Roman Coins in Reverse - a Chronological Gallery

CPK

• Benefactor
9 hours ago, ambr0zie said:

But a coin I like, because of the reverse type (also zoo series) and patina is 

image.png.e3288c907fc72be10a22a22b3dc1bd9f.png

20 mm, 3,00 g.
Cornelia Salonina. Augusta 254-268. Æ antoninianus. Rome.
COR SALONINA AVG, bust of Salonina, diademed, draped, right, on crescent / IVNONI CONS AVG, bBearded and antlered goat walking l., Δ (=officina 4) in exergue.
RIC V Salonina 16.

I like your coin, but I don't think that's a goat: the goat in the Zoo Series is a lot shaggier; see my example posted above:

image.jpeg.296ba04f7ea2ce81f5f42bb310c4d4f6.jpeg

Rather, I believe it's supposed to be an antelope, at least according to the various authorities including Wolkow:

image.png.30571cf20717e5c4f031c5be609f21ff.png

I had never bought an example of the Cornelia Salonina IVNONI CONS AVG Zoo Series coin -- nice ones seem to be quite difficult to find -- but after I got my Leu refund, I decided to spend 75 Euros to order this one from a German dealer, even though it looks like it may be suffering from bronze disease. If and when I receive it -- and I made sure to pay via credit card this time, since the extra fees don't add up to much at this cost level -- I guess I'll find out, and treat it if necessary.

image.png.02c596a57d66fa3f18d68ceb4209e8d9.png

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Thanks, @DonnaML. The house I bought this coin from does not provide full attributions. I remember I had some difficulties when attributing it from the same reason - was not sure if goat or antelope. Will investigate further and correct. 

Edit - RIC lists the reverse as a doe. It's either an antelope or a doe in my opinion, not a goat. I remember checking RIC when attributing the coin (like I usually do) but I think I found many examples described as goat and decided RIC is wrong on this coin. To make it even more fishy, I just noticed now that in my Excel spreadsheet of coins it's listes as doe, in my Word catalogue as goat. 

I think I will leave the description as 

COR SALONINA AVG, bust of Salonina, diademed, draped, right, on crescent / IVNONI CONS AVG, doe (or antelope), walking left.

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 2

I have an entire page in my album, for Macrianus coins. 

image.png.7b49dbdc15d7e8bccb5007dd724e0459.png

On a serious note, the only examples I saw (and quite a lot of them) were provincials from Nicaea in Bthynia with a city walls reverse. 

I even attributed one once for an auction house. Hopefully correctly. Not my coin. 

3202118_1661765156.jpg

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 4
  • Smile 1
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor

Oh, here's one:

Macrianus, A.D. 260-261 Type: AE antoninianus, 22 mm 3.1 grams, Antioch mint.

Obverse: IMP C FVL MACRIANVS P F AVG, radiate cuirassed bust right

Reverse: APOLINI CONSERVA, Apollo standing left holding branch and resting hand on lyre set on a low column.

Reference: RIC 6; RSC 2; Sear 10799.

The background:

Macrianus, along with his father and his brother Quietus were in Mesopotamia in 260, for the Sassanid campaign of Emperor Valerian. After the Roman army was defeated by the forces of Shapur, the emperor Valerian was captured in a disaster for the Romans. However, with the help of his father, Macrianus Senior, the trio was able to keep the Imperial treasure. Through the influence of the Praetorian prefect Balista, who had served under Valerian, Macrianus gained the imperial office together with his brother Quietus through the election by the army, whilst Gallienus remained emperor in the West.

Macrianus and Quietus were recognized in the eastern part of the Empire, having a strong power base in Egypt, from which they controlled the bulk of the grain supply intended for Rome. After having temporarily secured the Persian frontier, Macrianus Major and Macrianus Minor moved to the West to attack and eliminate their rival Gallienus, commanding an army of 30,000 men. They were however defeated in autumn 261 by Aureolus, Gallienus' former cavalry commander and met their demise.

