East Germanic imitation of Roman denarius

Tejas

Here is a coin I bought recently. The coin was found in Ukraine, Kirovogradskaya oblast, Kropivnitskii (Украина, Кировоградская область, Кропивницкий)

It belongs to a group of barbarian imitations of Roman denarii, which circulated hundreds of kilometres beyond the Roman borders in modern Ukraine. These coins were produced within the Chernyakhov culture, which was dominated by the Goths, an eastern Germanic people.

This coin probably imitates a denarius of Marcus Aurelius, however, the coin may have been made decades or even a century after his rule. 

image.png.01cd84efa27635b12d37b48b34b568b5.png

• Like 14
  • Yes 1
  • Cookie 1

Here are other ones from my collecton:

image.png.ec609ba714b6aa17bc0c756eb81a0d98.pngimage.png.bccfd277920bd3b52f5c5f424c4c7c61.png

These silver imitations are normally not holed and they typically show a great deal of wear, suggesting that the circulated as money, hundreds of miles beyond the Roman borders.

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 12

Just now, Tejas said:

Here are other ones from my collecton:

image.png.ec609ba714b6aa17bc0c756eb81a0d98.pngimage.png.bccfd277920bd3b52f5c5f424c4c7c61.png

Absolute cool! Fantastic. I like this imitate Styles. But these imitations are not only great because of their appearance - but also because of the story behind them. 

Thanks for the video link - I'll take a look at it right away.

By the way, thanks for the thread. I think it's a very interesting topic. Maybe there will be more pictures of your imitations.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tejas said:

Here is a coin I bought recently. The coin was found in Ukraine, Kirovogradskaya oblast, Kropivnitskii (Украина, Кировоградская область, Кропивницкий)

It belongs to a group of barbarian imitations of Roman denarii, which circulated hundreds of kilometres beyond the Roman borders in modern Ukraine. These coins were produced within the Chernyakhov culture, which was dominated by the Goths, an eastern Germanic people.

This coin probably imitates a denarius of Marcus Aurelius, however, the coin may have been made decades or even a century after his rule. 

image.png.01cd84efa27635b12d37b48b34b568b5.png

Dirk, Thanks for an interesting thread, you've posted some wonderful barbarian creations 🤩. The Germanic tribes from western Ukraine, Poland, & southern Scandinavia don't get the attention they deserve 😉. You have authored some scholarly papers on barbarian coinage in the past, so it's great seeing you share your knowledge on this forum too 😊. The YouTube link you provided was an excellent & informative video. It's encouraging to see serious research being done by numismatists in that area.

• Like 3