Roman Coins in Reverse - a Chronological Gallery

CPK

Macrinus with Tyche on reverse 

d42ec60c45da482e88cfb0e836c995ec.jpg

Macrinus, Bronze - Nicopolis
AVT KM .... H MAKRINOC, Laureate and cuirassed bust of Macrinus right
V M AGRIPPA NIKOPOLITWNPROC IC TR, Tyche standing left, holding cornucopia and rudder
14.26 gr
Ref : ANMG #1710

Q

• Like 9
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

I do not have Macrinus or Diadumenian imperial coins but I have a coin from each of them with the same type of reverse (plus a Macrinus from Antioch, but I don't think it has to be posted in a reverse topic...). What I find interesting is that the cities are very different. 

image.png.63b733ada8fd2d3924869097bf0257ba.png

27 mm, 13,60 g.
Syria, Laodicea ad Mare. Macrinus 217-218. Ӕ.
IMP C M OP S-EVE MACRINO-S AVG, laureate head of Macrinus right / ROMAE above, FEL in exergue, she-wolf standing right, head turned to look back at the suckling twins, Romulus and Remus.
Cf. SNG Hunterian 3218 (obv. legend); SNG Righetti 2121; SNG Copenhagen 369; BMC 98.

image.png.084541e5da9f1d9ff8b7a0ee338ae99f.png

24 mm, 9,44 g.
Thrace, Deultum. Diadumenian 218 AD. Ӕ.
M OPEL ANTONINVS DIADV C, bare-headed, draped and cuirassed bust right / COL FL PAC DEVLT, she-wolf standing right, suckling twins, Γ in exergue.
Varbanov 2217-8 var. (obv. legend); Corpus Nummorum Cf Online 11917; Jurukova 214-6.

• Like 10

Lately I have not been satisfied with the appearance of my coin pics with a black background.  Details seem to be harder to see against the black.  I am experimenting with a white light-table mounting, but the first images seem to default to a blue background.   I would like your input: do you prefer the pics the way I have been doing them, or do you prefer a lighter/white background?  For Macrinus and his son, I have gone light.  Please let me know which you prefer? 

Macrinus   217-218

Born of humble parentage, M. Opelius Macrinus rose to become prefect of the Praetorian guards under Caracalla.  At the behest of many, on the 8th of April in 217 he ordered the assassination of Caracalla, and three days later was hailed by his soldiers to be the new emperor, with his 9 year old son, Diadumenion, as Caesar.  This was upheld by the Senate a few days later.  But his prowess as a military leader and peace negotiater was sorely tested by the Parthians, and he quickly fell out of favor.  No small part of that was due to the efforts of the sister of Julia Domna, Julia Maesa acting on behalf of her grandson, which resulted in a revolt by the Syrian army.  Macrinus was not able to quell the tide of antipathy, and fled to Chalcedon where he perished after a reign of 14 moths.

Macrin-den01ab.jpg.9d3812373a069b4010cbb0199e803aeb.jpg

218-218          BMCRE  12    denarius of  Rome       

Macrinus laureate and cuirassed, to r. (seen from front)

IMP C M OPEL SEV MACRINVS AVG

Fides stg L between two standards, holding one more in each hand

FIDES MILITVM   

Macrin-ant01b.jpg.6af862a37f89c9c40d8b7db26a1794dc.jpg

218-218        BMCRE  19         antoninianvs of  Rome       

Macrinus radiate, draped and cuirassed, to r.   (seen  half from back)

Jupiter, naked, standing half left, holding thunderbolt in R and scepter in L

IOVI CONSERVATORI

Diadumenian 

Diadumn-den01ab.jpg.4f2b1c37d46f0b3782b9d40666e6d759.jpg

218        BMCRE  90         denarius  of  Rome       

Bare headed, draped bust to r.

M OPEL ANT DIADUMENIAN CAES

Diadumenian in military dress, standing front, head r, holding standard vertical in R hand, scepter in L; behind: two stadards

PRINC  IVVENTVTIS

Diadumn-den02b.jpg.ff6956d65b210e11575621d497060582.jpg

218        BMCRE  92         denarius  of  Rome       

Bare headed, draped, cuirassed bust to r.

Spes draped adv L, holding flower up in R hand; gathering folds of her skirt in L

SPES  PUBLICA

Edited by lrbguy
cleanup
  • Like 8
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

• Benefactor
3 hours ago, lrbguy said:

Lately I have not been satisfied with the appearance of my coin pics with a black background.  Details seem to be harder to see against the black.  I am experimenting with a white light-table mounting, but the first images seem to default to a blue background.   I would like your input: do you prefer the pics the way I have been doing them, or do you prefer a lighter/white background?  For Macrinus and his son, I have gone light.  Please let me know which you prefer? 

Macrinus   217-218

Born of humble parentage, M. Opelius Macrinus rose to become prefect of the Praetorian guards under Caracalla.  At the behest of many, on the 8th of April in 217 he ordered the assassination of Caracalla, and three days later was hailed by his soldiers to be the new emperor, with his 9 year old son, Diadumenion, as Caesar.  This was upheld by the Senate a few days later.  But his prowess as a military leader and peace negotiater was sorely tested by the Parthians, and he quickly fell out of favor.  No small part of that was due to the efforts of the sister of Julia Domna, Julia Maesa acting on behalf of her grandson, which resulted in a revolt by the Syrian army.  Macrinus was not able to quell the tide of antipathy, and fled to Chalcedon where he perished after a reign of 14 moths.

Macrin-den01ab.jpg.9d3812373a069b4010cbb0199e803aeb.jpg

218-218          BMCRE  12    denarius of  Rome       

Macrinus laureate and cuirassed, to r. (seen from front)

Fides stg L between two standards, holding one more in each hand

FIDES MILITVM   

Macrin-ant01b.jpg.6af862a37f89c9c40d8b7db26a1794dc.jpg

218-218        BMCRE  19         antoninianvs of  Rome       

Macrinus radiate, draped and cuirassed, to r.   (seen  half from back)

Jupiter, naked, standing half left, holding thunderbolt in R and scepter in L

IOVI CONSERVATORI

Diadumenian 

Diadumn-den01ab.jpg.4f2b1c37d46f0b3782b9d40666e6d759.jpg

218        BMCRE  90         denarius  of  Rome       

Bare headed, draped bust to r.

Diadumenian in military dress, standing front, head r, holding standard vertical in R hand, scepter in L; behind: two stadards

PRINC  IVVENTVTIS

Diadumn-den02b.jpg.ff6956d65b210e11575621d497060582.jpg

218        BMCRE  92         denarius  of  Rome       

Bare headed, draped, cuirassed bust to r.

Spes draped adv L, holding flower up in R hand; gathering folds of her skirt in L

SPES  PUBLICA

Nice coins! Usually I'm fine with a black background to silver coins, but in this case I think I like your light background better.

• Thanks 1

• Benefactor

One of my favorite Provincial reverses is the first Macrinus coin below, although admittedly some might think it overly "busy."