One footnote of interest is that the military formation of Aureolus was the newly created mobile field army intended to quickly react to both barbarian incursions and internal threats, moving much faster than traditional legions. This is one innovation that contemporary historians have posited and credited to Gallienus, who mostly is given a bad rap in the Historia Augusta and also older sources such as Gibbon. Here is a passage from the Historia Augusta:

"Macrianus and Ballista met together, called in the remains of the army, and, since the Roman power in the East was tottering, sought someone to appoint as emperor. For Gallienus was showing himself so careless of public affairs that his name was not even mentioned to the soldiers. It was then finally decided to choose Macrianus and his sons as emperors and to undertake the defense of the state. And so the imperial power was offered to Macrianus. Now the reasons why Macrianus and his sons should be chosen to rule were these: First of all, no one of the generals of that time was held to be wiser, and none more suited to govern the state; in the second place, he was the richest, and could by his private fortune make good the public losses. In addition to this, his sons, most valiant young men, rushed with all spirit into the war, ready to serve as an example to the legions in all the duties of soldiers." 

macrianus1.jpg.8bd7bf3c049f0b448ddec6ac6a0b93cf.jpg

macrianus2.jpg.1c5f6c859bb42465132daee78e532cd1.jpg

• Like 11

With respect to the two pretenders to the throne, Macrianus and his brother Quietus, I am in the same boat as Qcumbor.  I have (or had) one of each in a box which I cannot now locate (along with dozens of other nice items in it).  So I will have to take a pass on them.  Instead I have devoted a bit more time to my display for Salonina.  I will show an example of her silver coinage from all but one of the mints who struck for her.  However, I also want my selections to reflect the impact of inflation on the products of those mints.   

The roster of mints here follows the number and order of mints as given by Prof. N.M. McQ Holmes in the catalog and iconograpic study published by CNG in 2019 at the sale of his collection.  All but one are represented.  After Rome the mints are listed from West to East.  

RIC numbering reflects the joint reign og Gallienus with his father (J); against the sole reign of Gallienus (S).  Other numbers: (MIR) reference R Goebel - Moneta Imperii Romani (2000)

The obverses for all but one of the following feature a diademed, draped bust, wearing stephane, hair arranged in tightly constructed wrap of braids, facing right, on a cresent.

Inflation in the Imperial Roman economy had always had a debasement effect on the metal composition of Imperial coinage. The introduction of the Antoninianus under Caracalla about 213 AD as a double denarius with only 1.5 times the original silver content is a case in point.  However, by the middle of the third century the rate of inflation spiraled out of control, and the necessary debasement in the currency could not so easily be masked. At the beginning of the joint reign of Valerian and Gallienus silver coinage had already become significantly debased.  Yet, with the challenge to stability occasioned by the loss of Valerian, further economic flux caused the metal composition to move rather quickly from being noticeably silver, to potin, to brass, to bronze all within the sole reign of Gallienus.  

Cornelia Salonina

The obverses for all but one of the following feature a diademed, draped bust, wearing stephane, hair arranged in a tightly constructed wrap of braids, facing right, on a crescent.

ROME

The three coins I show from the mint at Rome, were selected to show something of the range of inflation effects on the manufacturing of coins during this reign.    

1a-Salonina-ant01b-Rom.jpg.f7c7600da297c2bf35a7417f3f5f4d74.jpg

RIC 35(J)   The "good silver" of this coin marks it as having been minted early in the joint reign.

SALONI - NA AVG

Pietas seated to L, two small figures standing at her L and one beneath her.  
PIETAS - AVGG

The presence of the three small figures (children) and the bare breasted female figure of Piety, here associates the "piety" of womanhood with the care and feeding of children.

1b-Salonina-ant09b.jpg.f61c548ecd3f5c7ba2646710dcea1ca5.jpg

RIC 15(S)  antoninianus   (orichalcum)
The specific color tone of this coin places its alloy closer to orichalcum (brass) rather than more basic bronze. As such it had a slighter higher tariff value.

