Augustus, Elector of Saxony

Al Kowsky

StacksBowers72242AWK.jpg.7ca37ce5e3734649d185f5a2d61d0322.jpg

GERMANY-Saxony. Augustus, 1553-1586, dated 15 78 in field. Dresden Mint; Hans Biener, mintmaster. AR Thaler: 29 gm, 40 mm, 12 h. Obverse: Augustus bare-headed & facing right, armored & wielding a two handled sword, inscription: .AGVVSTVS. D:G. DVX. SAXO. SA. ROMA. IMP. Reverse: 12 part coat-of-arms topped by 3 ornate helmets. Inscription: HB .ARCHMARS CHAL. ET. ELEC. Davenport 9798, PCGS AU55, AWK Collection. I acquired the above coin recently, & despite areas of weakness, the coin has little wear & lovely toning 😊. Many large coins made by the early screw press method have this fault ☹️.

Augustus (July 31, 1526 - February 11, 1586) was son of Henry IV, Duke of Saxony, & Catherine Mecklenburg. He was Lutheran, belonged to the Albertine branch of the house of Wettin, & attended the University of Leipzig. He lived a life of wealth, privilege, & extravagance. When Henry IV died in 1541, his eldest son Maurice became Elector of Saxony, & Augustus received a lesser role. On October 7, 1548 Augustus married Anna, daughter of King Christian III of Denmark, & Dorothea of Saxe-Lauenburg. Together the couple had 15 children 😲! When Maurice died in July of 1553, Augustus became Elector of Saxony. Throughout his electorship he was at odds with the Ernestine branch of the family, & to strengthen his position he cultivated a friendship with the Habsburgs. The Habsburgs were a powerful family dynasty that ruled much of central Europe for a long time. Lutheranism evolved into a number of different sects & Calvinism made an impact in the state of Saxony. Augustus managed to restore genuine Lutheranism to Saxony by 1580 with the Lutheran Book of Concord. Augustus did expand his power base by adding a number of weaker territories to his realm. 

ElectorElectressofSaxony1571.jpg.bb36bf4e43d5de434893b9d468448ebe.jpg

Diptych paintings of Augustus & his wife Anna, by Lucas Carnach, circa 1572.

His wife, Electress Anna, died in 1585 & three months later he married Agnes Hedwig, the daughter of the prince of Anhalt. Agnes was 13 years old 🫢& Augustus was almost 60 🙄. Augustus died one month later & was succeeded by his oldest son Christen I.

The British Museum has one of Augustus' treasured toys, pictured below, an exquisitely made model of a galleon that functions as a clock-automaton. This magnificent toy has a small clock inset showing hours & minutes while sailors wielding hammers in the crow's nests strike the hours & quarters. The ship traveled independently along a table, originally on wheels, & as it moved it played tunes on a small pipe organ that were accompanied by drumbeats. While all this was going on a group of miniature figures representing the Electors of the Holy Roman Empire would circle around Emperor Rudolf II who was seated on a throne below a canopy. As a grand finale the ship fired it's main cannon in the bowsprit that triggered a fuse firing the rest of the cannons 😂I wish I had a toy like this as a kid instead of a stupid Erector Set 🤔....

ToyGalleonBM.jpg.16c4cb9ea1278162647d0e2d55eee871.jpg

AugustusmechanicalGalleon.jpg.c9773f991a1fa1c6db7205f50c412d9e.jpg

Wikipedia was used as a reference. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor

Beautiful coin and painting, @Al Kowsky. I wouldn't have minded a toy like that either!

My only coin from the Albertine line is one issued by Augustus's grandson, Johann Georg I. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_George_I,_Elector_of_Saxony .)

Saxony (Albertine Line), AR Broad Thaler 1626, Johann Georg I, Elector of Saxony. Davenport 7601. Purchased from Harmer, Rooke Numismatists, Inc., New York, NY, March 5, 1986.

image.png.5196c0ffdac23ed43f4aceed2f696bfb.png

image.png.8658a5fe346007ef3b6554b1aef4aa21.png

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 10
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Great coin and write up @Al Kowsky. And another full of detail @DonnaML

My wife has this Conventionsthaler. Friedrich Christian. Single year of issue as, only a few months after becoming Elector of Saxony, he developed smallpox and passed away. The FWoF mintmark signifies Dresden. My Wife's maternal family is from that area and this coin has been handed down the female line since her Great, Great Grandmother received it as a Birthday gift at some point.

