"First Ever" Hoard of Iron Age Coins in Wales Declared 'Treasure'

DLTcoins

Nice find. Interesting that they are Corieltavi coins. Celtic coins don't usually travel far.

This is the nearest I can get to those. I wonder if the copper used to adulterate the gold came from Anglesey.

Volisios Dumnocoveros Stater, 35-40
image.png.c4925907167514013906970cca7acda2.png
Corieltavi tribe, Leicestershire. Base gold, 20mm, 5.06g. Stylised horse left with large head, 3 pellets below horse's neck; DVM NOCO VER OS around horse. Wreath pattern fills field, 3 horizontal lines across wreath; VO LI between top lines, SI OS between bottom lines (S 416; ABC 1980; VA 978-01 ‘Corieltauvian P’).

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 8
  • Cookie 1

Reading the article made me smile. Apparently the landowner thinks he will loan the coins to the museum.  Sadly it's most unlikely that he will ever get his hands on them ever again.  The coins are already at the museum in Cardiff. 

As the landowner, he is only entitled to a reward equivalent to half of whatever the 'Treasure Valuation Committee' decide on their value. The committee don't have specific expertise in valuation but rely on an expert valuation by a person chosen by the UK Government.  In the case of the Anglesey Hoard no account will be made of their special/unique location etc, it will be based entirely on auction prices realised for similar coins with or without provenance.  I would expect the landowner to see a cheque of about £3000 in a couple of years.  The coins will belong the the Museum of Wales and hopefully will be on display for all to see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rhj959 said:

Reading the article made me smile. Apparently the landowner thinks he will loan the coins to the museum.  Sadly it's most unlikely that he will ever get his hands on them ever again.  The coins are already at the museum in Cardiff. 

As the landowner, he is only entitled to a reward equivalent to half of whatever the 'Treasure Valuation Committee' decide on their value. The committee don't have specific expertise in valuation but rely on an expert valuation by a person chosen by the UK Government.  In the case of the Anglesey Hoard no account will be made of their special/unique location etc, it will be based entirely on auction prices realised for similar coins with or without provenance.  I would expect the landowner to see a cheque of about £3000 in a couple of years.  The coins will belong the the Museum of Wales and hopefully will be on display for all to see.

Still, a better result than if they’d tried to hide it and sell them on the black market.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

Still, a better result than if they’d tried to hide it and sell them on the black market.

Yes, they they had stolen them and sold them to dealer they would be looking at a lengthy prison sentence. Proceeds of crime act would chase them for £30k 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rhj959 said:

Yes, they they had stolen them and sold them to dealer they would be looking at a lengthy prison sentence. Proceeds of crime act would chase them for £30k 🤣

Or like these guys who didn’t declare £750k of coins. Because they had to sell them as stolen goods they were only asking £200-250k for them, instead of £375k legally. They ended up with nothing and jail.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Smile 1
  • Yes 2