COR SALONINA AVG

Doe walking L
IVNONI CONS AVG
delta in exergue

1c-Salonina-den01b.jpg.d776c6b777484584be5ac44261049704.jpg

RIC 39  denarius  (deeply toned billon)

The obverse portrait bust is like all the others here but does not rest on a crescent.
SA[LONINA AVG]

Securitas stg L, legs crossed, leaning on column and holding scepter
[SECVRIT PERPET]

VIMINACIUM

(closed in 257 - gear transferred to Cologne
a Danubian settlement (modern Serbia)

2-Salonina-ant03a-Vim.jpg.d29b10cd79de3329b31b30e0563171b3.jpg

MIR  853b

CORN SALONINA AVG

Pietas stg L R arm raised, holding box of perfumes in L.
PIETAS AVG

COLONIA AGRIPPIENSIS (Cologne)

3-Salonina-ant02b-Col.jpg.b2a02410fb8833b7fb32ac642e4651c1.jpg

MIR O904C   [compare RIC 8(J)]
earlier attribution to Lugdunum is not upheld in more recent scholarship

SALONINA AVG

Venus half naked, seen from rear, stg to R, leaning on column holds out palm
VENVS - VICTRIX

MEDIOLANUM (MILAN)

4-Salonina-ant06a-Mil.jpg.65e7c78452471c1f2be26f1bbfa9d28c.jpg

RIC 61  (S) 

SALONINA AVG

Felicitas stg to L, legs crossed, leaning on column, holding out caduceus in R hand
FELIC-IT PVBL

SISCIA

5-Salonina-ant04b-Sis.jpg.ce3e3f632f2674028cc2804c4ef918b3.jpg

RIC 79(S)
SALONINA AVG

Pietas stg L sacrificing before flaming altar
PIETAS AVG

CYZICUS
not shown - Salonina's coins from this mint are marked in the reverse exergue with SMQP.  Present day values are very high, and the available supply correspondingly weak.

ANTIOCH

7a-Salonina-ant07a-Ant.jpg.e3a61d4ca19de93c0fec9f100f4e5178.jpg

MIR 1585h [but compare RIC 28(J) below]
SALONINA AVG

Juno stg L holding out patera in R hand, and staff with L; peacock at feet on L
IVNO REGINA

7b-Salonina-ant08b-Ant.jpg.8e6fb24faaaea77f080233631a8814c1.jpg

MIR 1585h [but compare RIC 28(J)]
SALONINA AVG

Juno stg L holding out patera in R hand, and staff with L; (no peacock)
IVNO REGINA

This coin was selected to demonstrate a distinctive "flat face" obverse portrait that is specific to Antioch.  On the reverse: this example does not appear to have a bird at the feet of the reverse figure, which is a common characteristic of this same motif from the mint at Rome.  However, the obverse portrait unmistakeably ties this example to Antioch.

SAMOSATA  (RIC as "ASIA")

8-Salonina-ant05a-Sam.jpg.ae0c2919f4834014a6eeb2d90cb8da57.jpg

MIR 1683p  [compare RIC 71(J) ]

CORN SALONINA AVG

Vesta stg L holds palladium in R hand, scepter in L
VESTA AE-TERNA

RSC misreports the reverse inscription as VESTA AETERNAE (contra RIC)

• Like 7
  • Yes 1
  • Clap 1

• Benefactor

My only Postumus in good enough condition to make it worth posting:

Postumus, silvered billon Antoninianus, Trier [Mairat] or Cologne Mint, 265-268 AD. [Mairat pp. 61, 64: 266-267 AD.] Obv. Radiate & draped bust right, IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG / Rev. Serapis, crowned and draped, standing left, raising right hand and holding transverse sceptre in left hand; in background, prow of galley right, SERAPI COMITI AVG. RIC V-1 329, RSC IV 358, Sear RCV III 10992 (ill. p. 364), Mairat 362 (pp. 532-533) & Pls 143-144 [Jerome Mairat, The Coinage of the Gallic Empire (Trinity, Oxford, 2014), available at https://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:58eb4e43-a6d5-4e93-adeb-f374b9749a7f/download_file?file_format=pdf&safe_filename=Volume_1.pdf&type_of_work=Thesis ]. 21 mm., 3.80 g. 