Type     Standard circulation coin
Year     1763
Value     4⁄3 Saxon thaler = 1 Conventionsthaler = ⅒ Cologne Mark
Currency     Thaler (1493-1805)
Composition     Silver (.833)
Weight     28.8 g
Diameter     43 mm

Obverse: Armored bust facing right. Lettering: D:G:FRID:CHRIST:PR:R:POL:& L:DUX SAX

Reverse: Crowned arms, date at end of legend. Lettering: IUL : CL : MONT : A : & W : S : R : I : ARCHIM : & ELECTOR · 1763
FWoF
X · EINE FEINE MARCK

20211128_101052 (2)-side.jpg

• Like 9
  • Yes 1

4 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Beautiful coin and painting, @Al Kowsky. I wouldn't have minded a toy like that either!

My only coin from the Albertine line is one issued by Augustus's grandson, Johann Georg I. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_George_I,_Elector_of_Saxony .)

Saxony (Albertine Line), AR Broad Thaler 1626, Johann Georg I, Elector of Saxony. Davenport 7601. Purchased from Harmer, Rooke Numismatists, Inc., New York, NY, March 5, 1986.

image.png.5196c0ffdac23ed43f4aceed2f696bfb.png

image.png.8658a5fe346007ef3b6554b1aef4aa21.png

Donna, That's a lovely coin 😍, the post Renaissance German engravers really knew how to "strut their stuff". A quick comparison of the coat-of-arms of our coins reveals how the state of Saxony grew 😉. I must admit when I first saw the lady in the photo viewing the galleon I thought it was you 😂. I really regret selling my example of Johann George thaler long ago, pictured below ☹️.

IMG_2838.JPG.2da718b496ab35954d0c1e1f8608623f.JPG

• Like 9

3 hours ago, expat said:

Great coin and write up @Al Kowsky. And another full of detail @DonnaML

My wife has this Conventionsthaler. Friedrich Christian. Single year of issue as, only a few months after becoming Elector of Saxony, he developed smallpox and passed away. The FWoF mintmark signifies Dresden. My Wife's maternal family is from that area and this coin has been handed down the female line since her Great, Great Grandmother received it as a Birthday gift at some point.

Type     Standard circulation coin
Year     1763
Value     4⁄3 Saxon thaler = 1 Conventionsthaler = ⅒ Cologne Mark
Currency     Thaler (1493-1805)
Composition     Silver (.833)
Weight     28.8 g
Diameter     43 mm

Obverse: Armored bust facing right. Lettering: D:G:FRID:CHRIST:PR:R:POL:& L:DUX SAX

Reverse: Crowned arms, date at end of legend. Lettering: IUL : CL : MONT : A : & W : S : R : I : ARCHIM : & ELECTOR · 1763
FWoF
X · EINE FEINE MARCK

20211128_101052 (2)-side.jpg

expat, Thanks for posting this very fine thaler, obviously a very scarce coin type 🤩.

• Like 1

• Benefactor
13 hours ago, Al Kowsky said:

Donna, That's a lovely coin 😍, the post Renaissance German engravers really knew how to "strut their stuff". A quick comparison of the coat-of-arms of our coins reveals how the state of Saxony grew 😉.

At least according to Numista, it seems that most of the coat of arms is actually Spanish. Here's my full write-up of my example, based on the Numista description at https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces32828.html . (Back in 1986 when I bought it, I certainly wasn't doing write-ups; I only got into that habit when I started collecting ancients. Fortunately, I did keep most of the receipts for coins and medals I purchased, which is how I know when and where I bought the coin. I've been writing up my British and other world coins and medals very slowly over the last few years, mostly when I post them online.)

Saxony (Albertine Line), AR Broad Thaler 1626, Johann Georg I, Elector of Saxony (1615-1656). Obv. Half-length armored figure to right, holding sword over right shoulder and helmet (with visor facing front) in left hand, IOHAN. GEORG. D. G. DVX SAX. IVL. CLIV. ET. MONTI / Rev. Spanish shield of manifold arms (divided into 18 shields within), with central shield of electoral Saxony, 6 ornate helmets above divide date 16 – 26  to upper left and right, SA. ROM. IMP. ARCHIM. ET ELECT., mint mark H – I (Dresden) divided by the Spanish shield. 45 mm., 29 g. Davenport 7601, KM 132. Purchased from Harmer, Rooke Numismatists, Inc., New York, NY, March 5, 1986.