Macrinus Æ26, Nicopolis ad Istrum, Moesia Inferior, AD 217-218. Under Marcus Claudius Agrippa, consular legate. Obv. Laureate and cuirassed bust right, seen from front,  with aegis on left shoulder (snake protruding, representing Medusa’s hair) and head of Medusa on breastplate of cuirass, AV K OΠΠEΛ CEV - H MAKΡINOC / Rev. the emperor driving triumphal quadriga (decorated with image of Victory) to right, holding reins and transverse sceptre in left hand, raising right hand in salute; Virtus or soldier preceding, stepping right before the horses with head reverted to left and holding vexillum over shoulder; above, trophy of arms between two seated captives; VΠ AΓΡIΠΠA NIKOΠOΛ around from 8:00; in exergue in two lines, ITΩN ΠΡ OC | ICTΡΩ. 10.38g, 26mm, 6h. Pick, AMNG I/I 1712 (at p. 440) & Pl. XIX nr. 16 [rev. die match] [Pick, Behrendt, Die antiken Münzen von Dacien und Moesien, Die antiken Münzen Nord-Griechenlands Vol. I/I (Berlin, 1898) (6 specimens)]; Corpus Nummorum Online 26655 [see https://www.corpus-nummorum.eu/CN_26655]; Varbanov I 3405 (var. obv. legend) [Ivan Varbanov, Greek Imperial Coins And Their Values, Volume I: Dacia, Moesia Superior & Moesia Inferior (English Edition) (Bourgas, Bulgaria, 2005)];   Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov 8.23.34.2 [Hristova, H., H.-J. Hoeft, & G. Jekov, The Coins of Moesia Inferior 1st - 3rd c. AD: Nicopolis ad Istrum (Blagoevgrad, 2015)]. “Near Extremely Fine; beautiful olive green patina. Very Rare.” [39 examples on ACSearch, inclusive of duplicates.] Purchased from Harlan J. Berk, Ltd., 220th Buy or Bid Sale, June 2022, Lot 334; ex Roma Numismatics Ltd., Auction XX, 29 Oct. 2020, Lot 384 (acquired from Leu Numismatik AG); ex Helios Numismatik, Auction 8, 13 October 2012, lot 337 (ex European collection, formed before 2005). [Video of coin at https://www.hjbltd.com/#!/inventory/item-detail/ancient-coins/100313?fromBbs=220th Buy Or Bid Sale.]

image.jpeg.509c6459b57b6eeeef59111928a1c0c1.jpeg

Macrinus AR Denarius 217 AD, Obv. Laureate head right, IMP C M OPEL MACRINVS AVG   / Rev. Securitas standing, facing, leaning on a column, head left, holding a scepter, PONTIF MAX TR P COS PP. RIC IV-2 24, RSC III 62, Sear RCV II 7347. 19 mm., 1.58 g.

image.jpeg.55cf9fb38821ff4f0d5b2f9c361863e3.jpeg

Macrinus Augustus and Diadumenian Caesar, AE Pentassarion [5 Assaria], 217-218 AD, Marcianopolis Mint, Moesia Inferior [now Devnya, Bulgaria] (Pontianus, consular legate). Obv. Confronted heads of Macrinus, laureate, right, and Diadumenian, bareheaded, left, [AVT K OΠE]Λ CEV MAKPEINOC K M OΠEΛ ANTΩNEINOC [bracketed portion off flan][ = Imperator, Caesar, Opellius Augustus Macrinus, Caesar Marcus Opellius Antoninus ] / Rev. Hermes standing facing, head left, holding purse in extended right hand and caduceus in left hand; chlamys hanging over left arm; E [mark of value for “5”] in right field, VΠ Macrinus ΠONTIANOV MAP-KIANOΠOΛEITΩN (ΩN ligate) [ = Consular Legate Pontianus, (coin) of the people of Markianopolis].  AMNG I/I 740 [Pick, Behrendt, Die antiken Münzen von Dacien und Moesien, Die antiken Münzen Nord-Griechenlands Vol. I/I (Berlin, 1898) at pp. 240-241]; BMC 3 Thrace 35 [R.S. Poole, ed. A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Vol. 3, The Tauric Chersonese, Sarmatia, Dacia, Moesia, Thrace, etc. (London, 1877) at p. 32]; Hristova & Jekov 6.24.10.3 [Nina Hristova & Gospodin Jekov, The Local Coinage of the Roman Empire - Moesia Inferior, I - III c. A.D., MARCIANOPOLIS (Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria 2006)]; Varbanov (Eng.) Vol. I, 1192 var. (E to left) [Ivan Varbanov, Greek Imperial Coins And Their Values, Volume I: Dacia, Moesia Superior & Moesia Inferior (English Edition) (Bourgas, Bulgaria, 2005)]; Diadumenian.com /marcianopolis5.html, No. Mar5.33d.  25 mm, 12.89 g. Purchased from Kirk Davis, Cat # 75, Fall 2020, Lot 62; ex: Dr. Paul Rynearson (ca. 2003). (Coin is double die match to Lot 696, CNG Triton XII Auction, Jan. 5, 2009.)

image.jpeg.ac0cd20ae1e6b0562bdc8abb3c0def50.jpeg

Diadumenian Caesar, AE Tetrassarion (4 Assaria), 217-218 AD, Nicopolis ad Istrum [Nikyup, Bulgaria] Mint, Moesia Inferior, Statius Longinus, Consular Legate. Obv. Bareheaded bust of Diadumenian right, draped and armored, seen from behind, M OPEL DIADOV-MENIANOC K (OV ligate) [ = Marcus Opellius Diadumenianus, Caesar] / Rev. Artemis, wearing short chiton, walking right, holding bow in left hand and drawing arrow from quiver in right hand, hound jumping behind her left foot, VΠ CTA ΛONΓINOV NIKOΠOΛITΩN ΠPOC I / CTPΩ in exergue [ =  Consular legate Longinus, (Governor) of the residents of Nikopolis on the (river) Istros].  AMNG I/I 1843 [Pick, Behrendt, Die antiken Münzen von Dacien und Moesien, Die antiken Münzen Nord-Griechenlands Vol. I/I  (Berlin, 1898) at p. 467]; Varbanov I 3743 [Varbanov, Ivan, Greek Imperial Coins And Their Values, Volume I: Dacia, Moesia Superior & Moesia Inferior (English Edition) (Bourgas, Bulgaria, 2005) at p. 308]; Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov 8.25.13.3 [Hristova, H., H.-J. Hoeft, & G. Jekov. The Coins of Moesia Inferior 1st - 3rd c. AD: Nicopolis ad Istrum (Blagoevgrad, 2015)].

image.jpeg.b3ee147a735796f2b3c833fb5252e0ab.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Yes 1
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 5

Just now, DonnaML said:

One of my favorite Provincial reverses is the first Macrinus coin below, although admittedly some might think it overly "busy."

Macrinus Æ26, Nicopolis ad Istrum, Moesia Inferior, AD 217-218. Under Marcus Claudius Agrippa, consular legate. Obv. Laureate and cuirassed bust right, seen from front,  with aegis on left shoulder (snake protruding, representing Medusa’s hair) and head of Medusa on breastplate of cuirass, AV K OΠΠEΛ CEV - H MAKΡINOC / Rev. the emperor driving triumphal quadriga (decorated with image of Victory) to right, holding reins and transverse sceptre in left hand, raising right hand in salute; Virtus or soldier preceding, stepping right before the horses with head reverted to left and holding vexillum over shoulder; above, trophy of arms between two seated captives; VΠ AΓΡIΠΠA NIKOΠOΛ around from 8:00; in exergue in two lines, ITΩN ΠΡ OC | ICTΡΩ. 10.38g, 26mm, 6h. Pick, AMNG I/I 1712 (at p. 440) & Pl. XIX nr. 16 [rev. die match] [Pick, Behrendt, Die antiken Münzen von Dacien und Moesien, Die antiken Münzen Nord-Griechenlands Vol. I/I (Berlin, 1898) (6 specimens)]; Corpus Nummorum Online 26655 [see https://www.corpus-nummorum.eu/CN_26655]; Varbanov I 3405 (var. obv. legend) [Ivan Varbanov, Greek Imperial Coins And Their Values, Volume I: Dacia, Moesia Superior & Moesia Inferior (English Edition) (Bourgas, Bulgaria, 2005)];   Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov 8.23.34.2 [Hristova, H., H.-J. Hoeft, & G. Jekov, The Coins of Moesia Inferior 1st - 3rd c. AD: Nicopolis ad Istrum (Blagoevgrad, 2015)]. “Near Extremely Fine; beautiful olive green patina. Very Rare.” [39 examples on ACSearch, inclusive of duplicates.] Purchased from Harlan J. Berk, Ltd., 220th Buy or Bid Sale, June 2022, Lot 334; ex Roma Numismatics Ltd., Auction XX, 29 Oct. 2020, Lot 384 (acquired from Leu Numismatik AG); ex Helios Numismatik, Auction 8, 13 October 2012, lot 337 (ex European collection, formed before 2005). [Video of coin at https://www.hjbltd.com/#!/inventory/item-detail/ancient-coins/100313?fromBbs=220th Buy Or Bid Sale.]

