Caesarea Countermarks!

hotwheelsearl

I got a few new coins with neat countermarks. I'm not a CM collector, but when I get one, I don't complain.

IMG_E4012.thumb.JPG.e377adeaff319616d431f6308b0c4cb8.JPG

IMG_E4024.thumb.JPG.61d5ccffe3d05457038dc719bb80d7b7.JPG

I have a hard time telling if these are Severus Alexander or Elagabalus.

I think the countermarks on both are of a tiny radiate bust.

The top coin features a radiate bust of SA or EG, with a clearly defined radiate bust CM. The reverse features the classic cult "altar(?)" of Caesarea, showing Mount Argaeus. This one has the mountain singular.

The lower coin features a laureate bust, with an unclear, but what I think is a radiate bust CM. The reverse now has the Argaeus Altar within a clear temple enclosure. So cool!

There are so many options with the Argaeus Altar - stand alone, within temple, on table, on table with mini temple... the list goes on.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, hotwheelsearl said:

I got a few new coins with neat countermarks. I'm not a CM collector, but when I get one, I don't complain.

IMG_E4012.thumb.JPG.e377adeaff319616d431f6308b0c4cb8.JPG

IMG_E4024.thumb.JPG.61d5ccffe3d05457038dc719bb80d7b7.JPG

I have a hard time telling if these are Severus Alexander or Elagabalus.

I think the countermarks on both are of a tiny radiate bust.

The top coin features a radiate bust of SA or EG, with a clearly defined radiate bust CM. The reverse features the classic cult "altar(?)" of Caesarea, showing Mount Argaeus. This one has the mountain singular.

The lower coin features a laureate bust, with an unclear, but what I think is a radiate bust CM. The reverse now has the Argaeus Altar within a clear temple enclosure. So cool!

There are so many options with the Argaeus Altar - stand alone, within temple, on table, on table with mini temple... the list goes on.

Always thought countermarks were very cool! Always a neat story and meaning to them.  Nice job with yours @hotwheelsearl

I have very few... here is one purported to be stamped by the Pirates during Pompey's sweep of the Eastern Med...

1928657671_Cilicia-TarsosturretcounterstampedBowPompeyPiratesAE19164BCETyche-Zeusseated.JPG.ded093b76f4a5fbd581c887e824b5714.JPG

Cilicia - Tarsos turret counterstamped Bow Pompey Pirates AE 19 164 BCE Tyche-Zeus seated

• Like 6

Countermarks are indeed cool.

Here is my Otho from Antioch with an Athena countermark.

image.png.6caaec4c202a062debb2f2f1832077f9.png

Syria, Seleucis and Pieria. Antiochia ad Orontem. Otho. A.D. 69. Æ 14.97gr
IMP M OTHO CAE(S) AVG (clockwise), laureate head of Otho, r. / S C, inscription in a laurel wreath of eight leaves. Countermarked - Howgego 245 - Athena facing right with shield and spear
RPC I 4318, BMC 207, 209–11, McAlee 321c

• Like 8

Nice ones, @hotwheelsearl  I'm a big fan of countermarks and I really like those Cappadocian types.  As it so happens, I recently got two of these (one is unidentifiable, but it is a countermark of some sort).  Here they are - with full attributions to the best of my abilities (Howgego 12i).  

Although the countermark is common, I couldn't find any on a Septimius Severus; mostly it is later issues that get this countermark; worn, but I really like the mellow toning and the portrait on this one:

520393278_CM-CaesareaCappadociaSeptSev.helioslotMay2022(0).thumb.jpg.c01a4922c9ea146ffdfa3f8dea6d89d9.jpg

Septimius Severus             Æ 26 Cappadocia, Caesarea Year ЄT Γ (3) (194-195 A.D.)? [AY K Λ] CЄ[Π CЄOYHPOC AY], laureate head right / MHTPOΠO [KAICAPAC], agalma of Mt. Argaeus set upon garlanded altar inscribed ЄT Γ (date unclear; see notes).  Sydenham 422? (see notes). (15.93 grams / 26 mm) eBay May 2022  Countermark:  Radiate head of Helios right, in circular punch, 5 mm.  Howgego 12i (242 pcs). "Note: The countermark was most likely applied in 243/244 since there are no countermarked coins from year seven of the reign of Gordian III." FORVM. Attribution:  Date unclear; Sydenham 412:  ЄT B/R (yr. 2) Sydenham 422:  ЄT Γ (yr. 3) Sydenham 428: ЄT IΓ (yr. 13)

This Gordian III is countermarked on the neck, but I am not sure with what; my guess is a Helios head, since they are so common.  But this is only a guess: 

569893819_CM-CaesareaCappadociaGordianIIIhelioslotMay2022(0).thumb.jpg.be0384c73120af06098d7de55c74ba0c.jpg

Gordian III  Æ 25 Cappadocia, Caesarea Year Ϛ (6) (243 A.D.) [ΑΥ Κ Μ Α]ΝΤ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟϹ, laureate and cuirassed bust right seen from rear / ΜΗΤΡΟ ΚΑΙϹ Β Ν, ƐΤ Ϛ; view of Mount Argaeus set on altar containing wreath RPC VII.2 3384 (cuir. only) 10.69 grams / 25 x 24 mm) eBay May 2022   Countermark:  Unclear, but possibly radiate head of Helios right, in circular punch, 5 mm.  Howgego 12i (242 pcs).  "Note: The countermark was most likely applied in 243/244 since there are no countermark ed coins from year seven of the reign of Gordian III." Collection Automan on FORVM.  Attribution:  Cuirassed bust, no drapery; (1) example in RPC. 

That Helios Head countermark was used a lot - RPC calls it No. 129; here is a link to a bunch of other examples:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/countermark/129

• Like 6