image.png.817439aeffb9a63079ab7b6b07074bd7.png

Although I must confess that in light of the current thread asking for recognizable reverse depictions of emperors, I do find this reverse supposedly portraying Postumus holding a globe and spear (RIC V-1 54, Lugdunum Mint) to be rather entertaining given how unrecognizable and misshapen he looks:

image.png.83092f34291947dbfcbe6868f0ed12c5.png

image.png.71bade30f9f8d296b9f95bffe003beb7.png

• Like 11

I have 2 Postumus coins. 

The first was also one of my first ancient coins and I admit I had to check Google to find out about this emperor.  Reverse is a very classical depiction of a fit Jupiter. 

image.png.55f2a8676d630b14c24c2b7f0e346829.png

19,9 mm, 2,38 g.
Postumus. Usurper in Gaul 260-269. Billon antoninianus. Colonia Agrippina (Cologne, Germany). 260-261 AD.
IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust of Postumus right / IOVI VICTORI, Jupiter walking right, hurling a thunderbolt.
RIC V Postumus 311.

My second is one with pretty decent silvering and showing Sarapis. I posted on my Caracalla antoninianus thread the statistics of Serapis reverses - before Caracalla there were 1 Vespasian, 1 Domitian, 2 Hadrian and 9 Commodus types. Then 33 Caracalla types. Then 1 Gordian III type, 2 Gallienus, 2 Claudius Gothicus, 2 Postumus and 3 LRB medallions. 

image.png.9d2d95e3a6966dda3fa29847a142c166.png

21 mm, 3,33 g.
Postumus. Usurper in Gaul 260-269. AR antoninianus. Cologne.
IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, bust of Postumus, radiate, draped, right, or bust of Postumus, radiate, draped, cuirassed, right / SERAPI COMITI AVG, Serapis, draped, standing left, raising right hand and holding sceptre in left hand.
RIC V Postumus 329; RSC 360a.

This is similar to the coin posted by @DonnaML (same catalogue entry in RIC) but shows no vessel. 

• Like 9

• Benefactor
On 9/28/2023 at 2:24 PM, ambr0zie said:

My second is one with pretty decent silvering and showing Sarapis. I posted on my Caracalla antoninianus thread the statistics of Serapis reverses - before Caracalla there were 1 Vespasian, 1 Domitian, 2 Hadrian and 9 Commodus types. Then 33 Caracalla types. Then 1 Gordian III type, 2 Gallienus, 2 Claudius Gothicus, 2 Postumus and 3 LRB medallions. 

image.png.9d2d95e3a6966dda3fa29847a142c166.png

This is similar to the coin posted by @DonnaML (same catalogue entry in RIC) but shows no vessel. 

Another example of RSC's tendency to assign many more separate numbers to different (and arguably minor) variations than RIC traditionally does. RSC IV 358 & 358a show a vessel (one with the obverse bust draped, and one draped and cuirassed); 360 and 360a do not show the vessel, with the same distinction between the two numbers. Together with another type (357) with a slightly different reverse legend, all five RSC numbers are subsumed under the single number RIC V-1 329.  Perhaps RIC's newer revised volumes are moving more in RSC's direction: for example, the relatively new Hadrian volume (RIC II-3) seemingly assigns a separate type number to just about every  variation, and, therefore, if my recollection is accurate, has several times as many different type numbers as the old RIC II volume's Hadrian section.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 3

Frankly I don't agree with RIC on this one, as the variations are not minor. I think it would have been a more logical idea to list them as subtypes - 329a b c....) or even create separate entries. 

I have seen the same situation for Gallienus coins for example, where coins with obverse left/right (major difference in my opinion) are listed under the same number. 

In contrast, for LRB coins a minor difference, like small variation in the mint mark (sometimes extremely small difference) means different catalogue numbers. 