Macrinus AR Denarius 217 AD, Obv. Laureate head right, IMP C M OPEL MACRINVS AVG   / Rev. Securitas standing, facing, leaning on a column, head left, holding a scepter, PONTIF MAX TR P COS PP. RIC IV-2 24, RSC III 62, Sear RCV II 7347. 19 mm., 1.58 g.

image.jpeg.55cf9fb38821ff4f0d5b2f9c361863e3.jpeg

Macrinus Augustus and Diadumenian Caesar, AE Pentassarion [5 Assaria], 217-218 AD, Marcianopolis Mint, Moesia Inferior [now Devnya, Bulgaria] (Pontianus, consular legate). Obv. Confronted heads of Macrinus, laureate, right, and Diadumenian, bareheaded, left, [AVT K OΠE]Λ CEV MAKPEINOC K M OΠEΛ ANTΩNEINOC [bracketed portion off flan][ = Imperator, Caesar, Opellius Augustus Macrinus, Caesar Marcus Opellius Antoninus ] / Rev. Hermes standing facing, head left, holding purse in extended right hand and caduceus in left hand; chlamys hanging over left arm; E [mark of value for “5”] in right field, VΠ Macrinus ΠONTIANOV MAP-KIANOΠOΛEITΩN (ΩN ligate) [ = Consular Legate Pontianus, (coin) of the people of Markianopolis].  AMNG I/I 740 [Pick, Behrendt, Die antiken Münzen von Dacien und Moesien, Die antiken Münzen Nord-Griechenlands Vol. I/I (Berlin, 1898) at pp. 240-241]; BMC 3 Thrace 35 [R.S. Poole, ed. A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Vol. 3, The Tauric Chersonese, Sarmatia, Dacia, Moesia, Thrace, etc. (London, 1877) at p. 32]; Hristova & Jekov 6.24.10.3 [Nina Hristova & Gospodin Jekov, The Local Coinage of the Roman Empire - Moesia Inferior, I - III c. A.D., MARCIANOPOLIS (Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria 2006)]; Varbanov (Eng.) Vol. I, 1192 var. (E to left) [Ivan Varbanov, Greek Imperial Coins And Their Values, Volume I: Dacia, Moesia Superior & Moesia Inferior (English Edition) (Bourgas, Bulgaria, 2005)]; Diadumenian.com /marcianopolis5.html, No. Mar5.33d.  25 mm, 12.89 g. Purchased from Kirk Davis, Cat # 75, Fall 2020, Lot 62; ex: Dr. Paul Rynearson (ca. 2003). (Coin is double die match to Lot 696, CNG Triton XII Auction, Jan. 5, 2009.)

image.jpeg.ac0cd20ae1e6b0562bdc8abb3c0def50.jpeg

Diadumenian Caesar, AE Tetrassarion (4 Assaria), 217-218 AD, Nicopolis ad Istrum [Nikyup, Bulgaria] Mint, Moesia Inferior, Statius Longinus, Consular Legate. Obv. Bareheaded bust of Diadumenian right, draped and armored, seen from behind, M OPEL DIADOV-MENIANOC K (OV ligate) [ = Marcus Opellius Diadumenianus, Caesar] / Rev. Artemis, wearing short chiton, walking right, holding bow in left hand and drawing arrow from quiver in right hand, hound jumping behind her left foot, VΠ CTA ΛONΓINOV NIKOΠOΛITΩN ΠPOC I / CTPΩ in exergue [ =  Consular legate Longinus, (Governor) of the residents of Nikopolis on the (river) Istros].  AMNG I/I 1843 [Pick, Behrendt, Die antiken Münzen von Dacien und Moesien, Die antiken Münzen Nord-Griechenlands Vol. I/I  (Berlin, 1898) at p. 467]; Varbanov I 3743 [Varbanov, Ivan, Greek Imperial Coins And Their Values, Volume I: Dacia, Moesia Superior & Moesia Inferior (English Edition) (Bourgas, Bulgaria, 2005) at p. 308]; Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov 8.25.13.3 [Hristova, H., H.-J. Hoeft, & G. Jekov. The Coins of Moesia Inferior 1st - 3rd c. AD: Nicopolis ad Istrum (Blagoevgrad, 2015)].

image.jpeg.b3ee147a735796f2b3c833fb5252e0ab.jpeg

That Pentassarion from Moesia Inferior is outstanding!

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2023 at 8:56 PM, DonnaML said:

This is indeed a most impressive example of this coin. I have a rather heavily patinated version of it, and seeing your version helped me get a handle on lots of details that were not originally clear:

Macrin-AE26-Nico4.jpg.906a0dbc3fce891012fa131050428c0e.jpg

So thanks for showing it!  Now you know why I don't show my Roman Provincials very often. 

OTOH here's another for Diaduminian:

Diadum-AE26-Nico.jpg.60168d082c6cb4e9e3754e84e88826ae.jpg

Still working on the new shooting arrangement for lighter backgrounds.

• Like 14

I guess it's time for one of the more "outgoing" emperors,  the boy-king Elagabalus. Without going into any of his many exploits , here is a sample of some of his Antoniniani.  Whatever he might or might not have done, I must admit that his coins are pretty to look at...

1. Elagabalus Antoninianus with Felicitas Temporum reverse...

3sGKT2jxtM2858oEpG94oi7Dz6W59L.jpg.0840675f2b7bf580c465b6b2f5241d20.jpg

2. FIDES EXERCITVS reverse with Fides seated between two standards...

tk3Xj7DexT2YCfN4oN8ngwE5a6bP9d.jpg.6767f08218ffc4f6a98f4d94a3148f1e.jpg

3. SALVS ANTONINI reverse...

iQ92Y4b8WeS79TyfBNx5cM8o6ZXjGp.jpg.3f9cd9c2aa652792ccbf26e326bdf1f7.jpg

4. VICTOR(IA) ANTONINI with Victory flying , holding wreath...

pZ6YJ7Cri83FX9Xya54KH8zB5WEwm2.jpg.33789e92d0238313969bec95a9061154.jpg

combined68290.jpg.43051f4f12ad9b68c302329258637b63.jpg

• Like 11
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

Elagabalustet.October22019.jpg.ddb1077c9efbadc51212ffee8f006a4d.jpg

SELEUCIS & PIERIA, Elagabalus, AD 218-222 (struck AD 219), "Emesan Issues". Billon Tetradrachm: 13.46 gm, 25 mm, 6 h. Obverse: Laureate, draped, & cuirassed bust of Elagabalus seen from the front. Reverse: Eagle standing with spread wings with wreath in beak; Greek letters "delta & epsilon" on either side of eagle's head (4 Eparches); 8 pointed star between legs. McAlee 762; Prieur 251 & 264.

From the Michel Prieur Collection, Ex CNG 67, lot 1132, September 22, 2004.

