Seleucis and Pieria, and, Laodicea ad Mare -- Can someone explain it to me, please?

Topcat7

I have a Roman Provincial coin where the 'reference' describes both 'towns' which is confusing me greatly.

If the mint was at Laodicea (Turkey), then what is the reference to Seleucia (Macedon) and Pieria (Macedon) for?

Where does Antioch (Syria) fit in?

For my purposes I only need the region and the town (i.e. Macedon, Thessalonika)

Magical Snap - 2023.08.14 15.18 - 072.jpg

My coin:

Magical Snap - 2023.08.14 16.47 - 074.jpg

Edited by Topcat7
  • Like 3

I think that is an incorrect description. Probably an attributor was not sure about what they're writing/wrong copy paste/ whatever and the incorrect attribution was copied by other people. 

I encountered myself this problem more than once, especially with Provincials and a few times with Imperials. 

Last time with my Divus Constantius I coin I recently acquired, and I found it very interesting that it was struck under Licinius I according to OCRE. Well, it's just a mistake - it's struck under Constantine I. 

Regarding Syrian cities, there is much confusion and I am not sure if I'm totally correct now too. 

Seleucia Pieria was the sea port of Antioch. Syrian Antioch. 

Syria region had other cities, one of them being Laodicea ad Mare. 

Your coin is from Syria, Laodicea. I think Seleucia Pieria is wrong and has no connection to your coin. 

I might be wrong but I had the same uncertainty while trying to understand the connection between Seleucia Pieria and Antioch - and anyway these locations are not  related to your coin.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

I think that is an incorrect description. Probably an attributor was not sure about what they're writing/wrong copy paste/ whatever and the incorrect attribution was copied by other people. 

Your coin is from Syria, Laodicea. I think Seleucia Pieria is wrong and has no connection to your coin. 

@ambr0zie  Thank you. That is what I was after. Clears it up for me. Thank you, again.

• Like 3