Previous Naville sale

Finn235

So the last Naville sale was the first one I ever participated in. Put out a half dozen lowball bids, and I don't want to jinx anything yet as I don't even have an invoice yet, but according to Biddr I just set two world records for lowest hammer on two white whales for my Roman set. Easily two for this year's top 10!

Anybody else participate? How long does it typically take them to invoice/process/ship?

• Like 3
  • Popcorn 1

I won only one coin, but the hammer price appears to be wrong.

nn.PNG.0ae3e70fc25d3620d065e6e861f40203.PNG

My proxy bid: 130, only 1 bid, but the price realized is 85 and not the Starting price. Why ????

I'll wait for the invoice before asking Naville.

Does anyone else have a problem like this?

Edited by shanxi
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I was wondering the same thing. I won one lot, but haven't gotten an invoice yet.

That's normal with Neville ... they good and serious, but not the fastest. Wait when you waiting for the sending 😄 

10 minutes ago, shanxi said:

No, never had this problem. that's crazy... its only 1 bid - and if you the only - so it must be the starting price.

This yesterday was only an e-auction - or? So no bids at the local area? This was the only explain I can get - if someone was in the house and make an not online bid. Or an bid with email and the online system on biddr don't check the email/local bids. its better you ask naville. 

• Like 3

I put in a lowball bid on this one -- to serve as a reminder to me to watch during the auction (and you never know when you're going to get lucky) -- but I watched the price skyrocket during prebidding over the past few weeks.

Capture.JPG.9e11a15686d95d72af0dbd755529b823.JPG

I opted to spend the money on some items from my V-Coins want list instead. I'm not saying the coin isn't worth the $400 it will end up costing the buyer after all buyer's fees, shipping, and currency-exchange and transfer fees are put in, but there's an opportunity cost that comes with all coins for someone with a limited coin budget. Buy one coin, you'll have to let others languish on your watch list.

if-you-dont-stop-buying-coins-youll-end-up-living-in-a-van-down-by-the-river.jpg.201661aaf5bdac96a9dec5407dc9809e.jpg

Edited by Roman Collector
To cover up evidence of heinous crimes against the English language
  • Like 8
  • Cry 1

My proxy bid for this one was actually  280 GPB, but the winner had obviously placed his 280 GBP bid  before me. 😥

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I was not at the computer. I would have gone even higher.

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 1

Hopefully I'll get the invoice soon. Both coins deserve their own thread when they arrive. 

One was won on a £280 hammer but is normally a $2,000-3,000 coin. Honestly expected my max bid of £380 to get blown out of the water by a factor of 5-10!

The other I bid £400 but won for £130! I've never seen the type hammer for less than $500, typically in the $800-1,000 range.

• Yes 1
  • Shock 1

5 hours ago, shanxi said:

My proxy bid: 130, only 1 bid, but the price realized is 85 and not the Starting price. Why ????

I'll wait for the invoice before asking Naville.

I have the same with a lot I won. But when clicking on the little blue "1 bid" I see there is one actual bid  and my proxy winning bid, meaning I win above the starting price. Maybe the same for you ?

Q

49 minutes ago, Qcumbor said:

But when clicking on the little blue "1 bid" I see there is one actual bid  and my proxy winning bid, meaning I win above the starting price. Maybe the same for you ?

You are right. Problem solved. Thank you. 

NNb.jpg.b052a46fa4c3c4c793dc145d3ecc656a.jpg

• Like 2

I threw out some bids in the last NN auction and landed one coin - this nomos/stater of Metapontum (lot 15):

2927360_1654245342.l.jpg

There were a good number of Greek coins that I felt sold for low prices, while other categories attracted fierce bidding. Coins from Roman Egypt seemed attract a lot of attention (probably because of the Dattari provenance on some) and my bids on those all fell flat.

Does anyone know what "From the collection of a Mentor" means? It seems ambiguous and I'd love to know if a more specific provenance can be gleaned from this statement.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Does anyone know what "From the collection of a Mentor" means? It seems ambiguous and I'd love to know if a more specific provenance can be gleaned from this statement.

