80b1f266888cd2629796.jpg

Here's the follis from Antioch for the same period.

Justin I and Justinian I, follis, Antioch (ANTIX), Officina Γ, April-August 527 AD.

SB 129; MIB 10

17.4 grams

D-CameraJustinIJustinianIfollisAntiochApr-Aug527ADVeryRareAbtVF17.4g5-4-21.jpg.fca4151741764e2e958d311827b7907b.jpg

• Like 13
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Mind blown 1

• Benefactor

Yes, they don't show up very often.  As I recall one example in a past CNG e-auction hammered for $600 as I recall, not including buyer's fee and sales tax (if applicable).  That was a good bargain for the buyer.  I've only seen a few listed before, and they were priced at over $1,000.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What a lovely example of Sear 125! I loved how cramped the legend is on these Justin/Justinian coins, which helps with attribution even when they are borderline illegible. I want to see an unworn Antioch facing bust issue from this series. The very best ones have the slightest outline of eyes and a nose and that is as good as they get. Has a mint one ever been published? It would be nice compare the faces of these experimental facing bust coins to the ones that would become standard issue after Justinian's coin reform. As always, Antioch mint gets another A+ for creative and attractive designs.

• Like 2

• Benefactor
14 hours ago, Nicomedia13 said:

What a lovely example of Sear 125! I loved how cramped the legend is on these Justin/Justinian coins, which helps with attribution even when they are borderline illegible. I want to see an unworn Antioch facing bust issue from this series. The very best ones have the slightest outline of eyes and a nose and that is as good as they get. Has a mint one ever been published? It would be nice compare the faces of these experimental facing bust coins to the ones that would become standard issue after Justinian's coin reform. As always, Antioch mint gets another A+ for creative and attractive designs.

Thanks

I don't know of any well struck, high grade examples of the Antioch facing busts type.  My guess is that the die was crudely created for the obverse.  That, coupled with circulation probably led to the few examples out there with poor obverse detail.  I think if a really high grade, well struck coin of this type were to surface, the price for it would be a pretty penny indeed!

• Like 1

Quite right, @robinjojo, I've never seen a pristine Antiochene joint reign follis either. Here's my scrappy example; very little of a mint mark to be seen either. It's Sear 130; Hahn 10 var. Officina gamma. 17.77 mm. 32.6 mm. 11 hr. 

S0130.jpg.a25ff0fa65269c4f3efe9a9a6f6050c7.jpg

Here's my Kyzikos example: Sear 128A; Hahn 9, 2. 16.93 gr. 30.6 mm. 5 hr. Poor photo. Coin nicer in hand,

S0128A.jpg.ae5701810c15c535da75aaec25d94630.jpg

• Like 4