Normally I avoid coins with odd shaped planchets, but the portrait was so finely engraved on this coin I bid on it ☺️. I ended up winning the coin at CNG 453. Elagabalus appears to be 14 or 15 years old on this coin. What I didn't expect was the controversy & ambiguity where this coin was minted. Was this coin minted at Antioch, Emesa, or Laodicea 🤔. All the tetradrachms with the eagle reverse struck at the Laodicea mint since the reign of Septimius Severus, have an 8 pointed star between the eagle's legs. Prieur writes; "These coins may be from Emesa." McAlee believes they were minted at Antioch, but illustrates bronze coins from Laodicea that are very similar to the tetradrachms. McAlee quotes the distinguished numismatist Kevin Butcher; "Without an ethnic the attribution of these coins may always remain uncertain, but Laodicea seems to be at least as eligible as Antioch, given the present state of knowledge." The silver content of the tetradrachms under Macrinus fell to 29.22%, & under Elagabalus to 22.19% for his later issues. The early issues of Elagabalus depicting him with a draped bust, like my example, were made with a silver content of 32.31 %, but the last issues of much cruder style had a silver content of only 19.40%. I believe the early issues with the higher silver content were minted at Emesa, the city of his birth.

• Like 11

The most representative reverse for an Elagabalus in my collection is a reverse ... showing Elagabalus himself. 

image.png.bc8bcf29496dd472e4b98929529f9250.png

19 mm, 3,34 g.
Elagabalus 218-222. AR denarius. Rome. 220-222.
IMP ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate and draped bust of Elagabalus to right, wearing 'horn' over forehead / SVMMVS SACERDOS AVG, Elagabalus standing front, head to left, holding patera over lighted altar in his right hand and club in his left; in field to left, star.
BMC 231; RSC 276a; RIC 146.

Mother (not the most interesting reverse)

image.png.7e39866560f37d8cde89946c8f1c2cd2.png

17 mm 2,79 g.
Julia Soaemias 218-222. AR denarius. Rome.
IVLIA SOAEMIAS AVG, bust of Julia Soaemias, hair waved and turned up low at the back, draped, right / VENVS CAELESTIS, Venus, diademed, draped, standing left, holding apple in extended right hand and sceptre in left hand; in field, star.
RIC IV Elagabalus 241.

2 coins from the grandmother. Both had powerful strikes and fresh dies BUT these coins have a weird environmental damage that I cannot fully explain. Too bad. Most likely they originated from the same collection - perhaps some awful quality albums. I bought them from different auctions. They cannnot be cleaned - the surfaces are altered profoundly. 

image.png.22594ef779b54f5bfab4757f9ec5f58a.png

19 mm, 2,31 g.
Julia Maesa, Augusta 218-224. AR denarius. Rome. 218-222.
IVLIA MAESA AVG, bust of Julia Maesa, hair waved and turned up low at the back, draped, right / FECVNDITAS AVG, Fecunditas, draped, standing left, extending her right hand over a child and holding cornucopiae in left hand.

image.png.b6ee34878f649d7b2f6a9d3381b962ce.png

19 mm, 2,72 g.
Julia Maesa, Augusta 218-224. AR denarius. Rome. 218-222.
IVLIA MAESA AVG, bust of Julia Maesa, hair waved and turned up low at the back, draped, right / PVDICITIA, Pudicitia, draped, seated left, drawing veil over face with right hand and holding sceptre in left hand.
RIC IV Elagabalus 268; RSC 36.

I have only the first wife - Julia Paula. Again with an unspectacular reverse, but very ironic, since we know how well the marriage turned out to be. 

image.png.49db5f52df69d8c1cad5ab178c1a02ee.png

17 mm, 1,93 g.
Julia Paula. Augusta 219-220 AD. AR denarius. Rome.
IVLIA PAVLA AVG, bust of Julia Paula, hair waved and fastened in plait, draped, right / CONCORDIA, Concordia, draped, seated left, holding patera in extended right hand; in field, star.
RIC IV Elagabalus 211; BMCRE 172 (Elagabalus); RSC 6a.

• Like 9
  • Yes 1

Sorry to have been MIA in this thread for a while.  There are a number of reasons, the most interesting of which is this savage beast in our neighbourhood:

unnamed_p3714090.jpg.d603082d247a2377492a77f6e357f5eb.jpg

We're still on evacuation alert but thankfully haven't been evacuated, and now the part of the fire near us is somewhat under control; as long as we don't get high winds again we should be fine. About 200 houses have been lost in other areas, though, including that of a friend of mine. His house was burnt to the ground, there's literally nothing left of it. 😢

Apparently there are still people who don't take climate change seriously.  Not many around here any more, let me tell you.

But enough of that.  I'm picking a good spot to drop back into the thread, as some of my very best reverses are on Elagabalus coins!

First, arguably the most representative Imperial reverse type for him, from the Antioch mint:

image.jpeg.5890113d0fa0ab34947a088196f2e62c.jpeg

This of course shows the Stone of Emesa, the earthly incarnation of the god Elagabal, on its journey to Rome at the beginning of Elagabalus's reign. The stone is in a quadriga, with an eagle on its front. This coin was a gift from a group of my amazing coin friends. Please see @TIF's fabulous post on the type as well.

My other favourite Elagabalus reverse is this Triptolemos driving his serpent biga:

image.jpeg.90c922120f9d31d53f9026316edcc30e.jpeg

See the grain in the fold of his cloak, and scattering from his upraised hand; also the tiny serpents engraved on the front of the chariot. This is one of my favourite coins, period! And a fine illustration of why Roman collectors are missing out when we restrict ourselves to imperial types, as I once did. (Mint: Nicopolis in Moesia Inferior.)

Some others I like...

image.jpeg.e8ced2cb16da257b00fe07e8fc325f04.jpeg

^ This is an ex-Dattari tetradrachm from Elagabalus's very first issue at Alexandria. Only a handful are known, but the inscription appears to celebrate Elagabalus's victory over Macrinus... so while the Nike type isn't unusual this one's historically pretty cool.

Here's another provincial from Nicopolis:

image.jpeg.dc31233dd98d1823fc8e8f49986ea835.jpeg

I like this early depiction of a camp gate, from long before the type became popular on Imperial coinage in Constantinian times.

Last, a general type we've seen already and will doubtless see more of, because it's a great reverse to have for Elagabalus:

image.jpeg.f178e8f43f0825d38fcb8e64c403e10e.jpeg

I think the depiction is particularly nice on this one, and it has a point of extra interest: this is a rare instance where the star appears behind the emperor. While star position didn't matter much for other types, it apparently did matter a lot for this one, as it was quickly moved to the front. There are even a few star-in-front coins where the remains of the errant star can still be seen, erased on the die.

• Like 10
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 5

There are a lot of nice big provincial coins of Elagabal, e.g. this from Nikopolis.

normal_Elagabalus_2.jpg.7ec72be70d1ca1dc8fd662d1c931d7ce.jpg

Elagabalus
Moesia Inferior, Nikopolis
Obv.: ΑVΤ Κ Μ ΑΥΡ ΑΝΤΩΝΕΙΝΟC, Laureate, draped bust right
Rev.: ΥΠ ΝΟΒΙΟΥ ΡΟΥΦΟΥ ΝΙΚΟΠΟΛΙΤΩΝ
ΠΡΟCΙC
TP ON
Tetrastyle temple, statue of Zeus or Serapis
AE, 13.82g, 26.7mm
Ref.: Hristova / Jekov No. 8.26.46.13

the famous horn on obverse, and the emperor sacrificing

normal_Elagabal_07.jpg.d4520365d953f327079b57566dd846aa.jpg

Elagabalus
Denar, Rome
Obv.: IMP ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate, draped and horned bust right
Rev.: SACERD DEI SOLIS ELAGAB, Elagabal sacrificing from patera over lit altar right, holding club, star in field
Ag, 19 mm, 3.2g
Ref.: RIC IV 131, RSC III 246, BMCRE V 225

IMHO this a impressive Zeus.  

normal_Elagabal_08.jpg.ed0087cd890d7b209f2a694853d2dc1f.jpg

Elagabalus
Alexandria
Billon-Tetradrachm
Obv.: MA KAICAP MA AYP ANTωNINOC EYCEB, laureate head right
Rev.: Bust of Zeus left, L - Γ (date), LΓ= year 3 = AD 219/220
Billon, 12.69g, 23mm
Ref.: Dattari 4145

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 13

Julia Cornelia Paula was a distinguished Roman noblewoman who became Empress of Rome as the first wife of Elagabalus.

