A new follis of Leo IV the Khazar and Constantine VI and company - or - Leo and Constantine do New York

robinjojo

• Benefactor

This is a coin that arrived just today, from CNG.  Overall in nice grade, there is a little crudeness on the reverse.

Seeing these two guys seated on the same coin for over 1,500 years I decided that they needed a change of scenery, and what better than the New York subway system!

Leo IV the Khazar and, Constantine VI, Constantinople, AE follis, 775-780 AD.  From CNG E-Auction 539, lot 825.  Ex Gasvoda Collection.

Sear 1587

4.71 grams

Leo IV and Constantine VI enthroned facing, each wearing crown and chlamys; cross above / Crowned facing busts of Leo III and Constantine V, each wearing loros, set on horizontal bar; cross above, three pellets flanking; below, large M; X - N across lower field; A.

D-CameraLeoIVConstantineVIfollis775-780ADCNG539825exGasvodaCollectionSear15874.71grams6-12-23.jpg.420e93ae1434f51b43565864c9bdfe09.jpg

Any Leo IV and Constantine VI coins to share?

• Like 6
  • Smile 4
  • Laugh 1
  • Mind blown 1

• Benefactor
11 minutes ago, robinjojo said:

This is a coin that arrived just today, from CNG.  Overall in nice grade, there is a little crudeness on the reverse.

Seeing these two guys seated on the same coin for over 1,500 years I decided that they needed a change of scenery, and what better than the New York subway system!

Leo IV the Khazar and, Constantine VI, Constantinople, AE follis, 775-780 AD.  From CNG E-Auction 539, lot 825.  Ex Gasvoda Collection.

Sear 1587

4.71 grams

Leo IV and Constantine VI enthroned facing, each wearing crown and chlamys; cross above / Crowned facing busts of Leo III and Constantine V, each wearing loros, set on horizontal bar; cross above, three pellets flanking; below, large M; X - N across lower field; A.

D-CameraLeoIVConstantineVIfollis775-780ADCNG539825exGasvodaCollectionSear15874.71grams6-12-23.jpg.420e93ae1434f51b43565864c9bdfe09.jpg

Any Leo IV and Constantine VI coins to share?

As a New Yorker, I can asssure you that nobody would give them a second glance if they appeared like that sitting in a subway car. We've all seen way stranger things.

• Like 4
  • Smile 2
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, DonnaML said:

As a New Yorker, I can asssure you that nobody would give them a second glance if they appeared like that sitting in a subway car. We've all seen way stranger things.

This is my favorite New Yorker cover print, 1994, signed by Edward Sorel.

D-CameraEdwardSorelprint1994NewYorkercoversigned6-12-23.jpg.a56b568a20546917a4a2b6ff9943e6d9.jpg

• Like 3
  • Smile 2

• Benefactor

Speaking of blasé New Yorkers, this Charles Addams cartoon portrays some of them. Scenes like this may draw a crowd, but they don't seem too upset!

It's supposed to have been one of his favorites.

image.png.6602c9d869cc857041abed91b0db3dc5.png

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 3
  • Smile 1