The last Seleucid

Sulla80

image.png.a0b3dd209d9579c359812553e61eb23b.pngPhilip I, Philadelphios was the last independent Seleucid king, son of Antiochos VIII, Grypos. After his death his likeness continue to be used. There are at least 3 phases of these coins:
- lifetime
- postumus
- Roman

Pompey brought most of the Mediterranean under Roman rule at the end of the Third Mithridatic War. Pompey's triumph in Rome is painted above by Veronese Renaissance painter Nicola Giolfino (1476-1555). I've posted additional notes on this coin here: Seleucid End

image.png.4ce556700cc9cebe2f759aed40fbf4e7.png

Seleukid Kingdom, uncertain mint (possibly Antioch on the Orontes), Philip I Philadelphos 95-75 BC, AR Tetradrachm 24mm, 15.28g
Obv: Diademed head of Philip I right
Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΥ ΕΠΙΦΑΝΟΥΣ ΦΙΛΑΔΕΛΦΟΥ, Zeus seated left, holding crowning Nike and scepter, beneath throne, monogram, in exergue, Π
Ref: SC 2464b

Share your coins of Philip I, Epiphanes Philadelphos (Illustrious and Brother-loving), notes on this time period, or anything else you find interesting or entertaining.

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 19
  • Heart Eyes 3
  • Yes 1

17 hours ago, Troyden said:

At the risk of sounding stupid, how to tell apart the lifetime, posthumous and Romans coinage?

Good question @Troyden and differentiating is not always possible - my coin above is uncertain - control marks (often off flan) are the important detail on the lifetime and portrait style is useful for Roman.  Here’s a Roman example - same (ok - not as nice) as the one of @Al Kowsky above.
AulusGabiniusTetradrachm.jpeg.3298da109d7409fa50c8ce06e37e8d3c.jpeg

SYRIA, Seleucis and Pieria. Antioch. Aulus Gabinus, Proconsul, 57-55 BC. Tetradrachm

Obv: Idealized diademed head of the Seleukid king Philip Philadelphos to right.
Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ - ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟV / ΕΠΙΦΑΝΟVΣ - ΦΙΛΑΔΕΛΦΟV Zeus seated on throne to left, holding Nike in his right hand and long spear in his left; below throne, monogram of ΔΙ; in field to left, monogram of ΑΥΛΓΒ

I have another dated example from year 4 of a Caesarean Era posted here:

https://www.sullacoins.com/post/julius-caesar-in-antioch

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, Sulla80 said:

Good question @Troyden and differentiating is not always possible - my coin above is uncertain - control marks (often off flan) are the important detail on the lifetime and portrait style is useful for Roman.  Here’s a Roman example - same (ok - not as nice) as the one of @Al Kowsky above.
AulusGabiniusTetradrachm.jpeg.3298da109d7409fa50c8ce06e37e8d3c.jpeg

SYRIA, Seleucis and Pieria. Antioch. Aulus Gabinus, Proconsul, 57-55 BC. Tetradrachm

Obv: Idealized diademed head of the Seleukid king Philip Philadelphos to right.
Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ - ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟV / ΕΠΙΦΑΝΟVΣ - ΦΙΛΑΔΕΛΦΟV Zeus seated on throne to left, holding Nike in his right hand and long spear in his left; below throne, monogram of ΔΙ; in field to left, monogram of ΑΥΛΓΒ

I have another dated example from year 4 of a Caesaream Era posted here:

https://www.sullacoins.com/post/julius-caesar-in-antioch

So I assume my specimen is lifetime. The portrait is far from idolized, it's pretty brutal in its depiction.

ZomboDroid_06082023010133.jpg

• Like 7

Yes, I think yours is SC 2463 (click link for reference in SC Online) or more specifically 2463.3j (reflecting the sigma in exergue) that is described in Seleucid Coins (2008) as "Antioch on the Orontes from 88/7 BC" after a single issue with primary control N/A, Φ/A was adopted for the remainder of his reign and secondary controls and dates from the reign of Philip I and your coin circa 88/7-76/5 BC.  Here I've annotated your coin: primary control (off flan to left - with and example of the N/A and Φ/A from other coins);  secondary control (in exergue) on your coin is Σ; and there is a frozen control shown in blue (under throne).   Weight of the coin can also be useful....

image.png.11e0f0cd93810e28ba7d7e289c051658.png

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 9

An important point: many of these tetradrachms have control marks off the flan. Be careful when buying what you think is a good deal because you might not be able to fully attribute the coin.

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Smile 1

3 hours ago, Sulla80 said:

Yes, I think yours is SC 2463 (click link for reference in SC Online) or more specifically 2463.3j (reflecting the sigma in exergue) that is described in Seleucid Coins (2008) as "Antioch on the Orontes from 88/7 BC" after a single issue with primary control N/A, Φ/A was adopted for the remainder of his reign and secondary controls and dates from the reign of Philip I and your coin circa 88/7-76/5 BC.  Here I've annotated your coin: primary control (off flan to left - with and example of the N/A and Φ/A from other coins);  secondary control (in exergue) on your coin is Σ; and there is a frozen control shown in blue (under throne).   Weight of the coin can also be useful....

image.png.11e0f0cd93810e28ba7d7e289c051658.png

Thank you for this analysis.

The weight is 15.22 g and diameter is about 24 mm.

• Like 3