A denar with a classical (aka boring) reverse. Venus

normal_Julia_Paula_2.jpg.4680785c7f49948b6d470a5135be26f3.jpg

Julia Paula (219-220)
AR Denar, Rome
Obv.: IVLIA PAVLA AVG, Draped bust right.
Rev.: VENVS GE ETRIX (N missing) , Venus seated left with apple and sceptre.
Ag, 3.09g, 18.4mm
Ref.: RIC 222

A much more interessting reverse on this one from Alexandria; Serapis :

normal_Julia_Paula_1.jpg.43c9f191f0efbf446f72f4c350373fc1.jpg

Julia Paula
Tetradrachm, Egypt, Alexandria
Obv.: IOYΛIA ΠAYΛA CEB, bust right
Rev.: L - Δ, bust of Serapis right, year 4 (=220/221)
Billon, 12.85g, 23.3mm
Ref.: Kampmann/Ganschow 57.15, Geissen 2366

• Like 12

Julia Soaemias Bassiana (180 – March 11, 222) was the mother of Elagabalus.

Venus Caelestis is a typical reverse for Julia Soaemias

normal_Julia_Soaemias_01.jpg.51baf846cd2adbce6e4233f480a9bc4a.jpg

Julia Soaemias
AR Denar
Obv.: IVLIA SOAEMIAS AVG, draped bust right;
Rev.: VENVS CAELESTIS, Venus seated left, holding apple and scepter, at her feet a child
Ag, 3.56g, 19.2mm
Ref.: RIC IVb, p.48, 243

normal_JULIA_SOAEMIAS_R183_fac.jpg.163bbd95617286e28369dd6dce258a76.jpg

Julia Soaemias
AR Denar
Obv.: IVLIA SOAEMIAS AVG, draped bust right;
Rev.: VENVS CAELESTIS, Venus standing left, holding apple and scepter, star
Ag, 2.5g
Ref.: RIC IVb, p.48, 241

• Like 11

Hope you stay safe @Severus Alexander! Sorry for your friend - I can't imagine that kind of life-changing devastation.

Great coins everyone! Unfortunately my collection becomes pretty light after the Severan period so I'll be taking a back seat with this thread for a little while. 😞 But I'm enjoying all of your coins, especially all the provincial coins being posted!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Severus Alexander said:

Sorry to have been MIA in this thread for a while.  There are a number of reasons, the most interesting of which is this savage beast in our neighbourhood:

unnamed_p3714090.jpg.d603082d247a2377492a77f6e357f5eb.jpg

We're still on evacuation alert but thankfully haven't been evacuated, and now the part of the fire near us is somewhat under control; as long as we don't get high winds again we should be fine. About 200 houses have been lost in other areas, though, including that of a friend of mine. His house was burnt to the ground, there's literally nothing left of it. 😢

Apparently there are still people who don't take climate change seriously.  Not many around here any more, let me tell you.

But enough of that.  I'm picking a good spot to drop back into the thread, as some of my very best reverses are on Elagabalus coins!

First, arguably the most representative Imperial reverse type for him, from the Antioch mint:

image.jpeg.5890113d0fa0ab34947a088196f2e62c.jpeg

This of course shows the Stone of Emesa, the earthly incarnation of the god Elagabal, on its journey to Rome at the beginning of Elagabalus's reign. The stone is in a quadriga, with an eagle on its front. This coin was a gift from a group of my amazing coin friends. Please see @TIF's fabulous post on the type as well.

My other favourite Elagabalus reverse is this Triptolemos driving his serpent biga:

image.jpeg.90c922120f9d31d53f9026316edcc30e.jpeg

See the grain in the fold of his cloak, and scattering from his upraised hand; also the tiny serpents engraved on the front of the chariot. This is one of my favourite coins, period! And a fine illustration of why Roman collectors are missing out when we restrict ourselves to imperial types, as I once did. (Mint: Nicopolis in Moesia Inferior.)

Some others I like...

image.jpeg.e8ced2cb16da257b00fe07e8fc325f04.jpeg

^ This is an ex-Dattari tetradrachm from Elagabalus's very first issue at Alexandria. Only a handful are known, but the inscription appears to celebrate Elagabalus's victory over Macrinus... so while the Nike type isn't unusual this one's historically pretty cool.

Here's another provincial from Nicopolis:

image.jpeg.dc31233dd98d1823fc8e8f49986ea835.jpeg

I like this early depiction of a camp gate, from long before the type became popular on Imperial coinage in Constantinian times.

Last, a general type we've seen already and will doubtless see more of, because it's a great reverse to have for Elagabalus:

image.jpeg.f178e8f43f0825d38fcb8e64c403e10e.jpeg

I think the depiction is particularly nice on this one, and it has a point of extra interest: this is a rare instance where the star appears behind the emperor. While star position didn't matter much for other types, it apparently did matter a lot for this one, as it was quickly moved to the front. There are even a few star-in-front coins where the remains of the errant star can still be seen, erased on the die.

S.A. your coin from Nicopolis along with the coin Donna posted from Nicopolis are masterpieces of provincial coinage 🤩. Collectors need to pay more attention to Roman provincial coinage because too many treasures like these coins go unnoticed 😉.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1

Of the five women in the short life of Elagabalus, two were his elders and three his peers/spouses.  Given this distribution I have chosen to split the posts, and will deal with the three wives and four marriages after discussing him and his familial connections.  

Elagabalus   218-222

Born Varius Avitus Bassianus (of Julius Avitus and Julia Soemias) in Emesa, Syria, this child had nobility thrust upon him already at birth.  His mother was niece to Julia Domna, and the daughter of Domna's sister, Julia Maesa. Maesa held out great hopes/ambitions for her grandson, and sought to associate him more directly with the Severide line by pretending that he was the child of Soemias after a dalliance with Caracalla (also originally named Bassianus).  After Caracalla died in 217 Maesa arranged for his imperial name to be given to her grandson with the ambition that he should become emperor. In large measure due to her efforts to destabilize the reign of Macrinus, she achieved her ambition in 218.  His throne name was derived from the office he had been given earlier as priest of Heliogabalus, high god of Emesa.  But this child of privilege was ill prepared to take on the responsibility the imperial office would require, and by his antics so alienated the Roman people that his life would be taken from him after 4 years on the throne.

1-Elagab-ant1.jpg.f035f25a0f5c3c3ecfddcec18411f9c2.jpg

Elagabalus    218   AD    Rome
BMCRE  27    antoninianus

radiate bust draped to r.
IMP CAES M AUR ANTONINIVS AVG

Salus stg half right holds serpent across body, to feed it with cake in L hand.
SALVS ANTONINI AVG

2-Elagab-den1b.jpg.e462ede57ec9c620b81e841831e13d82.jpg

Elagabalus    218-219  
BMCRE 277     denarius  (Eastern mint only, Antioch, etc)

Laureate, draped (seen from rear side angle)
ANTONINVS PIVS FEL AVG

Galley going to L crew of 8, 8 oars protrude to waves,
above: FELICITAS    In exergue:  TEMP

3-Elegab-den04b.jpg.7470cc04759071aa40487c5610555acd.jpg

Elagabalus   219-220      Rome
BMCRE  166    denarius

Laureate, draped only (seen from rear side angle)
IMP ANTO  -  NINVS AVG

Felicitas facing, head L; holds caduceus in R hand, cornucopiae in L.
TEMPORVM  FELICITAS

4-Elegab-den02b.jpg.3220d5c6c9bec7a5662bcc9829ee4ebb.jpg

Elagabalus  220-222      Rome
BMCRE  225   denarius

Laureate, draped to r (horn on head at wreath)
IMP ANTONINVS - PIVS AVG

Elagabalus, veiled, draped; sacrificing out of patera in R hand holding horn in L hand.
r field: 6 point star
SACERD DEI SOLIS ELAGAB

The obverse horn appears on the "sacerdotal" issues in which Elagabalus is functioning as priest on the reverse. (see also the last coin shown by "Severus Alexander" above). In this case the figure on the reverse holds a horn in his right hand in the performance of his function. It may be that the obverse horn is part of a priestly headress.

