Project complete! Coin cabinet!

CPK

5 hours ago, CincyDavid said:

Hi CPK,

What a wonderful and accomplished finished project you did, congrats. I'm wondering if you'd share how you calculated your cabinet size with your shelves? Did you determine a certain number of shelves, then build your cabinet around the final dimensions of the stacked shelves, or did you go about cabinet size in another method? 

What a great DIY coin cabinet; you have inspired me to create my own. BTW your pics of some construction details were pro quality, no doubt everyone appreciated the time you took to get the optimal angles, shots, etc.

CincyDavid

Thanks for the kind words! What I did first was roughly estimate what I wanted the cabinet's dimensions to be (I think I had in mind roughly 16" long and 12" wide & high.) Then I figured about what diameter each coin space needed to be, calculated about how many coin spaces I could fit on a tray, and adjusted the overall dimensions accordingly for symmetry. I ran into an issue with having enough wood and so the trays ended up being more like 15" x 10.5" or something like that.

As for shelf number, I didn't want the cabinet to be more than say 12-14" high so I figured about how many shelves could fit in that measurement, which ended up being 12.

I had the entire project drawn up, with every measurement calculated and accounted for before cutting a single board, so I knew what everything needed to be right from the start. There were some in-progress adjustments, but nothing too dramatic.

It was a lot of work but fun to make! The neat thing is, something like this can become part of your collection and be passed down with your coins. I'd love to see what you come up with!

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Coinmaster said:

Great work @CPK!!

I’m still pleased with my own cabinet, see: 

Thanks! Yours looks great. 👍

One thing I haven't quite solved yet is exactly how I want to label the coins in the cabinet. There's not much room for information on a small square/circle so I have to decide what I want to include and what not. Descriptions of the obverse/reverse are too lengthy to include. Originally I'd thought to record ruler, material/denomination, size and weight, reference number, and personal collection number.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CPK said:

One thing I haven't quite solved yet is exactly how I want to label the coins in the cabinet. There's not much room for information on a small square/circle so I have to decide what I want to include and what not. Descriptions of the obverse/reverse are too lengthy to include. Originally I'd thought to record ruler, material/denomination, size and weight, reference number, and personal collection number.

In a coin cabinet I'd like to look only at the coins. I know in general which coin is from a specific emperor. All specifications I keep in an Excel document and the background information (incl. life description, auction details and provenance) I keep in seperate Word documents. If you want, you could just give each coin (or each coin socket in a tray) a number that correspond with a Word document/description. You could print that and have all needed information at hand beside your coin cabinet. 👍🏻

• Like 1

Great work! I wish I could keep my coins in a cabinet like this at home, but I decided years ago that I have no quite minute unless my coins are stored in a safe place. Hence, my coins are in the vaults of the Swiss central bank. I guess this is equivalent to Fort Knox in the US 🙂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Coinmaster said:

In a coin cabinet I'd like to look only at the coins. I know in general which coin is from a specific emperor. All specifications I keep in an Excel document and the background information (incl. life description, auction details and provenance) I keep in seperate Word documents. If you want, you could just give each coin (or each coin socket in a tray) a number that correspond with a Word document/description. You could print that and have all needed information at hand beside your coin cabinet. 👍🏻

I really should just do that - it would be the simplest and easiest way to label them. But for some reason it's more fun to buy new coins than to sit down and catalog all my old ones. 😆

• Smile 1
  • Yes 1

3 hours ago, lordmarcovan said:

That cabinet is 100% classy!

Thanks! I did have to recently trim the width of the trays just a bit - I guess I made the tolerances just a little too tight, and some of them were starting to stick, making them difficult to pull out. Everything's fine now though. 😉