I must say that some of the "6 ornate helmets" above the Spanish shield are very peculiar-looking, including the one (third from the right) that has a top portion resembling a medieval court jester.

• Like 2
  • Yes 1

11 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

At least according to Numista, it seems that most of the coat of arms is actually Spanish. Here's my full write-up of my example, based on the Numista description at https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces32828.html . (Back in 1986 when I bought it, I certainly wasn't doing write-ups; I only got into that habit when I started collecting ancients. Fortunately, I did keep most of the receipts for coins and medals I purchased, which is how I know when and where I bought the coin. I've been writing up my British and other world coins and medals very slowly over the last few years, mostly when I post them online.)

Saxony (Albertine Line), AR Broad Thaler 1626, Johann Georg I, Elector of Saxony (1615-1656). Obv. Half-length armored figure to right, holding sword over right shoulder and helmet (with visor facing front) in left hand, IOHAN. GEORG. D. G. DVX SAX. IVL. CLIV. ET. MONTI / Rev. Spanish shield of manifold arms (divided into 18 shields within), with central shield of electoral Saxony, 6 ornate helmets above divide date 16 – 26  to upper left and right, SA. ROM. IMP. ARCHIM. ET ELECT., mint mark H – I (Dresden) divided by the Spanish shield. 45 mm., 29 g. Davenport 7601, KM 132. Purchased from Harmer, Rooke Numismatists, Inc., New York, NY, March 5, 1986.

I must say that some of the "6 ornate helmets" above the Spanish shield are very peculiar-looking, including the one (third from the right) that has a top portion resembling a medieval court jester.

I think it would take a lot of time & study to unravel the meaning & symbolism of the coat-of arms on these thalers 🤔. If you compare the reverse of your 1626 thaler & my 1640 thaler the number of helmets has grown from 6 to 8 & the coat-of-arms is more complex. The Saxon rulers were greatly expanding their territories 😉.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

It's a wonderful coin and a very interesting writeup!  These type of coins are the neatest of 'modern' coins, in my opinion.

Nero., The screw press is without doubt the 1st step to modernization of coinage, & this went hand in hand with the rolling press that could take bars of metal & flatten them out so planchets could be made of uniform thickness. A retaining collar was another important step that eliminated clipping. Hydraulic stamping was another important sept that would speed up the process. The final step to modernization was the pantograph lathe that eliminated hand engraving. Some how the modern coinage of today doesn't have the heart & soul that the old coinage had. By taking the human hand away from the process we lost a lot ☹️.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

• Benefactor
13 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

It's a wonderful coin and a very interesting writeup!  These type of coins are the neatest of 'modern' coins, in my opinion.

For anyone interested in the thalers and other coins of Saxony in the 16th to 18th centuries,  I noticed last night on Numisbids that Künker has a large selection of coins and medals from Saxony and other German states in their Auction 389 on June 23. See  https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=sale&sid=6834 , with the coins and medals from the Electorate of Saxony beginning with Lot 2303 and running through Lot 2475, followed by coins from the Kingdom of Saxony. I see coins of both Augustus and Johann Georg I among them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 6 months later...

I have a couple of Sachsen coins/ first one sloppy job placing coin to look aligned/ poor data to boot.

Sachsen/ Kürfurstentum

AV Vicariats Dukat 1792-IEC

Dresden Mint

Friedrich August III

Commerative Issue to mark "Election of Franz II as HRE) 

Johann Georg I 1611-56

AV Doppel Dukat 1630

Dresden Mint

Commerative "100th. Anniversary Augsburg Confession"

Sophia

AV Dukat 1616

Dresden Mint

Commerative to honour Johann Georgs Mutter Sophia

a98c97cf2a8568b00915673d90c997a3 (1).jpg

lf - 2023-12-04T003624.562.jpg

lf - 2023-12-04T003642.331.jpg

00473q00-270x150-resize.jpg