5-Elegab-den05b.jpg.ba820b7d19cc4b0ed0c792c24fe9a3d3.jpg

Elagabalus    220-222       Rome
BMCRE  252    Denarius

Laureate bare bust to r
IMP ANTONINVS PIVS AVG

Victory winged, draped, adv to L, shields at feet, holding bough in both hands
star in r field
PM TRP IIII COS III PP

Julia Soaemias (mother)   218-222

The most frequently encountered reverse type for Soaemias is the VENVS CAELESTIS, so one may rejoice when another appears.

1-JulSoem-den01b.jpg.d10dfb6f8d5567adef8a35f9f4ea61bf.jpg

Julia Soaemias   220-222   Rome
BMCRE  43    Denarius

Julia head to R, draped and hair gathered in chignon
IVLIA SOAEMIAS AVGVSTA

Juno, veiled, stg front, facing r., holds scepter in R hand, and palladium in L.
IVNO R-E-GINA

JSoemias-den1b.jpg.c3d4a70f5136196f652d588142d5ca59.jpg

Julia Soaemias   220-222   Rome
BMCRE  45    Denarius

IVLIA SOAEMIAS AVG

Venus stg front, head to L, holds out apple in R hand, and scepter in L
star in field to right
VENVS CAE LESTIS

JulSoem-den02b.jpg.ecf661bf417ea9f10d4f3cdf329b51fc.jpg

Julia Soaemias  218-222     Rome
BMCRE  56

IVLIA SOAEMIAS AVG

Venus seated to L, scepter in L hand, holds "apple" in R hand above child at feet reaching up
VENVS CAE-L - ESTIS

In the BMC catalog, the single listing with "apple" parallels listings with "patera"

Julia Maesa (grandmother)   218-222

JMaesa-den3-sm.jpg.2abb2be221c645ddc7298cfc06cdd757.jpg

Julia Maesa   218-223   Rome
BMCRE 70      Denarius

Bust of Julia to r, long loosely wrapped hair (hint of chignon), draped and wearing stephane
IVLIA MAESA AVG

Pietas veiled draped standing to front, R hand extended to drop grains on lighted altar, L hand holds round open box
PIET-A SAVG

The image of Pietas on this coin is remarkable for its realism.  Compare to next.

JulMaesa-ant01b.jpg.dfa98dd005f3e4eadc11e215a5c784ec.jpg

BMCRE 70     Antoninianus

Bust of Julia to r, loosely wrapped hair with small chignon, draped and wearing stephane, rests on crescent
IVLIA MAESA AVG

Pietas veiled draped standing to front, R hand extended to drop grains on lighted altar, L hand holds open box
PIET A SAVG

This rendering of Maesa depicts a much younger visage than one often sees. 

JulMaesa-den01b.jpg.85d7cf06c1ef0389815e02b1cc5f1126.jpg

Julia Maesa   218-223  Eastern Mint
BMCRE 295 note    Denarius

Bust of Julia to r, wrapped hair with large chignon, draped and wearing stephane
IVLIA MAESA AVG

Juno stg half left, holds scepter in Left hand, and ears of corn for patera in R
IVNO    REG

The addition of the word REG is exceptional from the norm.

L993r60GBP.jpg.5752311f735a75d571848af5511adbcc.jpg

BMCRE  80      Denarius

Bust of Julia to r, tightly wrapped hair with high chignon, draped
IVLIA MAESA AVG

Felicitas stg front, head to L, holds patera in R hand over lighted altar, left hand holds tall cadeucus
star in right field
SAECVLI F E LICITAS

L1099-3082212l.jpg.243926ac2ceab52a1f7ea0af9bc189d1.jpg

BMCRE  82    Denarius

Bust of Julia to r, tightly wrapped hair with high chignon, draped
IVLIA MAESA AVG

Felicitas stg front, head to L, holds patera in R hand over lighted altar, left hand holds tall cadeucus
star high in left field
SAECVLI FE LICITAS

(next we will attend to issues for the Wives of Elagabalus)

Edited by lrbguy
fixed a typo
  • Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 3

• Benefactor

I find most of my Elagabalus reverses to be rather interesting.

Elagabalus AR Denarius, 218-219 AD, Antioch Mint. Obv. Laureate draped bust right, no beard, ANTONINVS PIVS FEL AVG/Rev. Two standards between two legionary eagles, CONCORDIA MILIT. RIC IV-2 187, RSC III 15, Sear  RCV II 7505 (ill.). 18 mm., 2.8 g.

image.jpeg.31a59c77b872d3c6d3d13946b8da558a.jpeg

Elagabalus, Billon Tetradrachm, Year 3 (219/220 AD), Alexandria, Egypt Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, Α ΚΑΙϹΑΡ ΜΑ ΑΥΡ - ΑΝΤѠΝΙΝΟϹ ƐΥϹƐΒ / Rev. Nike advancing right, holding wreath out with right hand and palm branch over left shoulder with left hand, L Γ [Year 3] before her. RPC [Roman Provincial Coinage] Online Vol. VI, 10053 (temporary) at https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/6/10053; Emmett 2939.3 (R2); Dattari (Savio) 4122; Milne 2776 at p. 69 (wreath-ties “d,” one turned forwards, the other backwards); Geissen (Köln) 2320; K&G 56.28. 23 mm., 12.40 g., 12 h. Ex CNG E-Auction 403, Lot 432, Aug 9, 2017 (see https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=34134);  ex Hermanubis Collection.

image.jpeg.112f543af581e8d147f437f852d27477.jpeg

This one happens to be my only coin with a reverse depicting Liberalitas:

Elagabalus AR Denarius, AD 219-220, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate & draped bust right, no beard, IMP ANTONINVS PIVS AVG / Rev. Liberalitas standing facing, head left, holding abacus (or coin holder) in outstretched right hand and cornucopiae in left, LIBERALITAS AVG II. 19 mm., 3.15 g., 12 h. RIC IV-2 Elagabalus 100, RSC III Elagabalus 81a. Purchased from London Ancient Coins, 2 Jan. 2023.

image.jpeg.8904f9f20bb93916f717bd8138718082.jpeg

Does this next one show Elagabalus as the very first Roman emperor to be portrayed wearing what looks like a pair of pants instead of a toga or robes or a military uniform?

Elagabalus AR Denarius, 221-222 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate & draped bust right, bearded, with horn (or bull phallus) extending above laurel wreath, IMP ANTONINVS PIVS AVG/ Rev. Elagabalus standing left, sacrificing from patera over lit tripod altar, holding branch, star in field left, SVMMVS SACERDOS AVG.  RIC IV-2 146, RSC III 276 (bearded), Sear RCV II 7549.  17.71 mm., 3.97 g.

image.jpeg.3a67492e3e4d792a8596f93f26e7d8bd.jpeg

My only Imperial of his first wife Julia Paula has the typical uninteresting Concordia reverse, but I like the reverse on this Provincial:

Julia Paula (first wife of Elagabalus), AE 21, 219-220 AD, Mysia, Parium [Parion in Greek]. Obv. Draped and diademed bust right, IVLIA P-AVLA AVG / Rev. Capricorn right, holding globe between hooves, cornucopia above, CGIHP [Colonia Gemella Ivlia Hadriana Pariana -- colony founded by Julius Caesar] below. RPC [Roman Provincial Coinage] Vol. VI, 3858 (temporary); RPC Online at https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/6/3858; Lindgren & Kovacs 289 [Lindgren, H.C. & Kovacs, F.L., Ancient Bronze Coins of Asia Minor and the Levant (San Mateo, CA 1985). 21 mm., 5.67 g., 10 h. (Purchased from VAuctions, Pars Coins, Sale 354, Lot 195, Nov. 16, 2020.)

image.jpeg.dd46199b0965abb9cb8e4d39051c6116.jpeg

This photo makes my only coin of Aquilia Severa look like an old-fashioned plaster cast. Which it's not.

