Does NGC grade ancients outside of the US?

Null

Hey,

After reading about the Eid mar being repatriated to Greece, and the US governments hostilities towards ancient numismatists. I'm wondering does NGC grade ancients outside of the United States?

I'd rather not risk sending my coins to the US for the foreseeable future but would like to get a few graded.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Null said:

and the US governments hostilities towards ancient numismatists

Since when are the US authorities hostile? I ship almost every day from Europe to the US. If you have legal papers and don't do anything illegal - you have nothing to fear.

5 hours ago, Null said:

I'm wondering does NGC grade ancients outside of the United States?

You can read about it on the NGC website. USA and Shanghai. 

But I don't see why there should be any problems outside the USA. You submit the coin to a local NGC office. From there, the coins are collected and also sent to the USA in cooperation with customs - and also sent back again. This means that there are no customs fees for the import or re-import. NGC provides all legal documents required for transport to and from the USA.

All of this has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the legal situation of the current Roma Numismatic Eid Mar. 

The comparison is similar - if a terrorist had been arrested at the airport in Atlanta - and I would now say - I have booked a holiday to the USA but I am afraid that I will now also be arrested on entry. Because the immigration authorities in the USA are so unfriendly towards travellers!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

The comparison is similar - if a terrorist had been arrested at the airport in Atlanta - and I would now say - I have booked a holiday to the USA but I am afraid that I will now also be arrested on entry. Because the immigration authorities in the USA are so unfriendly towards travellers!

To be fair, the US has form on this. If you were from Iran, or had joint Iranian citizenship, you were banned from entering the US from 2017-2021, whether you had links to the terrorist arrested in Atlanta or not. You might even have been campaigning for their arrest - you were still banned. Not just Iran - restrictions applied to 14 countries (including Cuba).

Even if you're not from those countries, but have been to certain ones in the last 12 years (Cuba being a popular tourist destination for Britons), even today you're ineligable for the ESTA visa waiver. So your holiday could very quickly and easily be put at risk by the whim of the president. Perhaps your coins could, too.

Indeed, eBay still bans sales of coins from some of those countries because of their interpretation of US law. Even for those selling from and to countries nowhere near the US.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 2