• Like 1

• Benefactor
4 hours ago, ambr0zie said:

Frankly I don't agree with RIC on this one, as the variations are not minor. I think it would have been a more logical idea to list them as subtypes - 329a b c....) or even create separate entries. 

I have seen the same situation for Gallienus coins for example, where coins with obverse left/right (major difference in my opinion) are listed under the same number. 

In contrast, for LRB coins a minor difference, like small variation in the mint mark (sometimes extremely small difference) means different catalogue numbers. 

I agree with you. Draped vs. draped & cuirassed is minor. Boat vs. no boat is pretty significant!

• Like 1

Nothing Laelianus here but a nice Marius showing an evanescent Victory on reverse and a nice pink-ish patina 

6232d9ee5aa44a95b9daba015752dedd-1.jpg.c45d54f7a8f4372c6a97d2c424b2a3c0.jpg

Marius, Antoninianus - Mint #2 : Köln or Mainz
MP C M AVR MARIVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
VICT - ORIA AVG, Victory walking left, holding wreath and palm
3,2 gr
Ref : RIC # 17, RCV # 11124, Cohen # 21 (20Fr), Schulzki 7a

Q

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Al Kowsky said:

2coinsConstantiusIadj..jpg.f6ca32f4cc31284d1fbec03050f4f819.jpg

twocoinsConstantiusI.jpg.44b1828e4fa91c4e1feff0f3c85462f3.jpg

ConstantiusICaesarAECyzicusGenius697Pete.jpg.20296c2c9304c69617ef0f60361d9e3b.jpg

Constantius I as Caesar, AD 293-305 (struck c. 295/6). Cyzicus Mint, 2nd Officina. AE Nummus: 8.91 gm, 28 mm, 6 h. RIC VI 11a.

ConstantiusasAugustusTicinum(2).jpg.ecc1f0091b3827401667b694d7827c4f.jpg

2491170-026AKCollectionadj..jpg.014b0775a9a422949bad117ffe689f85.jpg

Beautiful coins (especially that Cyzicus mint! 😮 ) but I think you got the wrong thread! We won't be ready for Constantius I for another month or so. 😉 

• Like 1

• Benefactor

Just bumping this thread because I wanted to remind people that we're about to finish with the time for Tetricus I & II, in case anyone wants to post anything. I believe we turn over to Claudius II Gothicus later today. I haven't had anything to contribute for a while, but wouldn't want this thread to fall completely by the wayside.

• Like 4

I have only 1 Tetricus I coin. This is a barbarous imitation. So I consider the reverse interesting because of the weird style, found on the obverse also. 

image.png.297e2114703b8f26694b49880041cf67.png

13,9 mm, 1,38 g.
Barbarous imitation of Tetricus I 271-274 AD. Ӕ antoninianus.
IMP C TETRICVS P F AVG or IMP C TETRICVS P F AV, bust of Tetricus I, radiate, draped, cuirassed, right / SALVS AVG, Salus, draped, standing left, feeding snake rising from altar with right hand and holding sceptre or anchor in left hand.
Cf RIC V Tetricus I 121.

I have also just 1 Tetricus II coin, this time official. With one of my favorite common reverses - pontifical implements. But what a difference in execution when we think about older coins with this reverse ...

image.png.94e5007fc29d14fe28aa26e955f75610.png

19 mm, 2,19 g.
Tetricus II, as Caesar. 273-274. Æ antoninianus. Treveri.
C PIV ESV TETRICVS CAES, bust of Tetricus II, radiate, draped, right / PIETAS AVGVSTOR, pontifical implements.
RIC V Tetricus I 258.

• Like 9

Claudius Gothicus

The reverse for him has to be that of victory over the Goths !

72e51c42d1924e9b806416855dc556fb.jpg

Claudius II "Gothicus", Antoninianus - Cyzicus mint, AD 269.
IMP CLAVDIUS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
VICTORIAE GOTHIC, Two captives leaning besides a trophy.
3.08 gr
Ref : RCV # 11381; RIC V pt. 1 # 252; Cohen # 308
This antoninianus comemorates Claudius II' victory against Goths at Naissus, thus becoming "Gothicus"

Q

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

Thanks for the bump @DonnaML. There'll be some slow spots but there's also a lot more good stuff coming!