Aquilia Severa (second wife of Elagabalus), AR Denarius 220-222 AD, Rome mint. Obv: Draped bust right, IVLIA AQVILIA SEVERA AVG / Rev: Concordia standing left, holding patera over lighted altar and double cornucopiae; star in lower right field; CONCORDIA. RIC IV-2 226 (Elagabalus); RSC III 2. 18 mm., 3.2 g. Rare.image.jpeg.f4eaf6075ba954ad4591dd67e6b6d634.jpeg

Nothing for Annia Faustina -- like most of us except for @Roman Collector -- and I won't bother posting my very ordinary Julia Soaemias reverse of Venus Caelestis.

This Julia Maesa, like Irbguy's, makes her look younger than usual, and is also interesting for the young child on the reverse. Usually, Fecunditas with child represents some actual royal child, so I wonder who this one could be.

Julia Maesa (grandmother of Elagabalus & Severus Alexander), AR Denarius, 218-22 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Draped bust right, IVLIA MAESA AVG / Rev. Fecunditas standing left holding cornucopiae, an unidentified small child at her feet, FECVNDI-TAS AVG.  RIC IV-2 249, RSC III 8 (ill.), Sear RCV II 7749. 20.08 mm., 2.58 g.

image.jpeg.fe15538ba7f07fb7df87c71798fbe670.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 2

Julia Maesa for Elagabal and Severus Alexander

normal_Julia_Maesa_02.jpg.74f055fe69b0a5af146e154a5b57b014.jpg

Julia Maesa
AR Denar
Obv.: IVLIA MAESA AVG, draped bust right.
Rev. IVNO REG, Iuno standing left, holding patera and sceptre; to left, peacock.
Ag, 3.59g, 18.2mm
Ref.: RIC IVb, 259 var (IVNO REG not REGI), RSC 23a, CRE 480 [R]

normal_Julia_Maesa_03.jpg.44d271bb955e1178f8f3684281d4981c.jpg

Julia Maesa
Alexandria
Billon-Tetradrachm
Obv.: IIOY MAICA CE MH CTPA, draped bust right
Rev.: LB=year 2=(218/219), Dikaiosyne standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae
Billon, 11.45g, 23mm
Ref.: Geißen 2351, Dattari 4218

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 1

So many great coins - @Severus Alexander and @Limes, I'm especially jealous of these Stone of Emesa reverses... 

image.jpeg.bfe6e685216bde5a4d39ac24fdb4c153.jpeg

Elagabalus, 218-222. Denarius (Silver, 20 mm, 2.76 g, 12 h), Rome, 220-222.
Obv: IMP ANTONINVS PIVS AVG Laureate and draped bust of Elagabalus to right, seen from behind.
Rev: LIBERTAS AVG Libertas standing front, head to left, holding pileus in her right hand and vindicta in her left; in field to right, star. BMC 220. Cohen 92. RIC 107. 

Ex Naumann E-Auction 16, 4 May 2014 and Leu Auction 24, 3 December 2022.

image.jpeg.565f1809d17fb77123a6e1c00b0e25dc.jpeg

Julia Maesa (grandmother), Julia Soaemias (mother), Julia Paula (1st wife, married 219 AD - Elagabalus divorced from her because of an alleged physical flaw), Aquilia Severa (2nd wife, married 220 AD - apparently physically flawless? But unfortunately a vestal virgin). 

The reverses are very unspectacular. I really only went for the portraits on these coins.

I don't have Annia Faustina, his 3rd wife whom he married in 221 AD. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Yes 1

Concerning the wives of Elegabalus - three women, four marriages.  Numismatically there is a lot of room for discovery in these coins.

Julia Paula

Julia Cornelia Paula was the daughter of Julius Paulus, a Roman Nobleman of Greek descent and a historically noted jurist active throughout the Severan Dynasty ultimately becoming a Praetorian Prefect in Rome. She was thus of both Patrician Roman and Greek descent, and as such was a scion of the established upper Roman aristocracy. In early 219, Julia Maesa, eldest sister of Roman Empress Julia Domna, arranged for Cornelia Paula to marry her grandson, the new emperor Elagabalus.

Their wedding was lavishly celebrated in Rome, and was accompanied by extravagant public spectacles. Cornelia Paula became Elagabalus' first wife and was immediately given the honorific title of Augusta (Empress) and the family name "Julia," making her one of three women bearing the title alongside Julia Maesa and the emperor's mother, Julia Soaemias.  But the marriage foundered within a year or so, and Elagabalus summarily divorced her late in AD 220 or early in 221 for another. Julia Paula retired from public life and seems to have survived the chaotic reign of her former husband with her virtue and reputation intact.

Despite the short period of issuance, coinage in her honor presents numerous challenges for the student of attribution by mint.  In particular is the problem of where the mints were that produced them. The items shown here will introduce the subject.  For convenience they are numbered.

1-JPaula-den01b.jpg.5a695b4ffce793f8e84fbedebe19119e.jpg

Julia Paula   219-220       Rome
BMCRE  171    Denarius

Bust of Julia to r, draped, tightly coiffed hair with four waves running front to back, low chignon or bun at back
IVLIA PAVLA AVG

Concordia seated L holds patera in R hand,
star high in L field
CONCORDIA

For comparison here is the same thing from an Eastern mint.

2-JPaula-den02b.jpg.698ec75e27a9597dae4d5aae820b8834.jpg

Julia Paula   219-220   Eastern mint (Antioch)
BMCRE 317     Denarius

Bust of Julia to r, draped, tightly coiffed hair with four ridges running side to side and row of bangs in front, queued up the back w/o chignon
IVLIA PAVLA AVG

Concordia seated L holds patera in R hand,
star high in L field
CONCORDIA

3-JPaula-den03b.jpg.a4cebd3125a9ef7138db6c4314774863.jpg

Julia Paula   219-220       Eastern mint (Antioch)
BMCRE  171    Denarius

Bust of Julia to r, draped, tightly coiffed hair with six ridges running side to side and row of small bangs in front, queued up the back w/o chignon
IVLIA PAVLA AVG

Concordia seated on curule chair L, holds patera in R hand, two cornucopiae in L
CONCORDI - A - AVGG

4-JPaula-den04b.jpg.5acb415ed063af58479017210cc97bb0.jpg

Julia Paula   219-220       Rome
BMCRE  171    Denarius

Bust of Julia to r, draped, tightly coiffed hair with three waves running front to back, bangs uncertain, low chignon or bun at back
IVLIA PAVLA AVG

Venus seated on throne to L, extends "apple" in R hand, holds scepter in L.
VENUS GE - NETRIX

5-JPaula-den05b.jpg.04edbca752d2344aa81190b7bf6daef2.jpg

Julia Paula   219-220       Eastern mint (Antioch)
BMCRE  319    Denarius

Bust of Julia to r, draped, tightly coiffed hair with six ridges front to back, row of bangs at front, queued up the back w/o chignon
IVLIA PAVLA AVG

Elegabalus standing at L facing R, Julia Paula veiled standing at R facing L, clasping right hands, Julia has L hand at side.
CONCORDIA

Ready for a challenge?     Here's a reverse you might like.

