Alexander II?? If not, who??

Topcat7

I bought this coin as Alexander II but despite my best efforts to 'reference it I am not getting anywhere.

The figure on the reverse looks very familiar to me (representative of), but I cannot recall who.

Can anyone help me to confirm the identity of this coin please?

Weight 1.72gm., AR11.8mm.

_3__370-368_B.C._ALEXANDER_II__Kings_of_Macedon___O_a-removebg-preview.png _1__370-368_B.C._MACEDON_Alexander_II__R_-removebg-preview.png

Edited by Topcat7
  • Like 2

• Benefactor

I'm not sure from where/whom this is from, but it seems that even the auction houses above didn't know.

If I were to take a wild guess, I'd consider that there may have been a city called Aroanios in Arkadia. There was an Aroanios river and similarly named mountain, though no records I could find of a city. The style of the coin does seem Arkadian, but take my potential attribution with a grain of salt. There was also a city called Aroma in Caria, but the spelling was different.

However, it's definitely not Alexander II. The only coinage known from him are some bronzes. Here is mine.

331A3602-Edit.jpg.c153b744768f440a70b76f87cb9ba8cc.jpg

Makedonien Bronze Alexander II
370-367 BCE
AE 16.00 mm 4.80 g
SNG Alpha Bank 236
Male head right, wearing taenia / Horse galloping right

• Like 6

• Benefactor

Found some more info. I believe these coins shed some light.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1534205

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=681348

The nymph clearly looks like the one on the subject coin and the APOA text matches that on the coin @shanxifound.

I could find no direct historic mention that Philous was previously called Aroanios, nor can I find any mention for something other than a river (two mentions in Barrington

The two coins above are attributed to Phlious. So, I feel fairly comfortable that one of the following is true:
- At some point in archaic/classic times, Phlious was called Aroanios.
- There was another city not far from Phlious, called Aroanios, that minted coins during archaic/classic times but for which we have no other mentions

The reverse of this coin appears to be some form of statue. I have some other coins with images of statues from the area. 

ToposText has lots of mentions of Phlious. The ones from Pausanias are particularly interesting. I'm fairly certain that this statue/whatever is on the reverse has a strong connection to the city where it was minted. If this was Phlious, then you should find some mention of it.

FWIW, here is my coin from Phlious. Yours appears to have been minted roughly 100 years earlier, whether it's from Phlious or not.

Phlious.jpg.b9b955c463b22d207e9fcf6f4864c11e.jpg

Phliasia, Phlious
Circa 400-350 BCE
AE 14.09mm 1.25g
Obverse: Bull butting left
Reverse: Large Φ surrounded by four pellets
BCD Peloponnesos 107
Ex BCD Collection
Ex 1985 Frank Kovacs

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kirispupis said:

Found some more info. I believe these coins shed some light.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1534205

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=681348

The nymph clearly looks like the one on the subject coin and the APOA text matches that on the coin @shanxifound.

I could find no direct historic mention that Philous was previously called Aroanios, nor can I find any mention for something other than a river (two mentions in Barrington

The two coins above are attributed to Phlious. So, I feel fairly comfortable that one of the following is true:
- At some point in archaic/classic times, Phlious was called Aroanios.
- There was another city not far from Phlious, called Aroanios, that minted coins during archaic/classic times but for which we have no other mentions

The reverse of this coin appears to be some form of statue. I have some other coins with images of statues from the area. 

ToposText has lots of mentions of Phlious. The ones from Pausanias are particularly interesting. I'm fairly certain that this statue/whatever is on the reverse has a strong connection to the city where it was minted. If this was Phlious, then you should find some mention of it.

FWIW, here is my coin from Phlious. Yours appears to have been minted roughly 100 years earlier, whether it's from Phlious or not.

Phlious.jpg.b9b955c463b22d207e9fcf6f4864c11e.jpg

Phliasia, Phlious
Circa 400-350 BCE
AE 14.09mm 1.25g
Obverse: Bull butting left
Reverse: Large Φ surrounded by four pellets
BCD Peloponnesos 107
Ex BCD Collection
Ex 1985 Frank Kovacs

@kirispupis  Very interesting read.

I am happy to put the coin at 500-450 B.C.E. and I shall look into your other comments. Thank you.