Additional help required

expat

14 minutes ago, DLTcoins said:

Seljuqs of Rum, Kaykhusraw II b. Kayqubad. 1236-1245, AE fals. Album 1220. It's hard to read through the crust but I'm 90% confident. This is the same sultan, btw, who struck the famous 'lion & sun' dirhams.

Thanks, it was a gift, I have no other coins of this type and absolutely no knowledge of them. Looking forward to reading up on the subject.

• Like 2

The image on the left is the Kalima: "there is no god but / Allah; Muhammad / is the apostle of Allah"

لا اله الا

الله محمد

رسول الله

The other side names the sultan: "the sultan the very great / Kaykhusraw / bin Kayqubad"

السلطان الاعظم

كيخسرو

بن كيقباد

Edited by DLTcoins
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, DLTcoins said:

The other side names the sultan: "the sultan the very great / Kaykhusraw / bin Kayqubad"

الساطان الاعظم

كيخسرو

بن كتقباد

It's quite easy to identify the sultan's name on arabic coins, because they very often say something like (الساطان (الاعظم, (the great) sultan. So the first one to one-and-a-half lines on one side are that. But then you're left with the sultan's name. And I have no idea how to work that out unless I guess it 🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Conduitt said:

It's quite easy to identify the sultan's name on arabic coins, because they very often say something like (الساطان (الاعظم, (the great) sultan. So the first one to one-and-a-half lines on one side are that. But then you're left with the sultan's name. And I have no idea how to work that out unless I guess it 🤣

All this info is just great. Thanks

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, expat said:

All this info is just great. Thanks

Other things to look for are the kalima, as on your coin, although that's easier to spot if you can see the لا (which look like loops) on either end of the first line. If you see that, it probably means that whole side has no useful information for identification.

Then there's ضرب, which means 'struck in', so preceeds a mint name (and is usually in the top right corner, given Arabic reads right to left).

Lastly, there are numbers, which will be the year (AH not AD). Sometimes they're really easy to see and give you identification straight away, but sometimes they're rather hidden or cryptic. Especially look for ٢ (2), ٣ (3), 
٧ (7) and ٨ (8), which are less likely to be so stylised as to be unrecognisable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3