Just sayin Hi! Been Busy

thenickelguy

Thought I'd pop in and say hello. I have been busy cataloging all my coin collection on a spreadsheet and organizing them to location. Only a small portion is ancient stuff but it was the most difficult to word correctly in different columns. Today I am up to my 2100th entry and I have a long way to go.

I log on every now and then, maybe a few times a week, other times without logging in I look around. I haven't bought a new coin to post in quite awhile, That's just one of my "To do" projects I have going on.

I did want to say that I still love this site and all the cool people. So polite and helpful! Thanks

Happy Springtime to all!

d.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 5

I'm getting ready to hold a table and sell at our local small coin show. I am also cataloging this mess for my wife and heirs.

Heck, I am even having a tough time figuring it out, so I am sure they would be lost without a big file. Has links to images, description, values and location and is sortable. Just finished my ancients and other older types this morning. That was tough. Only a couple thousand to go!

I'll be grading my complete set of Jefferson nickels last, which only a very small portion of it is certified. It is very complete as far as I care to go. I will assign step counts and grades. It is probably worthy of being one of those top pop sets but I ain't paying for that nonsense. Then I have quite a few duplicates but no junky stuff is left. I still have 700 medals to enter. A lot of those images are done and they are ready to be typed up.

This whole project will help me pick out my showcase items that I don't care to keep for selling at the show.

I did see an amazing gold byzantine coin at the coin shop last week. Maybe I will be able to buy it after the July show. It was almost 5 grams and cost about 1000.00 but it was in a PCGS slab and in mint state. I think it was one of those "cupped" type. I forget the specifics. I can't get it out of my mind since. LOL

Thanks for the "likes" in return.

Now to go cut the grass! AGAIN!

• Clap 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have now entered over 3600 items on a spreadsheet file where I have then described and located items Then a good portion of them are linked to an image. I can find my duplicates or items I really don't want to keep anymore and "pull" them for sale.

Our local coin club is having our annual coin show where I have rented a table. I picked up three of those showcases we are all familiar with and I hope to fill two of them. A buddy of mine is sharing the table with his stuff and I'm letting him use one of my cases.

After the show, I'll remove the items sold from my inventory file and then I am going to pick over my collection and send the rest to auction. The auctioneer should be happy with the files and pictures!

I guess I'll get rid of well over half and probably worry about what to do with the proceeds then.

This project took me over 2 months to complete. Everything is accounted for, I have 300 images to take yet and I still want to continue entering the grades on my Jefferson nickel set. Goal is to have the cases filled and file completed by July 1.

It is so nice to know exactly where something is and what I have.

Just a screenshot peek at my files … there are several more columns

screenshotINV.jpg.3cf45f9418551064a0cf1bc60a14ed12.jpg

Edited by thenickelguy
  • Like 5

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, thenickelguy said:

I have now entered over 3600 items on a spreadsheet file where I have then described and located items Then a good portion of them are linked to an image. I can find my duplicates or items I really don't want to keep anymore and "pull" them for sale.

Our local coin club is having our annual coin show where I have rented a table. I picked up three of those showcases we are all familiar with and I hope to fill two of them. A buddy of mine is sharing the table with his stuff and I'm letting him use one of my cases.

After the show, I'll remove the items sold from my inventory file and then I am going to pick over my collection and send the rest to auction. The auctioneer should be happy with the files and pictures!

I guess I'll get rid of well over half and probably worry about what to do with the proceeds then.

This project took me over 2 months to complete. Everything is accounted for, I have 300 images to take yet and I still want to continue entering the grades on my Jefferson nickel set. Goal is to have the cases filled and file completed by July 1.

It is so nice to know exactly where something is and what I have.

Just a screenshot peek at my files … there are several more columns

screenshotINV.jpg.3cf45f9418551064a0cf1bc60a14ed12.jpg

Just to clarify, are you still interested in buying any coins in the future (ancient or otherwise), or are you trying to dispose of your entire collection?

• Like 1

• Benefactor

I too am going through my own data entry phase, though the purpose is not for a sale.

I'm currently writing my own software to do the following:

• Store relevant information about coins that's currently in an Excel spreadsheet
  • Automatically generate album pages to place my coins
  • Autogenerate timelines for my coins
  • Autogenerate maps of where my coins are from
  • Automatically update the necessary pages on my website with this information

I'm still at the early stages. So far I have the import from Excel working and I'm almost finished with the data entry UI. This weekend I hope to start autogenerating my album pages.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

Just to clarify, are you still interested in buying any coins in the future (ancient or otherwise), or are you trying to dispose of your entire collection?

Let's put it this way, lol

If I dispose of most of my collection, I can justify buying some better ancient coins. More is not always better. Best is better.

No, I'm not quitting. haha

Had to do this first.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

I too am going through my own data entry phase, though the purpose is not for a sale.

I'm currently writing my own software to do the following:

• Store relevant information about coins that's currently in an Excel spreadsheet
  • Automatically generate album pages to place my coins
  • Autogenerate timelines for my coins
  • Autogenerate maps of where my coins are from
  • Automatically update the necessary pages on my website with this information

I'm still at the early stages. So far I have the import from Excel working and I'm almost finished with the data entry UI. This weekend I hope to start autogenerating my album pages.

I'll tell ya what, time flew since I started my project, working many hours a day on it.

I have a weekly commitment and every week I can't believe how fast that week went that it is that day again already.

It is quite an accomplishment for me. Something I knew I should do. Good for the wife, in case I couldn't make heads or tails of it someday (soon). They will fetch more being organized. I was going to take them to Heritage in Philly but I don't think I will. I don't want to drive into that city anyway, especially with all that stuff.

It will still be a while til they go I think but it will happen now.

• Like 2