Islamic coin idetification help?

seth77

When I see a coin with enough details and having quality photos, I usually do my best to help, but this beats me. 

All I can help with is this website (if you were not aware of it - https://www.zeno.ru/   )

There are many coins with a similar model of six-pointed star, such as https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=142700 but I personally did not find a match. I hope the website will help you a little. 

• Like 2

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I know of Zeno and Mamluk was one of my first thoughts. Unfortunately I could not find it, as I can't read any of the legend. I am also unsure of the calligraphy, as most of the Islamic coins I have seen have a much more elegant lettering and style, but since I know nothing about these coins, this might be wrong. 

• Like 2

Cool on you, @seth77, especially regarding your candor.  From a very similar place, I can only confirm that on coins, as well as other, more sympathetic media, styles of Arabic calligraphy go all over the map, merely from something like the early Caliphates to the 14th c. CE. 

From the very little I know, the broadly characterized 'Kufic' style, prominent from the 13th c. CE, is a much more angular, almost quasi-Roman(/-esque) variant of the sort of calligraphic fluidity that most of us like so much more, from earlier, contemporary, and even later Islamic coins, as far afield as the Muslim parts of India.  With that as collective, highly impressionistic context, the relative crudity of your example easily suggests a Mamluk milieu.  I have to guess that this is the right neighborhood.

Edited by JeandAcre

1 hour ago, Edessa said:

This popped up when I used "hexagram" as a search term at Zeno.ru. Not sure it's correct, but it might point you in the right direction: ZENO.RU - Anonymous coins of Kath

Thank you, that one an a couple of Mamluks are similar, especially with the hexagram design. Since I can't read Arabic it's the inside of the hexagram that I have been focusing on, and it doesn't fit what I have seen. The more I look at what's in the hexagram the more it looks like 𐍀P.

Edited by seth77
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, seth77 said:

Thank you, that one an a couple of Mamluks are similar, especially with the hexagram design. Since I can't read Arabic it's the inside of the hexagram that I have been focusing on, and it doesn't fit what I have seen. The more I look at what's in the hexagram the more it looks like 𐍀P.

A couple of additionalimperfect matches - maybe enough to reinforce the time period 13th century?

ISLAMIC, Persia (Post-Seljuk). Khwarizm Shahs . 'Ala al-Din Muhammad II. AD 1200-1220.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=966192

DELHI: Iltutmish, 1211-1236, AE jital (3.36g), Multan

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=9716834

Robert Tye has a category in his book on Jitals that is "Anonymous and Unattributed 13th century Coppers" maybe as "attributable as possible".  Someone with better arabic skills than me might see more in the lettering on the reverse.

image.png.4faf9e541b93b6bfbba29c7392266231.png

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool Think 1

3 hours ago, Sulla80 said:

I think you have this upside down : Allah لله

It's not Allah (الله) precisely but lillah (لله), literally "for Allah", combining the preposition li- with Allah. In Islam, lillah has a specific meaning with regard to charitable giving in the service of God. The word occurs frequently on the coins but rarely in such a prominent fashion. I don't want to read too much into it without context, however. The two partial words on the other side have me stumped. The first could be "al-amir" (الامير) but there are other possibilities. The second begins with ط (tah) or ظ (zah). Part of the "fun" of Kufic script is that diacritical marks are often ignored. I remember looking at this coin when originally posted but nothing has clicked for me thus far. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by DLTcoins
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2