Nerva shaking hands with Mars? PICTURE REQUESTED

Steppenfool

EDIT: I have found corroborating evidence of this coins existence. It's RIC II 32 Nerva, Does anybody have this coin or an image of it? Many thanks

EDIT 2: Turns out this coin type is possibly a fake? see post #3

I can't find any reference or image to this coin that is talked about in a paper I'm reading on Nerva's coinage, it is described as follows:

" a PAX AVGVSTI type, restricted to the second issue of 97, shows Nerva shaking hands with Mars (or a soldier) "

There's no note or reference attached. I'm assuming this is not the typical clasped hands CONCORDIA types, due to the different legend. The identification of Mars also makes me presume that there is a full figure present? The other possibility I thought was possibly a mix up with the Trajan and Nerva PROVID reverse, but again the legend counters this thought.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 1

• Steppenfool changed the title to Nerva shaking hands with Mars? PICTURE REQUESTED

Am I chasing after a fake coin?

He wisely excludes a controversial coin type, known in very few examples and accepted as genuine by Mattingly, as a “modern forgery” (39): further research on these pieces by me has shown that the PAX AVGVSTI coins of Nerva are early modern fakes, first attested in a publication of the year 1601. The reverse type, showing Roma and the emperor clasping hands, is borrowed from bronzes of Vitellius. Not only denarii, but also one aureus of this type could be documented; most unusually, the denarii all seem to have been overstruck on Roman Republican pieces, probably at some time in the 16th c

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-roman-archaeology/article/abs/reflections-on-nervas-imperial-coinage-n-t-elkins-2017-the-image-of-political-power-in-the-reign-of-nerva-ad-9698-new-york-oxford-university-press-pp-xvii-207-91-figs-isbn-9780190648039/4B98A90A059775AD6B37D4F876EB87A4

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Steppenfool said:

I can't find any reference or image to this coin that is talked about in a paper I'm reading on Nerva's coinage, it is described as follows:

Dorotheum sold an example from the Haeberlin collection in 2016 without mentioning that it was as fake. Here is the link to the auction result including pictures: https://www.dorotheum.com/de/l/1353340/ .

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't a forgery.

EDIT: Woytek has published a paper on this type in German, apparently argueing for it being an early modern forgery. I currently don't have access to this paper, but here are the bibliographical details: Bernhard Woytek, Die frühneuzeitlichen Denare Nervas mit PAX AVGVSTI. In: Numismatische Zeitschrift 124 (2018), 57-78.

Edited by Ursus
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ursus said:

Dorotheum sold an example from the Haeberlin collection in 2016 without mentioning that it was as fake. Here is the link to the auction result including pictures: https://www.dorotheum.com/de/l/1353340/ .

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't a forgery.

EDIT: Woytek has published a paper on this type in German, apparently argueing for it being an early modern forgery. I currently don't have access to this paper, but here are the bibliographical details: Bernhard Woytek, Die frühneuzeitlichen Denare Nervas mit PAX AVGVSTI. In: Numismatische Zeitschrift 124 (2018), 57-78.

Excellent, thank you for your help. I was planning on using this coin as evidence in a Youtube video, but best not to include it in this case. Looking back, it was actually Woytek that wrote the above paragraph I quoted from a Nerva book review.

Edited by Steppenfool