Bought with simple description - Mysia: Pergamon Bronze Coin

thenickelguy

All I can figure is that this is a bronze coin which is supposed to be from Mysia, a region in the northwest of ancient Asia Minor. I believe it was struck in the city of Pergamon. No size or weight given.

Athena is wearing a helmet with a star and looking right. On the reverse an owl has wings spread on an olive branch.

I don't know what to do to research it more. It looks legitimate to me and it didn't cost much. I bought it because I liked it. I see very similar coins with a wide range of asking prices.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you!

Conclusion: Greek
Mysia. Pergamon circa 133-27 BC.
Bronze Æ
Head of Athena right, wearing crested Attic helmet decorated with a star / AΘHNAΣ above, NIKHΦOPOY below, (ATHENA above NIKIFOROU below), owl standing facing, wing's spread, on palm branch, A to left, Δ to right.

PergamonG.jpg

Late Edit:

This coin arrived today. It is more brown-grey-black than green as this above image shows.

owlO2.jpg.7bf8ed3e5df8fd8824654a17b1af2d95.jpg

owlR2.jpg.dad6495a1637583dc2e6a432bc2d9b61.jpg

Edited by thenickelguy
  • Like 4

I have one, too!

[IMG]
Mysia, Pergamon, 200-133 BC.
Bronze Æ 15.7 mm, 3.55 g, 12 h.
Obv: Head of Athena right, wearing crested helmet ornamented with star.
Rev: AΘΗ-ΝΑΣ ΝΙΚΗΦΟΡΟΥ, owl standing facing on palm, with wings spread,TK monogram left and ΠΛ right.
Refs: SNG Copenhagen 388 (same); c.f. SNG von Aulock 1375-6, BMC 197-199, SNG France 1920-2, SNG BN 1913-6 (various monograms).

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

This would be fitting!

Greek
Mysia. Pergamon circa 133-27 BC.
Bronze Æ
Head of Athena right, wearing crested Attic helmet decorated with a star / AΘHNAΣ above, NIKHΦOPOY below, (ATHENA above NIKIFOROU below), owl standing facing, wing's spread, on palm branch, A to left, Δ to right.

Edited by thenickelguy