Means it's all from one consigner. They had several coins in the last naville sale (mostly without a listed provenance, though some did have one) as well as the previous NAC sale (almost all with provenances).

• Like 1

• Benefactor

Speaking of provenance, the coin I bought was described as being "Ex Crippa sale 1, 1968." Has anyone ever heard of an auction house by that name? I have not, and it doesn't appear to be listed either at the Newman Numismatic Parcel or at RNumis.

Thank you.

8 hours ago, shanxi said:

I see you already solved this problem, but here's one reason you can get a surprise like this. If someone else also entered a proxy bid, but for 80, the coin would actually start live at 85.  Proxies are invisible to everyone except the bidder, and are executed automatically by the system.  (I know because I've run auctions on biddr.  Very glad Naville have moved to them, they're the best platform IMO.  Hopefully they'll also move their prices realized to acsearch, they've been noticeably missing there.)

15 hours ago, Finn235 said:

So the last Naville sale was the first one I ever participated in. Put out a half dozen lowball bids, and I don't want to jinx anything yet as I don't even have an invoice yet, but according to Biddr I just set two world records for lowest hammer on two white whales for my Roman set. Easily two for this year's top 10!

Wow!!!  I really want to know what these are, given how much coverage you already have!  PM me if you're willing to divulge to the cancer guy. 😽

15 hours ago, Finn235 said:

Anybody else participate? How long does it typically take them to invoice/process/ship?

When they were using their proprietary system they tended to be a bit slow.  Reliable, though.  (Except the time they sent me the wrong lot... a Caesar portrait denarius worth 15x the coin I actually won! 🤯 Lucky for them I'm an honest Canuck.)  I would imagine using biddr will speed things up for them a bit, except for this initial auction... they'll have to get used to things.

They're flexible too, e.g. with keeping coins for you until you win enough to be worth shipping.  I've always been happy with my communication with Mattia... though again, there can be delays.  Patience is rewarded.

I liked the look of the Mentor collection, but was blown out of the water on all of my targets.  Won only one coin, an Aurelian sestertius (usually mislabeled an As) :

image.jpeg.5cbbf6f6764919ef63c8346e5b42a6d1.jpeg

It's a hefty one at 9g.  Been wanting one of these for a while.

• Like 7

• Benefactor
23 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

Speaking of provenance, the coin I bought was described as being "Ex Crippa sale 1, 1968." Has anyone ever heard of an auction house by that name? I have not, and it doesn't appear to be listed either at the Newman Numismatic Parcel or at RNumis.

Thank you.

Maybe this??

https://auctions.bertolamifinearts.com/en/lot/36285/crippa-c-milano-1967-68-volume-contenente-/

• Like 1

• Benefactor
10 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

Thanks so much; I think that must be the right one. I see that the company used fixed price lists rather than auctions. 

I certainly hadn't come across that name before, but now I see on Fitzwilliam that they were around for quite a few years. Mostly lists...a couple of auctions towards the end.

https://fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/dept/coins/library/salescatalogue/SALECA-D.html

I should look into them some more! 😀

• Benefactor
5 minutes ago, rNumis said:

I certainly hadn't come across that name before, but now I see on Fitzwilliam that they were around for quite a few years. Mostly lists...a couple of auctions towards the end.

https://fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/dept/coins/library/salescatalogue/SALECA-D.html

I should look into them some more! 😀

Thank you again. I wasn't familiar with the Fitzwilliam resource. It seems that the first name of the proprietor may have been Carlo, since Carlo Crippa was the co-author of a book called Le monete di Milano, by Carlo Crippa, Silvana Crippa, Carlo Crippa, Silvana Crippa · 1986. Obviously a family enterprise!

• Like 1

• Benefactor

Out of curiosity and because of the international mail delays I've experienced lately, I asked Naville how much more than the Royal Mail insured shipping charge of 16 GBP it would cost to ship my coin (the total price of which was 116 GBP before shipping, including the buyer's premium) by Fedex or DHL Express. I was told "almost as much as the coin," without specifics. So I went ahead and paid the invoice with the regular shipping charge. I'll be curious to see how long it takes for me to receive the coin.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 1