A well-centered tiny posthumous Alexander the Great

Valentinian

Everyone has heard of Alexander the Great. His large tetradrachms and smaller drachms are very common, although many—maybe even most—are actually not his, rather struck posthumously with his basic type. He died in 323 BC and many of “Alexander the Great” coins are dated later. I got this one for several reasons. It is an obol, which is an uncommon denomination for his coins. Among those obols, it is an uncommon type. Finally, it was  remarkably well-centered for such a tiny coin—the whole head is on the flan. Even with this enlargement the head is centered just right. 

image.jpeg.8bcb0bf793fa82c262491c5d8e20062d.jpeg

8 mm. 0.48 grams.  Usually called an obol. Price calls it 1/30 tetradrachm. Philip II (Alexander’s father) issued a coin denomination that scholars think was 1/5 of a stater (i.e. 1/5 tetradrachm) and that this tiny denomination was 1/6 of that (like an obol is to a drachm), making this a 1/30 tetradrachm.
Obverse:  The usual Alexander the Great design: Head of young Hercules right, wearing lion-skin headdress.
Reverse: Monogram in wreath, club, and bowcase. (Not the usual Zeus seated left holding out an eagle)
Price 3729, Babylon mint, “316-111” “dated to the time of Antigonus’ rule in Mesopotamia.”

Show us something related! 

• Like 17

• Benefactor

Very nice! Here's my issue from Aspesias.

331A5683-Edit.jpg.f1a588e0e7a58c8a42ea8fe89cf8fcbc.jpg

Kings of Macedon. Alexander III ‘the Great’
Obol Silver, 8.5 mm, 0.73 g, 1 h
Susa, struck under Aspesias, satrap of Susiana, circa 316-311 BCE
Head of Herakles to right, wearing lion skin headdress.
Rev. AΛEΞANΔPO[Y] Zeus seated left on low throne, holding long scepter in his left hand and eagle standing right with closed wings in his right; to left, wreath; below throne, K above monogram of ΠΡ.
Price 3860

Here's my Price 3729, though in much worse condition than yours.

331A0150-Edit-Edit.jpg.eef08b92bd24be8032ca805238e3131c.jpg

Alexander III
Babylon mint 317-311 BCE by Peithon son of Agenor
Hemiobol .46g
Head of Heracles right wearing a lion skin
Club, bow and quiver. Monogram to right
Price 3729

• Like 11

Nice coin! My example is the more common type. So many of these Alexandrine obols have a slightly barbaric style and may be imitative, as this one appears to be.

Kings of Macedon. Alexander III. 336-323 BC. AR Obol (10mm, 0.50g, 6h). Uncertain eastern mint, possibly imitative. Obv: Head of Herakles right wearing lion's skin. Rev: AΛΕΞNAR (sic); Zeus seated left, holding eagle and scepter. Ref: Cf. Price 4009 (similar style and fabric). Very Fine. Ex CNG 79, Lot 20. 

image.jpeg.b3f5c2215115ab4c167edcc9bb36c844.jpeg

• Like 9

Mine is very common and lower value, also with a club and bow case, although at least it isn't smaller.

Alexander the Great Unit, 336-323BC
image.png.a978b5575947fe00a2c0670701180de7.png
Macedon. Bronze, 17.8mm, 6.00g. Head of Herakles to right, wearing lion skin. Club above bow inside bowcase; AΛEΞANΔΡOΥ (SNG Copenhagen 1059).

• Like 7