Julia Paula   219-220     Rome? or Eastern mint (Antioch)?
BMCRE ???     Denarius

6-JPaula-den07-sm.jpg.637cb4f5cbd68889f5035046ff793a49.jpg

Bust of Julia to r, draped, tightly coiffed hair with five ridges front to back and row of bangs in front, queued up the back w/o chignon
IVLIA PAVLA AVG

Victory stg facing, head to L holds up wreath in R hand, L hand holds branch
VICT - ORIA AVGG

Though bearing some features of a coin of the East, this coin is unlisted in any references. So what do you think?

Options include, FAKE.   Let's move on:

Aquilia Severa

One of Elagabalus' greatest offenses to Roman consciousness was his marriage in 220 to the Vestal virgin, Aquilia Severa, following his repudiation of his first wife, Julia Paula.  Having conceived the scandalous idea of a union with a Vestal Virgin, the young emperor abruptly divorced the bride he’d only recently married, Julia Paula, and informed the Senate that: a child begotten of the high priest of Elagabal and a priestess of Vesta could only be considered divine. Few in the Senate were likely moved by such an argument, but the emperor proceeded to marry the girl early in AD 221, causing widespread consternation and revulsion among the Roman populace.   Notwithstanding, Aquilia was, it seems, the one woman able to overcome his apparent distaste for the opposite sex, and he was reluctant to accede to the public demand. However, the true power behind the throne, i.e. the emperor's formidable grandmother Julia Maesa, saw the tide of public favor turning and forced her grandson to divorce Aquilia to marry a respectable matron, Annia Faustina, a descendant of Marcus Aurelius. This was done after only a few months of marriage.

The silver coins for Aquilia Severa date mainly to 220 A.D. with some coming later at intervals as well.  There is only one obverse inscription for her IVLIA AQUILIA SEVERA AVG. Hair is styled in waves running transversely downwards and turned up in queue and small bun at back. (But see * below) This obverse is backed by one of three reverse inscriptions on a total of four types, two of which are shown here in four coins.

1-L240-3189190l.jpg.10a330a56f5dd8ef18ecedb964657e88.jpg

Aquilia Severa  221   Rome
BMCRE  184    Denarius

Bust of Aquilia to r, draped, wrapped hair with low chignon (no bangs)
IVLIA AQUILIA SEVERA AVG

Concordia draped standing front with head L. holding a patera in her R. hand over a sacrificial flame, and double cornucopiae in left
a star in the right field
CONCORDIA

2-L631-137114.jpg.95ddd6a5b399eb1f27222d63a8338113.jpg

Aquilia Severa  221   Eastern mint (Antioch, etc)
BMCRE  335    Denarius

Bust of Aquilia to r, draped, wrapped hair with low chignon, bangs in front
IVLIA AQUILIA SEVERA AVG

Concordia draped standing front with head L. holding a patera in her R. hand over a sacrificial flame, and double cornucopiae in left
a star in the right field
CONCORDIA

3-AquilSev-den1-sm.jpg.87b85c10bf25d67595edfc1a48cb9c3e.jpg

Aquilia Severa  221   Eastern mint (Antioch, etc)
BMCRE  336   Denarius

IVLIA AQUILIA SEVERA AVG

a star high in the left field
CONCORDIA

*Both star position types for these coins exist for the mint at Rome and for the Eastern mint(s), most probably Antioch or possibly Emesa.  The use of bangs in the hair treatment is not found at Rome, and appears to be a characteristic of the Eastern mint(s) striking for her.

4-JAquiliaSev-den2.jpg.e756891641f55f0d9c5cb2e096fa0118.jpg

Aquilia Severa  221   Eastern mint only?
BMCRE  337A    Denarius

IVLIA AQUILIA SEVERA AVG

Elegabalus laureate, togate, standing front, head L, clasping R hands with Aquilia Severa  who stands wearing stephane, draped, front, head facing him,
star low in center between them
CONCORDIA

This type does not appear often.  In BMCRE there is an open question as to whether this reverse type appears at Rome. Mattingly literally poses the question in his notes on this coin.  If an example of this type can be found in which the effigy of the empress on the obverse does not show bangs in her hair, then I believe we will have a talking point for an answer.  

Coming up, wife #3 

Annia Faustina

Annia Aurelia Faustina was a Roman Empress who has been scarcely noticed by ancient and modern Roman historians. She was of noble descent, daughter and only child of the wealthy heiress Annia Faustina and the Roman Senator, consul Tiberius Claudius Severus Proculus.  She was born and raised on her mother's estate in Pisidia, one of a number in that area called the "Cyllanian Estates".  About 216, her father apparently made a political alliance with a Roman Senator of the gens "Pomponia" that ultimately resulted in her marrying Pomponius Bassus. Upon her marriage, they settled at her Pisidian estates, which were very large properties, established from the time of the dictator of the Roman Republic, Lucius Cornelius Sulla (c. 138-78 BC).  Unfortunately, by the year 221 she was widowed due to the demise of her husband, who had been executed for subversion and treason.

That same year powerful courtiers, led by the Emperor's grandmother, Julia Maesa, induced Elagabalus to end his highly controversial and politically damaging marriage to the Vestal Virgin Aquilia Severa.  He was advised instead to marry Annia Aurelia Faustina in order to forge an alliance with the powerful clan represented by her blood connections with the prior Nerva–Antonine dynasty. The senatorial Roman ruling class was more receptive of this imperial marriage than the previous one.

Annia became Empress of Rome and it seemed for a very brief time that the Nerva–Antonine dynasty rule had returned to Rome. Elagabalus gave her the title of Augusta. Supporters of Elagabalus had hoped that Annia, the mother of two small children would bear him a natural heir however, she bore him no children.  The Emperor had other ideas and set her aside.  Her marriage to Elagabalus now ended, Annia Faustina returned with her children to the Pisidian estate. She spent the final years of her life there.

AFaustina-tet1-sm.jpg.1e97e26db1266a903c9f91805b7ce21e.jpg

Tetradrachm of Alexandria

Potin Tetradrachm (24mm, 15.72 g, 12h).
Dated RegnalYear 5 (L Epsilon) of Elagabalus (AD 221).

Obv: Draped bust right / ANNIA   φAYCTINA (in Greek)
Rev.: Conjoined busts of Nilus, (wearing grain ear wreath and with cornucopia), and Euthenia, (draped and wearing grain ear wreath) both facing right; L Є (date) to right
Köln –; Dattari (Savio) 4197; K&G 59.9; Emmett 3039.5 (R3)

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Aquilia Severa redux

It should not be a surprise that at the end of 221, Elagabalus, reasserted his previous course of action, divorced Annia Faustina and returned to Julia Aquilia Severa, remarrying her as his fourth wife.  The public and imperial administration saw it as a profanation of their sensibilities, and in the early months of 222 ended the life of the emperor.

Nothing definitive can be said about the way the Imperial mints did or did not return to striking coins for Aquilia Severa late in 221 or early in 222. It is most probable that some did.  It is tantalizing to suppose that only some mints resumed production in her name, perhaps in places more favorable to the emperor than others, but so far there is no basis for proposing such a hypothesis.  But by the middle of 222 it had all come to a full stop.

• Like 7
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

9 hours ago, shanxi said:

Julia Maesa for Elagabal and Severus Alexander

normal_Julia_Maesa_02.jpg.74f055fe69b0a5af146e154a5b57b014.jpg

Julia Maesa
AR Denar
Obv.: IVLIA MAESA AVG, draped bust right.
Rev. IVNO REG, Iuno standing left, holding patera and sceptre; to left, peacock.
Ag, 3.59g, 18.2mm
Ref.: RIC IVb, 259 var (IVNO REG not REGI), RSC 23a, CRE 480 [R]

Shanxi, I think our examples of this coin (see both above) are die matches on both sides.  Not surprising considering how rare they are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1