I just wish I could contribute, but I'll have to wait for another week or so. 😞 😉

@Qcumbor I've yet to acquire a Claudius Gothicus but when I do I want that type. That is a nice one - it's rare to see them so well centered and struck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor

My first contribution in a while:

Claudius II Gothicus, billon/AE Antoninianus, 269 AD, Obv. Radiate bust right, draped and cuirassed, IMP CLAVDIVS P F AVG/ Rev. Mars, naked, with helmet, advancing r., carrying spear & trophy, VIRTVS AVG P. In exergue: Officina mark P ( = 1). RIC V-1 172, Sear RCV III 11385.  17 mm., 3.18 g.

image.jpeg.87d707d1e4fd2507e6a81dab70e824c6.jpeg

Claudius II Gothicus, Billon Tetradrachm, 269/270 AD (Year 2), Alexandria, Egypt mint. Obv. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, AVT K KΛA - VΔIOC CEB / Rev. Eagle standing left, head right, holding wreath in beak, L-B (Year 2) across fields. Emmett 3879.2, Milne 4248 at p. 101 [Milne, J.G., Catalogue of Alexandrian Coins (Oxford 1933, reprint with supplement by Colin M. Kraay, 1971)], Dattari 5412. 20 mm., 9.28 g, 12 h. 

image.jpeg.43977462c532a8a0aed57fe316222bce.jpeg

Claudius II Gothicus, Billon Tetradrachm, 269/270 AD (Year 2), Alexandria, Egypt mint. Obv. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, AVT K KΛAVΔIOC CEB / Rev. Jugate busts right of Nilus (crowned with lotus-flower and buds, with cornucopiae at his right shoulder), and his consort Euthenia* (wearing chiton and crowned with grain-ears); L under B (Year 2) in right field. Emmett 3892.2 (obv. ill. p. 195); K&G 104.31 (ill. p. 329); BMC 16 Alexandria 2328 (p. 302); Milne 4244-4245 (p. 101); Sear RCV III 11413; Dattari (Savio) 5405; Curtis 1717. 21 mm., 8.83 g., 12 h. Purchased from Dr. Martina Dieterle, Schenkenzell, Baden-Württemberg, Germany, 12 Jan. 2023 (at NYINC 2023); ex FPL Brandt 4, Stuttgard 1986; ex Münzzentrum Köln Auktion 52, 12 Nov. 1984, Lot 1192.

image.jpeg.4c633de6eea56378ddcea99a0fd35972.jpeg

*See Jones, John Melville, A Dictionary of Ancient Greek Coins (London, Seaby, 1986) at p. 89 [entry for Euthenia]: “ ‘Plenty’, the equivalent of the Roman Abundantia. At Alexandria she was represented as the bride of the Nile, reclining like him, or seated, with corn wreath and sometimes with sceptre and uraeus (sacred cobra).” 

• Like 10

Roman Asia Minor. Pisidia, Antiochia. Claudius II Gothicus, AD 268-270. AE25 (8.82g). Obv: IMP CAES-CLAVDIV; Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev: ANTI-OCH C-L; Vexillum between two standards, the Vexillum surmounted by an eagle standing right, wings closed. Two pellets to left and right of the vexillum shaft; S-R in exergue; L in reverse legend below exergual line and retrograde. Ref: SNG France 1337 (same obverse die).

image.jpeg.95e7ee35dbeeb9355bb3affb8ba2db56.jpeg

• Like 11

My only Quintillus, which is actually a 3/4 Quintillus 😄 

4ade9f01764144f4b8d31c4f740250d6.jpg

Quintillus, Antoninianus - Mediolanum mint, AD 270
IMP QUINTILL[VS AVG], radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
[M]ARTI PACI, Mars standing left, holding olive branch and spear
2.8 gr
Ref : RCV # 11447,

Q

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Like 11