Experiences with the shop platform delcampe.net ...?

Prieure de Sion

Hello...

Do any of you have experience with the collector buying/selling platform delcampe.net?

https://www.delcampe.net/

In terms of buying coins? Is it relatively safe to buy there? What is the rate of possible counterfeits offered there? Do you deal directly with the seller? Have you had good experiences buying there?

Thank you.

• Like 1

I bought a few coins from there a LONG time ago (2005-2007) without problem, but eventually stopped looking because there was nothing of interest and the site had been going through some redesigns (there used to be a separate Delcampe International).

Taking a quick look today at what I collect I don't notice any obvious fakes, but I don't think you can rely on an auction platform like this to provide any safety - it really comes down to individual sellers. Compare to eBay where eBay.com is relatively ok from fakes POV (present, but not overwhelming), whereas on eBay.uk Constantine era coins are 90% fake thanks to a a few sellers (same person?) who've been selling the same junk for years apparently with zero effort by eBay to stop them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been collecting medievals from there for years.  Very much to @Heliodromus' point, it ultimately depends on the dealer.  But at least within that category, it does seem to attract the better kind of dealer.  Several of them are well established in their own right; a lot crosslist on MA Coins and ebay.fr (which is relatively safe for medieval --also as compared to ebay.uk!).  And, right, I've never had any problem with them.  --That compares favorably even to some major auction platforms.

• Thanks 1

• Benefactor

All I know about delcampe is that it's a great place to buy old postcards, especially from Europe, whether you're looking for postcards from obscure villages and towns in places like Alsace and Baden and the former Pomerania, or from particular neighborhoods in large cities like Berlin and Paris. Better than Ebay. 

• Thanks 1
  • Smile 1