Lorica segmentata hinge from my collection.

Victrix

I'm into collecting roman military mint coins and military pieces from the roman period so wanted to share a favourite piece of mine.This is a shoulder hinge, Type F.v in M.D. Thomas' "Lorica Segmentata Vol. II: A Catalogue of Finds".  This type of hinge was used to attach the hinged shoulder plates (surprise), of which there two on each shoulder.  It was used on Corbridge type Lorica Segmentata which M.C. Bishop dates (in Vol.I) to roughly the last half of the first century - it likely began in the AD 40s and lasted until the end of Trajan's wars.

lorica1.png

lorica2.png

lorica3.png

Edited by Victrix
  • Like 15

Great piece Victrix.  A fragment of Roman armor is indeed a rarity and a distinct lobate hinge like yours just seems to have personality of its own. 

I have to admit that as an easily impressionable boy it was their very cool armor and helmets that sparked my interest in all things Roman.  Now as a boring adult I content myself with a copy of Bishop and Coulston's "Roman Military Equipment" 2nd edition.  It's a scholarly read for sure, but I would recommend it to anyone interested in the Roman army, its soldiers' gear and how it was used.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Theoderic said:

Great piece Victrix.  A fragment of Roman armor is indeed a rarity and a distinct lobate hinge like yours just seems to have personality of its own. 

I have to admit that as an easily impressionable boy it was their very cool armor and helmets that sparked my interest in all things Roman.  Now as a boring adult I content myself with a copy of Bishop and Coulston's "Roman Military Equipment" 2nd edition.  It's a scholarly read for sure, but I would recommend it to anyone interested in the Roman army, its soldiers' gear and how it was used.  

Yes I have a copy of that and many more artifacts of the Roman military, it’s a great book although with quite a lot of wrong attributions. I would recommend Legions of Rome by Stephen Dando Collins, gives the history of every Roman Legion 🙂.

• Like 2